Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Can you recommend accommodations in Oslo, Bergen and along the Norway in a Nutshell Route?

Can you recommend accommodations in Oslo, Bergen and along the Norway in a Nutshell Route?

Feb 12th, 2001, 03:40 AM
Paige

Hello! We're looking for centrally located hotels, pensions, B&B's, etc, for around $100 for a double with private bath. We prefer quiet locations close to the main sights. Along the Nutshell route we'd like to be close to public transportation in very scenic spots with hiking possibilities nearby. Any recommendations? I tried Skansen Pension in Bergen but they're booked. We're going the last week of May. Thanks!!

Feb 12th, 2001, 11:47 PM
Paige

Anybody?

Feb 13th, 2001, 04:40 AM
Christine

Hi Paige, I wish I could help you out. But on our trip to Norway we're staying in Cabins and Hostels in double rooms with private baths (this might be an option for you to explore), but we'll be there during high Summer season so don't know if they'll be open yet while you're there.

One classic hike you might be interested in is the supposedly very scenic 5-6 hour hike from Osterbo to Vassbygdi near Flam/Aurland, trail head accessible by bus. But of course you'll have to check on route conditions for late May. I can give you more particulars if you're interested.

We are renting a car through Avis, but it looks like you are planning on using all public transport. Did you see the "Norway Bus" thread where Bjorn gave me some excellent public transport information?

My husband and I are planning to stay in Switzerland until at least April 2002 (gotta get in another ski season!). We've been here since January 2000 and were living in Holland the 10 months before that.

Have you tried skiing in Flims/Laax yet? It is our favorite resort in CH. It is probably about a 2.5hr drive from Munich. There is some awesome hiking around here (just south of Luzern) if you're ever interested just email me and who knows we might be able to join you if you're ever interested in hiking in Central CH.

P.S. You wouldn't happen to be an Aerospace contractor?

Feb 13th, 2001, 05:16 AM
Marija

The Stalheim hotel is grandly situated on the Norway in a Nutshell route, at the tip of the narrow fjord. Buses stop there. I understand it's very crowded in season. We stayed there in mid May several years ago and were the only guests in the entire hotel since it had just opened for the season. We had a great time. From the Stalheim we took a bus and then ferry to Balestrand where we stayed overnight before catching a boat back to Bergen.(We started out in Bergen and then took a bus/ferry to the Hardangenfjord where we stayed overnight in Ulrik. Then we took a bus to the beginning of the Nutshell train route. After the boat down the Naejofjord, we got off the bus at the Stalheim and spent the night there.) Norway was incredibly easy to get around in by public transportation. Boats, trains, buses, everything was coordinated.

Feb 14th, 2001, 01:40 AM
Paige

Marija, do you happen to have the schedule for buses and ferries to Balestrand from Stalheim? If not, do you remember how long it took to get there? Thanks!

Feb 14th, 2001, 05:11 AM
Marija

It was a beautiful bus/ferry trip from the Stalheim to Balestrand. We had to take two buses and a ferry. The total trip time was less than two hours, I think.

Feb 14th, 2001, 12:24 PM
Bjorn Alvik

Hi, Page
This message just for "topping"
20 years ago, the Aurland valley was like the last wilderness in Norway. Huge demonstrations when the new road and the waterfall regulations were decided. I happend to get the tour from Fins thru Osterbo down the vally the year before works started. Three years ago I did a roundtrip by car, and still I think the valley has much to offer. Especially from Osterbo and downwards. But the virtuality is not the same as before. Anyone can get to Osterbo nowadays. But things changes, and McDonald may take over.
Bjorn