Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   Can you recommend a great 3 star ski resort in France, Italy, or Switzerland? (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/can-you-recommend-a-great-3-star-ski-resort-in-france-italy-or-switzerland-18090/)

Lisa Oct 21st, 1997 12:28 PM

Can you recommend a great 3 star ski resort in France, Italy, or Switzerland?

We are looking at ski packages to the Alps and I can't choose from so many possibilities! Is there a 3 star hotel with good food and charming atmosphere where the skiing is great for skiers of varied abilities? Can anyone suggest a favorite?

mark Oct 23rd, 1997 10:16 AM

If you could give me a ballpark range of your budget on a per person basis I might be able to help. I've skied Austria the past 4 years and will be taking a group to Italy in Jan. France and Switzerland will be much more expensive than Italy but France probably has the best snow. Regarding countries here's a quick rundown based on my personal experiences and speaking with many skiers who have been: 1) best snow-France 2) best food-Italy 3)best towns-Austria. Switzerland of course is still the prime area but can be very pricey. Try Chamonix, Trois Valees' or Courcheval in France; Gindelwald, Interlaaken or Verbier in Switz. For Italy -- Cortina is very nice but if you're less than an intermediate skier, it might be difficult. Val Gardena and Courmayer are also great. In Courmayer, you can ski over into France. If you want to consider Austria (very affordable), I had the best ski vacation of my life in St. Anton and Kitzbuhl is a beautiful town. Let me know if I can answer other questions.

Paolo Oct 31st, 1997 04:50 AM

Lisa, although I'm Italian and I have skyed almost every resort here, none has enchanted me like Murren in Switzerland. It's a resort where car are not allowed. You can get there only by cable car. We stayed at the Hotel Bellevue-Crystal, ph 011-41-36-551401 fax 011-41-36-551490. Owners Vreni & Kurt Huggler are very kind and speak good english. It's a small but very kozy hotel. My wife and I loved it. Paolo

Norman Sherran Nov 1st, 1997 09:45 PM

In my opinion France has the best sking however the towns are not quiant. Reguarding other comments I have read. Kitzsbuel is not very high and the weather is not reliable. St anton is a zoo in the main season. The Tois Vallies in France are great. Val de Sere is also good sking. In Courmayer italy you can only ski to France late in the season and you can not ski back to the main part of town. You should pick a resort with Mountians that are high.

BOB THE NAVIGATOR Nov 2nd, 1997 11:50 AM

I am not a skier, but I do know that Switz. is too
expensive, France is too French, and the most
inexpensive option is in the Dolomites.
Try a web site at " VAL GARDENA" and check
out the village of Ortesei. Real cute and easy
access off of the Autostrada south of the Brenner
Pass. Get you car in Munich to save $---or train to
Bolzano. Also, check out the " DOLOMITI SUPERSKI PASS"----good deal for the area.
Lots of cute hotels-----many with web sites and
email. I was there in Oct. and loved it.