Reload this Page >

can you see any scenery from the TGV?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 20th, 2002, 07:44 AM
molly

I've been reading through old posts about travelling to the south of France from Paris. Many people recommend driving or taking the train over flying because then you can see the scenery. But, does the TGV go so fast that all you are really seeing is a blur? Thanks.

Old Jan 20th, 2002, 07:47 AM
Annie

You can see the countryside and the train stations.

Old Jan 20th, 2002, 08:10 AM
mimi taylor

It is really nothing special to view but looking at the new extension to Marseilles does look promising as you pass through some natural habitat, I read they removed some nests to other areas while construction was going on.

Old Jan 20th, 2002, 08:21 AM
John

Up close everything is pretty blurry when the train's hauling derrier, but more distant scenery is still there. On the main roads the scenery's not all that inspiring anyway for most of the way - the autoroute is pretty high-speed, the lesser roads inevitably trafficky and you'll end up following some truck, so your view will be of his brake lights. Get there rapidly by whatever means, then savor the countryside at a more leisurely pace.

Old Jan 20th, 2002, 10:26 AM
Bob Brown

Just don't blink!!!!<BR>When that baby is hitting 300K, you don't really feel it in the car until you pass another TGV going the opposite way at the same speed. There is a whoosh and you feel the change of pressure on your ears.<BR><BR>You don't get that click clack as the train wheels go over the joints in the track because the TGV rails are longer than American style rails, and they are very carefully fit together between joints. <BR><BR>I agree with all of the other comments.<BR><BR>The real contrast comes when you switch to a slower train. That is when 70 mph feels like you are crawling.<BR>

Old Jan 20th, 2002, 02:27 PM
John G

I have take the TGV for Lausanne to Dijon and from Dijon to Paris. I remember everything being blurry and foggy. It certainly wasn't as spectacular as taking the "slow train" from Garmishe to Zurich, where the scenery was unbelievablly beautiful. But, maybe, that was because of the landscape itself and not the speed of the train. <BR><BR>Another thing I do remember about the TGV--the scenery was better on the inside of the train. I was in 1st class and some of the other passengers were Parisian models, jet setters, aristocrats, etc. I sat next to a French count and his wife and they practically told me their life story. It certainly was a memorable trip.

Old Jan 20th, 2002, 04:39 PM
Sash

BEWARE AND don't get stuck in the 'smoking' car because everything will be a definite blurr!!! Les Francais aiment leurs cigarettes!!!<BR>Enjoy the ride; it's quite unique.

Old Jan 20th, 2002, 05:02 PM
Bob Brown

On the smoking car issue, AMEN.<BR>It is so bad that smokers opt for non smoking cars. When they need to relieve their addiction they go to the smoking car, but then return to their non smoking car seats. I walked through one of the fumers once to get to the snack car. I had to take it on faith that there was a door at the other end because I could not see more than 12 feet in front of me. I tried to hold my breath, and arrived about ready to explode at the other end, but I made it.<BR>I have often wondered why lung cancer, heart disease, and various smoking related forms of cancer don't affect the French and Spanish. It must be a genetic weakness in the States that causes us to die of cancer related causes.<BR>That must not be true in France because the population continues to expand.<BR>