Can you take alcohol in carry on in Europe

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jun 10th, 2012, 07:10 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I am spending the summer in Germany, but will spend time in Sweden with friends. Can I bring a bottle of whiskey in my carry-on bag from Germany to Sweden or must I check the bag?
Old Jun 10th, 2012, 07:24 AM

You cannot take liquids of whichever kind in bottles/containers larger than 100 ml in your carry-on. Period.

I assume your whiskey bottle is bigger than that, which means the bag must be checked.
Old Jun 10th, 2012, 07:28 AM

They took a bottle of olive oil from a traveling companion when we were transiting from BCN to BOS at Frankfurt. No problem in Barcelona, big problem in FRA.
Old Jun 10th, 2012, 08:12 AM

You can purchase whisky or any other liquids after you check-in, in shops near the departure gates. Quokka is absolutely right on regulations regarding carrying liquids before checking-in, and yes if they find out that you have a container larger than 100ml in your in-flight baggage, they are obliged to take and confiscate it. This is an EU law (I am not so sure about other countries) and is done purely for safety measures.
Old Jun 10th, 2012, 08:18 AM

Ackislander the reason they took your oil off you is that you were in transit so went through another security section. They'd have taken your duty free purchased in Barcelona too.

Ibake you need to buy your whisky after security in the shops at the airport, and take it onboard in the bag which is supplied by the shop at the airport. Since it is an EU member it won't be duty free, but will be cheaper than you could get it in Sweden.
Old Jun 10th, 2012, 01:19 PM

Greetings. The whole carry-on alcohol is a mystery to me. My sister flew out of Frankfurt with NO liquids, creams, shampoos or other restricted condiments in her carry-on. However she did have two miniatures of brandy. At check-in it was decided that they were "liquor" (as opposed to what I'm not sure - hard vs soft?) and she had to put them in her checked bags. Because the rules are so varying, I just drink after I land.
Old Jun 10th, 2012, 01:33 PM
Original Poster

Thank you, it just means I will check my back pack..the whiskey is coming from the US...I wasn't sure if the same US laws applied while in Europe.
Old Jun 11th, 2012, 05:16 PM

Were her two little bottles the kind that ignite? I remember this stuff in Germany that came with the caution not to light a match near it! They used it to make Hunter's tea. That is classified as hazmat by the airlines. In the US you can fill your 3-1-1 bag with minis.
Old Jun 11th, 2012, 06:25 PM

Unless it is a speciality whiskey from the US, it should be easier to buy it at the Travel Value stores (ex duty free stores) after security when you go to Sweden. They carry most major brands, and you won't have to worry that the bottle may break and spill in your checked baggage.