Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   Can you travel to Amsterdam for the day from London? (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/can-you-travel-to-amsterdam-for-the-day-from-london-249654/)

Holly Aug 14th, 2002 02:38 PM

Can you travel to Amsterdam for the day from London?

Hello,<BR>I am visiting London for the first time in October. I'm sure I will be overwhelmed with all there is to do and see, but I was just wondering - can I visit Amsterdam for 1-2 days, or is it too far?<BR>Thanks for the advice

London / Amsterdam Aug 14th, 2002 02:41 PM

Less than 1/2 hour flight.

train Aug 14th, 2002 06:43 PM

How long by train?

Sjoerd Aug 14th, 2002 09:52 PM

About five hours by train; too long for a day trip.

BabyJane Aug 14th, 2002 11:01 PM

The only thing that might eat into your time is getting to your departure airport in London, especially if you're flying from Luton or Stanstead. It would certainly mean an early start for you.

PatrickW Aug 15th, 2002 04:37 AM

You can also fly from London City Airport. But unless you're staying over a Saturday night, you're likely to have to pay a pretty high fare.

Love Aug 15th, 2002 04:43 AM

You could fly from Gatwick or Heathrow on EasyJet.com<BR>Also try:<BR>www.aerfares.net<BR>It will compare all the prices for all the budget airlines between London and Amsterdam.

david west Aug 15th, 2002 04:51 AM

Can you do it? Just about.<BR><BR>Is it a good idea? No.<BR><BR>You will spend most of your time in transit and at airports.<BR><BR>If you can spare two nights its quite reasonable. Go by train.<BR><BR>Leave London at about 7am. Be in Amsterdam about 12. On your final day leave Amersterdam at 5pm be back in sunny London at 10pm. <BR><BR>(Watch out for time differences between Britain and those foreign johnnies)

Vincent Aug 15th, 2002 09:09 AM

BMI and BA fly to Amsterdam from Heathrow, which is closer to town, and they have now dropped the compulsory Saturday night rule to get the cheapest tickets, so it's not a bad idea (IMHO, Amsterdam is slightly overrated anyway and 48 hours are sufficient)

Tom Aug 15th, 2002 11:50 AM

I'm sure that hundred of business people do it every week. Maybe every day.<BR>

Graeme Aug 15th, 2002 03:37 PM

<BR>Hi Holly! As other posters have said, it IS doable, however my concern would be that you wouldn't want to return to London after the joy of Amsterdam. Just my personal opinion, I know, but I think it'd be better to spend all the time you want in London first, then spend two or three nights in Amsterdam, BUT don't return to do more of London, or only return there in time for your return flight home. Amsterdam is the ideal chillout city after the Big London Experience. All interests you may have can be taken at a much more relaxed pace in Amsterdam. It's quieter, smaller, and warmer.<BR><BR>I hope you enjoy both cities. They have so much to offer.