Reload this Page >

Can you suggest an economical hotel near (London) Heathrow

Old Feb 11th, 2003, 07:57 PM
rex
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I am working my way through some of the later details of our May trip. We'll need to be as close to Heathrow as possible (one of our daughters is flying separate from us and has a VERY early departure) and still be affordable. We're shooting for $200 USD for two rooms (one double, one triple) per night for this trip, but that may be unrealistic for this one night. We'll be coming from Leeds by car, so I don't want anything in the city of London.

Willing to be some modest distance away - - I'll probably "practice drive it" the night before to make sure I know where I am going at 4 in the morning when she needs to depart.

The rest of the family can sleep in a little bit as out flight is much later, around noon.

Thanks in advance...

Best wishes,

Rex
[email protected]
Old Feb 11th, 2003, 08:26 PM
ron

There is a Travel Inn in Hayes, about 4 miles from Heathrow, £55 per room per night. Also a new one opening in May on the Bath Road even closer to Heathrow, see www.travelinn.co.uk
Old Feb 11th, 2003, 08:46 PM
rex
Original Poster

Guilty, once again, of posting before I put in much effort. I tried Travelocity and Yahoo, and I didn't much like what I found. But Orbitz led right to (what appears to be) a low cost gem "A night Inn" in Southall, part of the www.activehotels.com reservation system, a[[arently. A famiily room for 60 GBP (for the girls) and a double for only FORTY!

Anyone know this place? Searching "Southall" here on this forum refers to various good restaurants (the website for the hotel mentions these too), but nothing about accommodations there.

Looks like there might be more than one economical choice nearby.

Thanks, Ron.
Old Feb 12th, 2003, 05:57 AM
ron

Rex, My only knowledge of Southall is from colleagues born in India, who indicate that it is the centre of Indian (Punjabi) culture and life in London. I get the impression it is where the immigrants first settle upon arrival -- nice and close to the airport.If you have done a search, you probably came across the statement that 70% of Southall’s population is of Indian origin, some 50,000 people. It sounds like staying there would be a cultural experience. Do report back on your stay.
Old Feb 12th, 2003, 06:26 AM

Ibis is an inexpensive chain and they have one close to Heathrow. Travel Inn is not too far as well. There is a Best Western (check their website, I don't recall the name) nearby as well. It would not hurt to check the "chain" hotels, i.e. Holiday Inn, Sheraton. I know they are usually expensive but if you call and get an agent on the phone and see if they have any "deals" you might get something in your price range. It never hurts to ask. Even tho traffic will be light at 4 a.m. I would not stay too far.
Old Feb 12th, 2003, 08:25 AM
rex
Original Poster

to ron:

I suspect that our "visit" to Southall will consist of arriving around supper time, going for a curry dinner somewhere, and then get to bed. But even this will be a treat for us (especially our oldest daughter) - - I think it is one of the 3 or 4 leading things that came out of her undergraduate education is a love of Indian cuisine. She had an Indian student as a roommate 3 out of 4 years in college.

We would have sought out an Indian restaurant even if we were not in the "capital". Now, we may end up comparing whatever we find in Leeds the night before, to a place identified for us as one of the better ones in Southall.
Old Feb 12th, 2003, 09:00 AM

The Marriott Heathrow has deluxe rooms (1 King or two doubles) for 82 pounds a night (132 USD).
Old Feb 13th, 2003, 04:49 AM

hilton offers these on May 16 ... just a guess since you didnt say what dates
TIME TO FLY (TD) INC UPTO 4 DAYS CAR PARKING (details)

121.00 GBP QUEEN HILTON GUESTROOM
171.00 GBP QUEEN EXECUTIVE FLOOR
121.00 GBP TWIN HILTON GUESTROOM

WORLD OF SAVINGS (WS) 3 Day Advance purchase required (details)

170.00 GBP QUEEN HILTON GUESTROOM
220.00 GBP QUEEN EXECUTIVE FLOOR
170.00 GBP TWIN HILTON GUESTROOM

DAY USE RATES-SEE DESCRIPTION (DU) NOT VALID FOR AN OVERNIGHT STAYS (details)

149.00 GBP QUEEN EXECUTIVE FLOOR
225.00 GBP QUEEN HILTON SUITE

HILTON LEISURE BB (HB) RATE INCL BED AND BUFFET BREAKFAST AND TAX (details)

104.00 GBP QUEEN HILTON GUESTROOM
154.00 GBP QUEEN EXECUTIVE FLOOR
104.00 GBP TWIN HILTON GUESTROOM

HILTON LEISURE DBB (HD) RATES INCL DINNER BED BREAKFAST AND TAX (details)

134.00 GBP QUEEN HILTON GUESTROOM
184.00 GBP QUEEN EXECUTIVE FLOOR
134.00 GBP TWIN HILTON GUESTROOM

ROMANCE PACKAGE (RP) Champagne in room and full breakfast (details)

214.00 GBP QUEEN EXECUTIVE FLOOR

HILTON WEEKEND (HX) Inclusive of Buffet Breakfast (details)

104.00 GBP QUEEN HILTON GUESTROOM
154.00 GBP QUEEN EXECUTIVE FLOOR
104.00 GBP TWIN HILTON GUESTROOM

STANDARD RATE (details)

195.00 GBP QUEEN HILTON GUESTROOM
245.00 GBP QUEEN EXECUTIVE FLOOR
195.00 GBP TWIN HILTON GUESTROOM
450.00 GBP QUEEN HILTON SUITE
Old Feb 13th, 2003, 07:40 AM

Whoops..I mistakenly posted the answer to this on another post about London-Venice. However, we recently stayed at the Sheraton at Heathrow. We found it quiet,comfortable and easy to get to and from the airport. We thought about booking through the discounters but found booking directly through Sheraton was less $.
Old Feb 13th, 2003, 08:08 AM

In August we stayed at the Crowne Plaza Hotel at Heathrow which we got for 58 pounds through a special on their website:
www.sixcontinentshotels.com/h/d/cp/home
It was one of the best hotels we've stayed in - the queen size beds were amazing - we actually slept for 15 hours and didn't wake up because of airplane noise, people in hall, etc., it's noise-proofed that well. Our room included a great desk with modem outlet, a fold-out couch, bed and nice-sized bathroom. We got there on the Hoppa Bus #1, which costs 3 pounds per person one way (which certainly beats the cost of a cab) from just outside the terminal (it stops at all four terminals).
Old Feb 13th, 2003, 10:01 AM

Check out this website which lists all the nearby hotels. I think I stayed at the Travelodge and took the hoppa bus to Heathrow which was GBP 2.50 I believe. Very convenient.

http://www.travelguide.uk.com/southe...ow_hotels2.htm