Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Can you recommend a French chateaux inn or quaint B&B?

Old Nov 10th, 1997, 06:49 PM
Tom

After spending several days in Paris we plan to travel by train or car throughout France. Rather than stay at "hotels" we'd love something special and more personalized like a chateaux or B & B....any recommendations or warnings to stay away from? Thanx, Tom

Old Nov 26th, 1997, 11:00 AM
kelly roberts

Wonderful idea. Hotel Cathedral in Strasbourg is fantastic, huge room and not expensive. Have one in chateau country to recommend as well, will give you the name when I think of it. Stay away from the "Comfort Inn" in Reims, terrible dormitory. Everything Fodor's suggests has been wonderful.

Old Nov 26th, 1997, 09:14 PM
Donna

Check out Karen Brown's guide at your local bookstore. Wonderful suggestions.

Old Nov 27th, 1997, 08:55 AM
Melina Snowden

I noticed you were looking for someplace special outside of Paris, but what about during your stay in Paris?

A short while ago, when desperate for a luxury hotel during Parisı fashion week, I discovered one of the cityıs best kept secrets. La Vie en Rose is an experience Iıll never forget, not just because it was so wonderful and boy was it, but because of all the goodies I got to bring back with me!

A romantic location -- behind Notre Dame, on the Seine, overlooking the Ile. St. Louis -- that canıt be beat is coupled with lovely 1930s and modern design decor. The owners have thought out every hedonistic details from the wealth of soaps and bath products in the mirrored and marble bathroom to the lovely robes that you take home with you for free! I had never stayed on a boat before, but the experience was terrific -- so private. Only one couple at a time visits, and is lavished with free champagne, gourmet breakfasts, fresh flowers plus all the conveniences you would expect from a five star hotel -- phone, fax, VCR with a library of films, stereo with a library of CDs.

I was worried that it would be hard to get to, but the boat is so well located, just below the Restaurant Tour DıArgent that that is all I had to tell my taxi drivers. I discovered La Vie en Rose on the web at www.la-vie-en-rose.com completely by accident, following a link from another site. I emailed the owners and asked millions of questions. They were patient and timely with their answers, so I decided to give it a try. Boy, am I glad the George V was full! Now I would never stay anywhere else.

Old Nov 27th, 1997, 08:56 AM
Melina Snowden

I noticed you were looking for someplace special outside of Paris, but what about during your stay in Paris?

A short while ago, when desperate for a luxury hotel during Parisı fashion week, I discovered one of the cityıs best kept secrets. La Vie en Rose is an experience Iıll never forget, not just because it was so wonderful and boy was it, but because of all the goodies I got to bring back with me!

A romantic location -- behind Notre Dame, on the Seine, overlooking the Ile. St. Louis -- that canıt be beat is coupled with lovely 1930s and modern design decor. The owners have thought out every hedonistic details from the wealth of soaps and bath products in the mirrored and marble bathroom to the lovely robes that you take home with you for free! I had never stayed on a boat before, but the experience was terrific -- so private. Only one couple at a time visits, and is lavished with free champagne, gourmet breakfasts, fresh flowers plus all the conveniences you would expect from a five star hotel -- phone, fax, VCR with a library of films, stereo with a library of CDs.

I was worried that it would be hard to get to, but the boat is so well located, just below the Restaurant Tour DıArgent that that is all I had to tell my taxi drivers. I discovered La Vie en Rose on the web at www.la-vie-en-rose.com completely by accident, following a link from another site. I emailed the owners and asked millions of questions. They were patient and timely with their answers, so I decided to give it a try. Boy, am I glad the George V was full! Now I would never stay anywhere else.

Old Nov 27th, 1997, 06:37 PM
kelly roberts

Remembered the name, Le Blason in Amboise. Right in the heart of chateaux country. Wonderful food and service.

Old Nov 30th, 1997, 06:48 PM
Dan

How much are you willling to spend? My wife and I have travelled to Europe four times now and we've developed a "tradition" of splurging on our last night there, usually in a first-class inn or hotel within an hour or so of whatever airport we have to be to the next morning. (E.g., and for future reference, the Oakley Court in Windsor, 45 minutes from Heathrow; the Zum Ritter in Heidelburg, 1 hour from Frankfurt airport).
On our first visit to France in 1992 we stayed the last night at the Chateau D'Esclimont, a 16th century palace within shooting distance of Orly. I think it's a Relais & Chateaux property so you can get recent rate info. from them. It was fantastique - including the room service dinner we treated ourselves too, served in courses by a very attentive staff. Couldn't have been more pleased with our choice.
More recently, in April of 1997, we stayed the last night at Les Crayeres in Reims (about 90 minutes to Charles de Gaulle Airport). This is a Michelin 3-star place and the restaurant is considerd among the best in France, and we won't argue the point because it was a gastronomic feast. Gerard Boyer and his wife, the owners, add real personal touches.
Also, going back to that first trip to France, after leaving Paris we stayed for three nights at the Domaine de la Tourtiniere, a country hotel (about twenty rooms or so to best of my recollection) in Montbazon about 6 miles south of Tours. Our room, actually a suite, was in the top-floor turret; we were there in early March and the place had just reopened for the season so it was uncrowded and the owners were very accomodating. We were within an easy drive of many castles and medieval towns along the Loire - Saumur, Chinon, Azay-le-Rideau, etc.
If you want to have a central place in the Loire Valley from which to do easy day trips, this is as good a place as any. Bon Voyage!

Old Dec 4th, 1997, 07:56 AM
Wayne

If your plans include Rouen, try Le Chateau, a short distance north of town near Buchy. It is a our favorite in Normandy. Great location for the trip enroute to the Normandy coast. Be sure to follow their suggestion for dinner at the l'Auberge de la Varenne, haut gourmet at small town prices.

Old Dec 17th, 1997, 05:55 PM
Julian Chang

Try the Chateau du Pray right outside Amboise.
Another favorite of ours about an hour outside of Paris in Burgandy was the Abbey St. Michel just outside of Tonnerre.