Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Can you recommend a great London Restaurant to celebrate special occasion?

Oct 26th, 2007, 04:31 AM
Original Poster

G'day from "down under"!

My husband and I will be celebrating our 10th Anniversary in London (in May) and are looking for some suggestions of a nice restaurant for the occasion. (Long way to travel for a great dinner, huh? hee hee)

Location: We are staying near the Waterloo railway station, so anything in that vicinity would be great!

Price: Let's say limit of approx UK 75 per person (including a bottle of red wine.)

Cuisine: This is pretty "open" - possibly French or Italian.

We often eat Asian & Indian on a regular basis, so we might rule them out to try something different.

Also not into alternative foods [eg. goat's curd cheese, if you get my drift] or vegetarian meals.

Realise everyone's tastes are different when it comes to restaurants - but I'm hoping some locals can point me in the right direction.

It would help us if you could include with your suggestion the Cuisine type of the restaurant.

Thanks & Cheers ..
Oct 26th, 2007, 06:43 AM

Well, seeing as you've suggested French, I really enjoyed Galvin and it should fit within your price range.

http://www.galvinrestaurants.co.uk/
Oct 26th, 2007, 08:19 AM

The Wolseley. Classified as "Modern European."

http://www.thewolseley.com/
Oct 26th, 2007, 08:30 AM
ira

Hi J,

Goat cheese is an "alternative" food?

For a real English dinner - no fancy froggy food, alternative foods or cutting edge foods, and within your budget - I suggest Simpson's in the Strand.

http://tinyurl.com/yvds9n

Oct 26th, 2007, 08:39 AM
hsv

If you fancy Italian without the ordinary red sauce concoctions (not that there's anything wrong with that), I do like Alloro.

It features excellent cuisine in a central location (next to Brown's Hotel, close to the Green Park and Piccadilly tube stations) and a 3-course dinner should not exceed GBP 30.00 - 35.00, which is outstanding value for money.

You will have to allow for a bit more for a bottle of very nice wine, but in a very expensive city, they manage to remain reasonable.

The service is very welcoming and attentive, too.

http://www.alloro-restaurant.co.uk/
Oct 26th, 2007, 08:40 AM

I've been to the Wolselely many times for lunch or afternoon tea and always enjoy it. That said, I don't think of it as a special occasion restaurant (and not for a romantic anniversary dinner, for one thing it's much too loud).

My first choice for a celebration French dinner would be Petrus. http://www.gordonramsay.com/petrus/

There is a three course menu option for £65. With service charge added, that would take it up to your £75.

Admittedly, that's without wine. FYI, don't be scarified by the "wine list highlights" pdf, look at the full wine list, there are plenty of more reasonable offerings.

However, I think it's worth saving a bit to bump up the budget for the wine as well. And who knows, maybe the £ will weaken against the Australian dollar...
Oct 26th, 2007, 08:47 AM
hsv

I guess I agree with BTilke on the Wolsely (cheers to you, BTilke, we appear to agree on more things - and actually only one we don't ;-) ).
I rank it among my favourite places and I go there regularly, but a for a romantic dinner, I would choose something more intimate.
Oct 26th, 2007, 09:14 AM

Hee hee. I guess I am outnumbered. I think the Wolseley is great at capturing the energy of London for tourists to the city and a great place for a celebration. But a destination for lovers looking for a dark intimate corner in which to coo at one another over their coq au vin, the Wolseley is not. (Although I have seen that and more on several occasions there.) Anyway, take the advice of BTilke and hsv if quiet intimacy is the goal.
Oct 26th, 2007, 09:46 AM

Really good and also atmospheric/romantic for French would be La Poule au Pot between Victoria and Sloane Square. It's a wonderfully pretty place with candles and super food. Should fit within your budget pretty easily.
Oct 27th, 2007, 01:57 AM
Original Poster

G'day all! Thanks for your replies. It gives us some "food for thought" - so to speak (hee hee).

Just thought I would add that although it is a special occasion, we don't necessarily 'need' a romantic dinner .. we would prefer great service, not a kiddies place, with A1 food. Somewhere that is not so busy that they "whip them in and whip them out" but then again not a boring, deserted place either. I guess "value for money with a nice atmosphere" may sum it up.

Once again thanks for your suggestions .. it gives us some avenues to explore.

Cheers

Oct 27th, 2007, 04:08 PM

Two solid French places I can recommend: Bleeding Heart--nr Hatton Garden on the western border of City, I'd opt for slightly less formal bistro. Charming decor, good services, excellent meals.

Another place that had opened more recently is La Petite Maison nr Bond St (around the corner from Claridge's). It's more southern French (the branch of a famous Nice restaurant)--in May, al fresco dining may be beautiful if the weather is nice. Well-executed dish, I found portions are on a large-ish scale relative to other posh places in Europe.

Oct 28th, 2007, 02:03 AM

Le Gavroche (near the American embassy) has a lunch menu for £48 inc 3 courses/petit fours/amuse bouche/ half a bottle of wine/bottled water and coffee. It's old school French, I think they have 2 michelin stars. Evening menu is considerably more expensive.

Oct 28th, 2007, 03:47 AM

Le Gavroche is the Roux (sp?) brothers' place. Bloody good but fearfully expensive. Whatever you thought you were going to pay - double it.

I think they worked out my bill using some form of quantum maths.

If you can get out of there for less than a ton a head please let me know how.