Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   Can you stand one more stupid question on TGV from Paris CDG to Avignon? (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/can-you-stand-one-more-stupid-question-on-tgv-from-paris-cdg-to-avignon-661384/)

Linda431 Nov 29th, 2006 07:42 AM

Can you stand one more stupid question on TGV from Paris CDG to Avignon?

I can't seem to nail this down. Must be the stars are misaligned in my chart.

Anyway, Rail Europe has train number 5110 leaving CDG at 8:40:

http://www.raileurope.com/us/rail/po...0&s=Search

This booking site has number 5110 leaving at 10:10

http://www.bonjourlafrance.net/franc...lle-toulon.htm

I'm using the same bogus date (Dec 29) just to get a schedule up, but can you direct me to a TGV schedule that is definate?

Thanks!

ira Nov 29th, 2006 07:46 AM

Hi Linda,

Go to www.voyages-sncf.com, the French national rail site.

Please note that very long URLs mess up the formatting. It helps to copy these at www.tinyurl.com and post the short URL.

((I))

Linda431 Nov 29th, 2006 07:54 AM

Thanks Ira, will do.

Sorry about the long url,I wondered about that.

PalenqueBob Nov 29th, 2006 08:16 AM

On Dec 29 trains leave CDG TGV station direct to Avignon TGV at 8:40 and 11:40 and about every three hours thereon.

I get these schedules from www.bahn.de, the German Rail web site which has schedules for all of Europe and which i find the easiest to use - a good way to access the English schedule page of the German site is to go to: www.budgeteuropetravel.com and on their home page click on the link "All european Railway schedules" or some such wording and then up pops two boxes where you put in Paris Aeroport CDG and destination box Avignon TGV (Avignon Ville station is the old intown station but TGVs from CDG only stop at the new Avignon TGV station a few miles out of town and linked to the city by buses. Of course you put in the date and time you want to leave. The BETS home page i referenced also gives you several valuable tips on using the Bahn site.
Raileurope schedules are spotty as they don't nearly list all possible trains, but only ones they book tickets on. You can best purchase fares on www.voyages-sncf.com - often much cheaper than thru RailEurope, especially for discounted PREM's fares. If you want to go thru RailEurope then i always do advise going thru BETS whose home page i've refrenced as they are experts in French ticketing - but again thru RailEurope or BETS you not only often pay more but you pay a $15 per order booking fee and mailing fee.

If you're traveling enough check out the France Railpass, which starts from 3 days of travel in a one-month period for $177 p.p. on a saverpass in 2nd class - 3 days of unlimited travel - extra days at $26/day p.p. - first class passes are only about $30 more, so a better deal. With a pass you still have to make reservations on TGVs - 3 euros in France, but since the pass can be used on any train, if landing at CDG and wanting to go on the next available train the pass could be good - if you buy a discounted PREM fare you usually i think can't change it so if the plane is really late - zilch. For pass details again BETS is the best source in my experience (800-441-2387).

Dukey Nov 29th, 2006 09:05 AM

National railroad schedules will often change on 10 December for the "winter" season.

Assuming the SNCF folks have already loaded those changes in, I suspect the SNCF site may be your best bet.

Leburta Nov 29th, 2006 12:15 PM

How long does it take to get to Avignon from Paris on TGV? Is it worth a day trip to go that far?

PalenqueBob Nov 29th, 2006 12:25 PM

Paris Gare de Lyon to Avignon TGV station is just over 2.5 hours, plus a short shuttle train into town - say 3 hours each way.

Worth it? IMO yes - to whet your appetite for Provence and one of its neatest oldest most historic towns - the Palace of the Popes is a monumental edifice where the Popes hung out for some time in medieval days and the town is thorough old looking - quaint as the British are fond of saying.

And to me the train ride is great too - thru the signature Burgundy countryside of rolling hills punctuated by small villages with slender church steeples and vineyards.

Price: if considering doing this there is a special one-day France Railpass going for $90 - allowing you to come and go at that price in the same day. (details call BETS 800-441-2387) but i'm not sure of when that special expires - otherwise scour www.voyages-sncf.com for PREM's - deep discounted tickets. Full fare would be about $100 each way i believe, but no one in France pays full fare anymore!

Leburta Nov 29th, 2006 01:14 PM

Thanks, Linda, for posting "one more stupid question", and thank you all for your information. This little side trip is quite tempting!

TimS Nov 30th, 2006 07:20 AM

Leburta, your earliest train leaves Gare de Lyon at 06:20 and arrives at Avignon TGV at 08:56. Your last train leaves Avignon TGV at 21:01 and arrives at Gare de Lyon at 23:40.

The one-day France railpass for $90 US is a good deal if you can get it for the time you'll be traveling. You'll need to make reservations for the TGV which will cost E3 each way if you wait until you get to France to do it. Be aware that train companies are allowed to limit the number of seats they allot for railpass holders.

The regular 2nd class fare is around E75, but PREM'S (discount) fares are as low as E35 (2nd class) and E45 (1st class). Book PREM'S online at sncf.com up to 90 days in advance. Book as soon as the 90 day "window" opens to have the best chance of getting tickets. You print PREM'S yourself. Be sure to leave France as the default country and do NOT choose cancellation insurance or you won't be allowed to print the tickets.