Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Can you suggest a one-day return scenic route in a rental car from Florence to Pisa?

Search

Can you suggest a one-day return scenic route in a rental car from Florence to Pisa?

Search this Thread

Old Jul 31st, 2000, 06:51 AM
Scott McDonald

We have a rental car arranged for a day to travel from Florence to Pisa and back during our visit to Florence in mid-August. Can you suggest a route that will take us through the places we should visit en route? Are there any beaches nearby that we can stop by at with our teenagers? Any tips on parking in Pisa? <BR> <BR>Thanks in advance! <BR> <BR>Scott and Family

Old Jul 31st, 2000, 07:09 AM
BOB THE NAVIGATOR

Scott, The beaches at Viareggio will be <BR>packed in August but that is the logical <BR>place to stop. However, you should try to include Lucca in your sojourn. Many <BR>find it more authentic than Pisa. <BR>If you are ambitious and want to see a <BR>fabulous fishing village, go up to my <BR>favorite at Portovenere---at the north <BR>tip of the Gulf of La Spezia. You can be <BR>there in 2 hours and then come back thru <BR>Pisa on your return--that is a good day.

Old Jul 31st, 2000, 08:25 AM
gail

Scott: I have heard that Vinci and Lucca are very nice towns to visit. <BR> <BR>Have a decent map of Pisa if you are looking to visit the leaning tower. We wasted so much time trying to follow the signs from the autostrada! There is parking across from one of the entrances (near the baptistry side) that was safe. I can't emphasize enough to know your route in Pisa before you get there.

Old Jul 31st, 2000, 05:19 PM
gim

After driving through some beautiful scenery north west of Florence, we made a stop in Lucca,a lovely walled city. From the north, it is quite easy to find the center of Pisa because the tower is quite visible. There was parking along the side of the streets (pay), and in several parking lots near the entrances to the Leaning Tower area.

Old Aug 1st, 2000, 05:05 AM
Thomas

Scott 8/1/00 You might enjoy Lucca. Visit Puccini's home, now a museum. Stop by Montecatini and visit the spa. Go in and sample the "waters". But you have to be there early, before, 11am. The town closes up afternoon. There are several spas in Montecatini, a rather pretty town. Mostly Italian regulars return each summer.