Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   Can you remain logged in lately (11/18 to 21/04)? (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/can-you-remain-logged-in-lately-11-18-to-21-04-a-487079/)

cmt Nov 21st, 2004 05:49 AM

Can you remain logged in lately (11/18 to 21/04)?

I can't. A few days ago, for several hours I couldn't log in, couldn't post and couldn't open threads, and when I did seem to post, the post didn't always appear, or it later disappeared (harmless post). Now about half the time I can't get the page to load. I can log in easily, but as soon as I leave the page for a moment, I get logged off and need to log in again when I return, even if I've had Internet Explorer open the entire time.

sfowler Nov 21st, 2004 06:14 AM

I've had trouble too -- just had to log in twice to post this -- if it posts :( I wonder if the site is mourning the departure of Danny????

HowardR Nov 21st, 2004 06:21 AM

cmt, you are not alone! Besides all the problems cited, this is my third attempt at posting a response....and each time I had to reregister!

rex Nov 21st, 2004 06:31 AM

At the risk of an over-simplified "diagnosis", clearly the site is experiencing some difficulty with the part of its software that "reads" cookies (i.e., that knows it's "you" when you attempt to make a posting or "log in"). Dozens of people have reported this difficulty over the past few days - - including Danny Magnin himself saying he couldn't even post his own goodbye as a new thread here onthe Europe forum!

So, it seems to go without saying that they know the problem is there.

I'm not faulting you, carol... for posting (again) about a problem that "everybody already knows about". Indeed, it is exactly when these kinds of problems exist, that one must NOT assume that you have "read all the posts".

But maybe it is time for Travel Talk to add a new forum called "How the Forum is (or is not) functioning" - - (acknowledgment: no doubt others can propose a better name!) - - a geography-free forum where "we" can go to comment on how the forum IS (should be) operated - - and quickly drawa a bead on what is going on, when malfunctions are being tackled.

In their defense, there is the "announcement" on the forum (up at the top of the lefthand column) stating that they are aware of the problem(s) and working to address the difficulties.

It may well be that in an era of fiscal constraint, they are not "working on it" 24/7 in ccordance with the severity of the addiction that some of us feel!

Best wishes,

Rex

Intrepid1 Nov 21st, 2004 06:59 AM

Personally, I'm getting tired of typing a reply and then not having it appear or being asked to log in again, and again...and again.

The imposition of fiscal constraint may be directly related to how much revenue, good will, or both this "service" brings to Fodors.

BozoTheClown Nov 21st, 2004 07:01 AM

Wow. That's a really good suggestion I think, Rex. In the interim tho, I suppose we could list our problems...

Mine is that from time to time (as a lurker mostly) the left column of messages goes blank, (sort of, meaning, that I'll see the "change forum" drop down, the Forum - Europe, the Message from Fodors.com and the Quiz, but, none of the messages, it just then drops to the "From the Fodor's Blog" part.

I think it's a really good idea tho, to have a "Problems with Fodors" forum, that perhaps developers within fodors would read more frequently...

PLMN Nov 21st, 2004 07:06 AM

Bozo,

The same thing happens to me. Also all the other problems also. PLUS it often takes a VERY long time for the pages to load and I have broadband.

I will report my problems because sometimes in order to fix something all reports of problems may be helpful.

sheila Nov 21st, 2004 07:08 AM

This is the second time I've had to log in the last few days and the first since I registered.

What message Rex? I can't see one.

sheila Nov 21st, 2004 07:08 AM

Yes I can. I just didn't spot it.

nytraveler Nov 21st, 2004 07:18 AM

Yes - it's making me log in again for some posts - but not others - can;t figure out why. And it's making me log in even though my screen name is clearly listed right above the reply box.

Perhaps I'm suspected of being some sort of imposter? Or perhaps Fodors is thinking of dropping the Talk forum - and is using this "subtle" means of driving us all away.

cigalechanta Nov 21st, 2004 07:20 AM

I've had to log on every day, the last few days and some posts not appearing.

NYCFoodSnob Nov 21st, 2004 08:50 AM

I'm sure there's a problem with the code and finding/fixing the problem is time-intensive and expensive. Also, I wouldn't be surprised if some of the downloading issues are server related. Considering the state of the web hosting industry these days, it's a miracle anyone's high-traffic website works.

The NY Times has one of the most state-of-the-art websites out there. Their interactive media features are a class act. Maybe Fodors should give someone over there a call and get a few IT recommendations. Get ready for lots more advertising. IT hourly rates (especially if you hire the best) are soaring. Welcome to doing business on the Internet.

ps If you guys need some names, I might be able to help.

SharonNRayMc Nov 21st, 2004 09:35 AM

I find it very frustrating. When I look deep into my chrystal ball, I see that these problems will pass in time and life will go on.
-Sharon

degas Nov 21st, 2004 10:50 AM

NYCFoodSnob, I bet your little black book is worth a small fortune.

cmt Nov 21st, 2004 11:54 AM

Is a chrystal ball one that's made of chrysoprase or chrysolite instead of crystal? If so, I think we'll have a hard time reading it.

kswl Nov 21st, 2004 01:34 PM

I kept trying to post a reply to a question I actually could answer definitively, and my prose would vanish each time I tried to send it. I kept shortening it and shortening it until it was down to about three words. When that, too, vanished, I decided that the Gods of Travel had pitched it, and that maybe it wasn't really as helpful as I'd thought!

Cassandra Nov 21st, 2004 01:43 PM

I think the website is protesting Danny Mangin's departure.

Completely amnesiac, in any case. Now I see me, now I don't. There's the US board, woops-there it goes.

janis Nov 21st, 2004 02:10 PM

There have been several (probably 6 or 7) threads about glitches over the last week or so. Unfortunately, Fodors nuked each of those threads so everyone just thinks the problems are new, or that they are the only ones affected.

There has been a rolling variety of problems -- it seems as they get a handle on one another gets worse. the log off seems to be the biggest bug right now. But don't hold your breathe - it will be something else tomorrow . . . . .

SharonNRayMc Nov 21st, 2004 02:22 PM

Crystal ball says it might have had something to do with the new color scheme!!!

-Sharon

LoveItaly Nov 21st, 2004 02:23 PM

kswl - I too lost posts and had the same thought as you "well maybe my ideas weren't that great anyway". LOL.
:">