Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   Can you sleep on the plane over and back? (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/can-you-sleep-on-the-plane-over-and-back-605910/)

Heavens Apr 7th, 2006 08:27 AM

Can you sleep on the plane over and back?

On the overnighter, and then the return, which for us, will be all day. Can you sleep? Any tricks? I would love to sleep longer than ten minutes...

sandi_travelnut Apr 7th, 2006 08:29 AM

lots of old threads about this. I use Ambien and sleep like a baby. I take only 5mg and get a good 4 hours.

xaroula Apr 7th, 2006 08:36 AM

I fly trans-atlantic flights quite frequently. The ONLY way I can sleep on them is if I am lucky enough to have a row to myself to lie down -- then I am asleep in a few minutes. I have noticed (in the past few years) that NEVER happens anymore!

I've taken pills (only OTC as I do not have a sleep disorder) and tried all kinds of strategies. Nothing works. I usually end up watching the stupid movies.

Dramamine knocks me out on ferries but doesn't do a thing on a plane :( I wish I knew what to do, it always makes the first 2 days of my trip exhausting.

On the return, I don't bother, it's usually just your day anyway -- leave in the morning, get back in the evening -- why sleep?

nytraveler Apr 7th, 2006 09:09 AM

I sleep both ways - but then I've been sleep deprived for years and have been known to nod off while standing on the 40 mph Broadway local.

Usually Dramimine does it for most people - and help with any turbulence as well.

Neopolitan Apr 7th, 2006 09:16 AM

Dr. Dewars provides my needed prescription.

Carrybean Apr 7th, 2006 09:20 AM

I've never been able to sleep on a plane - ever. Coming back, it's no problem but I sure am groggy for a couple days going over.

laughingd2 Apr 7th, 2006 09:28 AM

I've come to the conclusion that good sleepers are born that way. My wife has NEVER been able to sleep on a plane, while I snooze away. Nothing she's tried works. So on this topic, the old saying applies: If you think you have a solution, you're part of the problem!

suze Apr 7th, 2006 09:28 AM

Nope, I have never slept on a plane in my life (sorry to say, but some people simply can't). I take valium from my doctor which helps pass the time but does not knock me out.

Recent trips, rather than stay up reading and figiting thru the night (this is a red-eye west coast US to London), I put on the eyemask BA gives you, use the the headphones tuned to the most bland music on offer, slippers on, blanket over me, and close my eyes. I still don't actually sleep but feel much better on arrival and less like i've "pulled an all nighter".

grandmere Apr 7th, 2006 09:31 AM

Sleeping is not my strong suit even on the ground, and I have never slept en route to Europe. I have napped a bit on the return, probably b/c of getting up so early to get to airport, etc.

In addition to being sleep deprived, it makes it seem even worse to look around the cabin and see everyone else apparently asleep! As years go by, however, I'm getting more resigned to it, and just make sure I have something good to read.

CVerga Apr 7th, 2006 09:38 AM

I agree with SandiTravelnut that Ambien does the trick. On my flight from California to Rome, I waited until we took off from Phili then I took an Ambien and slept for 5 1/2 hours. We arrived in Rome in the morning and I felt great. Also, a nice, comfortable sleeping mask that blocks out the light helps. My dr. wrote me a prescription when I requested it to help me sleep on the plane. I have used Ambien before when traveling and it can really make a big difference. The nice thing about Ambien is that it allows you to sleep for about 5 hous and wake up not feeling groggy. Just don't mix them with alcohol.

DRJ Apr 7th, 2006 10:00 AM

Mega cocktails and Biz class does the trick. No brainer.

FainaAgain Apr 7th, 2006 10:17 AM

I can sleep a couple of hours at a time since I bought the Eagle Creek horse-shoe shaped pillow. I don't blow it up to the maximum, so it feels soft. And I fly "cattle".

Dallas Apr 7th, 2006 10:28 AM

Sleeping on the plane is just not an option for me -- ever! I have to stay awake and make sure the pilot doesn't need me! And, like some others have said, the next day I'm more or less a zombie. Can't sleep the night before, because I'm too excited and can't sleep on the plane the next evening, so by the evening of the day I arrive, I sleep like the dead. But after that, I feel fine.

Michel_Paris Apr 7th, 2006 10:34 AM

On a tangent...somewhat related...I have taken to gradually adjusting my internal clock before getting on the plane...so I go to bed a 9PM, wake at 5AM...so when I do go on the plane, I already feel likes it's beddiebye time...I also drink a lot of water, avoid the coffee and wine, and maybe/maybe not have dinner, take off shoes, put headset on quite jazz/soft rock channel and...zzzzz..I usually can get in 3-4 hrs of ok sleep time

RufusTFirefly Apr 7th, 2006 10:38 AM

I usually manage to nod off about 3 minutes before arriving at our destination.

Guy18 Apr 7th, 2006 10:39 AM

I take an anti-anxiety drug (I am nervous about flying, after all :) ) and doze happily through the flight. Otherwise, it's sheer torture.

travman Apr 7th, 2006 10:39 AM

I'll echo others on this forum WRT Ambien. I've tried over the counter junk, but it either doesn't work and / or makes me groggy way past when I want to be. I first used it to go Australia and just told my Dr about it and he prescribed 5 mg. I'm able to get about 6 hours of really good sleep with the Ambien and I don't feel groggy afterwards. If you time it right, you can use it to force yourself onto the new timezone. I also typically use it the first night there to help get me on the right timezone. I haven't tried Lunesta, but asked my Dr about it (just went to Australia again) when getting a refill and he said that if Ambien worked for me that I might as well stay with it. One thing to note is that Ambien wasn't covered, or at least wasn't well covered, by my insurance. It cost like $30 - $40 for a 20 count prescription. well worth it for me...

aj Apr 7th, 2006 10:39 AM

No and No...I have tried meds but they don't work. I have just learned to sit patiently and listen to the children cry!
I really envy those who can sleep in flight.

chandrayoung Apr 7th, 2006 10:44 AM

i am usually a light sleeper and can only doze off in the best of conditions, HOWEVER...

found out the hard way the otc allergy medication Benadryl will leave me drooling on my keyboard within 1/2 hr of taking.

bad for work but awesome for falling out like a log no matter where i am. i've been mis-medicating every flight since!

Larry_M Apr 7th, 2006 11:43 AM

Every flight is the same for me. Whether it's duration is to be 45 minutes or 10 hours, I get drowsy shortly after take-off, my eyelids weight about 12 pounds, and I fall dead asleep ... for all of 20 minutes. I am then wide awake for the rest of the flight.

I'v tried boozing, not boozing, eating, not eating, listening to music, watching movies, reading, finding someone boring to talk to, taking sleeping medication, doing nothing, counting sheep, etc., etc., etc. Nothing seems to work. After my little nap, I'm done.

The one good thing is that, upon arrival in Europe, I am so wired that I can usually go all day without a problem, then sleep like the dead that night.