Can you tell me about the Mugello?

Search

Search this Thread

Old May 15th, 2008, 04:48 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My family is looking for an off-season rental house in Tuscany.

I have found a place I like the look of, but it's the Mugello, near Mucciano, in an area of Tuscany I have never visited.

Can you tell me what the Mugello is like? Being so close to Florence, is it at all suburban or overdeveloped? We're looking for a rural spot with decent access to good roads for daytrips.

We've stayed in Tuscany on three previous trips, but always near Siena.

Thanks.
Old May 15th, 2008, 05:05 AM

Myabe you should not trust me about what I am going to tell you about Mugello because I love it very much, let's say too much.
Yes, Mugello is close enough to Florence but very far, in the meantime, from the crowd areas well known to the worldwide tourism flow.
So that you can stay in small hilltowns, very pretty, as Borgo San Lorenzo, Firenzuola, Marradi, Palazzuolo sul Senio and meet only few tourists.
Mugello is a mountain / hill part area of the North-East part of Tuscany, close to Romagna.
There is a secundary railway, Florence - Faenza, which crosses the Mugello and enables you to have several delicious daily trips avoiding to drive.
Staying in Mugello it is possible also to visit Brisighella, not in Tuscany but in Romagna, a very delicious small town one of the finest in Romagna, where the olive oil is excellent.
Many and many festivals are in Mugello; tell me when you plan to come and I can tell you more and better about these kind of events.

Have a lovely trip, ciao.

Vincenzo

Old May 15th, 2008, 05:21 AM
Original Poster

Thank you so much, Vincenzo. This is just the sort of thing I want to know. Who better to answer the question than someone who loves the area?

Our trip is for the last two weeks in November, so I won't be surprised if there are no festivals planned.

The rental house I'm interested in is part of the Monsignor della Casa resort. Have you heard of it?

Thanks again for your help.
Old May 15th, 2008, 06:56 AM

Oh, it is still a good period for truffles and marroni, so yes, you will attend several events.
I know the resort where you're going because I know very well Borgo San Lorenzo and the resort "Monsignor della Casa" is close to Borgo San Lorenzo.
It is an excellent resort but, you must know, . . . . not cheap !!!

Vincenzo
Old May 15th, 2008, 08:17 AM
Original Poster

Oh yes, if we were talking about a summer visit, we could never afford that place, but in November ... just.

Thanks for your advice, Vincenzo. Now I just need to decide between the Mugello and the San Gimignano area.

You've been a terrific help!
Old May 21st, 2008, 01:46 PM

The Mugello is amazingly wild considering how close it is to Florence http://www.mugello-info.com/. Depending on your interests, you might want to investigate the steam train that runs along a circuit through the Mugello and on some days goes as far as Faenza and ravenna.