Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Can you please review our Switzerland itinerary (based in Grindelwald) ?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jul 31st, 2012, 06:02 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Can you please help us review our Switzerland itinerary and make recommendations ?

We are a family of 4, 2 adults and 2 kids ages 10 and 7. We are arriving in Switzerland between Aug 11th - 16th and in Rome from Aug 17th - 20th and leaving to US on Aug 21st.

I have already finalized my Rome itinerary.

Here goes my Switzerland itinerary, the days are interchangeable.

Aug 11th: arrive in Zurich, take a train to Grindelwald where we are based for 5 nights (Hotel Eiger). We are planning to just relax on this day although we arrive in Zurich in the morning, just dealing with jet lag.

Aug 12th: Planning to do the Grindelwald - Mannlichen by cable car and then do the hiking till Kleine Scheidegg. From here we are planning to go up to Jungfrau, do the Ice Palace.
Do you recommend doing the dog sledge here with kids ?

Aug 13th: Hiking around Grindelwald : Planning on taking cable car to First., hiking to the Bachalpsee (1 hr),, and then down to Waldsplitz (another hour), hiking downhill to Bort (downhill about 45 min ), planning to rent Trottibikes (scooters) for a fast, fun trip the rest of the way down to Grindelwald.

Aug 14th: Interlaken and doing Lake Brienz or Lake Thun crusing. May be the biking tour in Interlaken. Here is what I am not too sure, whether to do Interlaken or something else and how far is each one via Train. Which lake is better to do boat ride ?

Aug 15th: Mount Pilatus, via Lucerne. Is there a better way of getting here ? Planning to do the Suspension Rope Park here and spend the day and get back to GW in the night. I have also heard good things about Mt. Titilus. Any suggestions ? Will we still have time to tour around in Lucerne after Mount Pilatus ?

Aug 16th: Leave Grindelwald to Brig to take Glacier express to St.Moritz. Spending the night here and leaving on 17th to Zurich to fly to Rome ! Whew..

We have already purchased the Swiss Pass.

Would appreciate any help and also suggestions for good restaurants around the areas we are covering..

Shubha
Old Jul 31st, 2012, 08:04 PM

So you basically have two mornings in the BO. Watch the weather carefully as soon as you arrive in Grindelwald so you can have an idea which day is best to head up to the Jungfrau. Wake up early the first morning and see what the weather is doing. Head to the train station if it looks good. Grab something at the train station for breakfast and eat it on the two hour train ride.

I would do the Jungfrau in the morning and then hike from KS to Mannlichen (2 hrs or so at most) and return to Grindelwald in the afternoon, when the weather up on the Jungfrau might be more cloudy but hiking is still great.

There are inner tubes and a zipline on Jungfrau so those would be fun for the kids. It can be cold up there so be prepared. You can always pop into the cafe for a hot chocolate.

Something else the kids might like is the Trummelbach falls in Lauterrunnen. You can catch the post bus in front of the train station in Lauterbrunnen to the falls and then back to catch your train to Grindelwald.

With your limited time, you can even do the Jungfrau in the morning if you catch the first train, 7am-1pm. Hike KS to Mannlichen after lunch (1 1/2 hrs). Cablecar from Mannlichen to Wengen (15 min), train Wengen to Lauterbrunnen (20 min) and post bus (15 min) to the falls in the afternoon (2 hrs). Take the post bus back to the Lauterbrunnen train station (15 min)and catch your train back to Grindelwald late afternoon. (30 min). Back early evening in Grindelwald for dinner.

The BO region is one of our favorite in all of Europe.
Old Jul 31st, 2012, 09:24 PM

> I would do the Jungfrau in the morning and then hike from KS to Mannlichen (2 hrs or so at most)..

Isn't it nicer to do it from Männlichen toward KLS so that you walk seeing Jungfrau, Eiger, Mönch, etc in front of you? At least that's what I thought.

I heard from a friend living in Interlaken that MANL - KLS trail (quite easy walk) was modified for the time being due to some kind of construction/renovation work and the modified route was much more difficult. I heard it about 1 month ago and don't know if it is still the case today. Just googled quickly but could not find anything concerning this. I might be able to ask my friend about the actual situation. Or you can write e-mail to Wengen or Grindelwald tourist office.
Old Aug 1st, 2012, 04:56 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
if you walk from kleine scheidegg to mannlichen you are walking up hill.

and as noted, the spectacular view will be behind you.

i have never seen anyone walk from ks to mannlichen.

thin
Old Aug 1st, 2012, 05:30 AM
Original Poster

Yeah, I agree with previous poster about going from KS to Mannlichen, it is uphill so we would be doing the Mannlichen to KS route. Thanks.

Any comments about the other parts of the itinerary ? Appreciate your comments.

Shubha
Old Aug 1st, 2012, 06:02 AM

As for the lakes, you might prefer Brienz. It's easier to get to, the boat leaves from Interlaken Ost, across the street from the train station. And if you get off in Brienz town, you can catch the connecting bus to the Ballenberg Open Air Museum. This is quite a big place, like a mini-Switzerland, with houses in all the styles of the different cantons, and enactors demonstrating old-time trades, like cheese-making and wood-carving. Here's a link: www.ballenberg.ch.
Old Aug 1st, 2012, 06:09 AM

Received 22 Likes on 4 Posts
I would not leave the Berner Oberland to travel to Lucerne. There is no comparison as far as the beauty of the scenery.
Old Aug 1st, 2012, 06:31 AM

i agree with happytrvlr.

there is no reason to go all the way to luzern to see mt. pilatus when you are going up to the jungfrau or can take the gondola to the schilthorn.

thun is just as pretty as luzern. no need to travel over two hours to get to luzern when you can walk around thun.

thin
Old Aug 1st, 2012, 06:34 AM

and i really don't agree that it is easier to get to lake brienz rather than lake thun from interlaken.

you get the boat launch to lake thun from interlaken west station, which is just a 10-minute walk from interlaken ost.

it really is no hardship to walk down the main street in interlaken to get to interlaken west.

thin
Old Aug 1st, 2012, 06:35 PM
Original Poster

Mimar, thanks for that link, I will def consider it.

Happytrvlr, we may skip Lucerne and do something else.

Pepper_von_snoot, how do we get to schiltorn ? Is it a short gondola ride from Grindelwald ?

If we don't do Lucerne , we may have an extra day. What do you all suggest for that day, in BO area ? Is Lauterbrunnen valley good enough to spend an entire day ?

Thanks for your help
Old Aug 1st, 2012, 08:19 PM

Wow, you must be a fast walker, Pepper. Google Maps says 21 minutes minimum. Once in Interlaken with our Swiss Pass we took the train from Interlaken West to Interlaken Ost -- because we were footsore.
Old Aug 2nd, 2012, 03:18 AM

> I heard from a friend living in Interlaken that MANL - KLS trail (quite easy walk) was modified for the time being due to some kind of construction/renovation work and the modified route was much more difficult. I heard it about 1 month ago and don't know if it is still the case today.

Just to reassure you, I have spoken with the friend from Interlaken : the situation I wrote above around lasted for 2 weeks and has been back to normal now. It was caused by the fall of some rocks on the hiking trail but obviously it is fine now.
Old Aug 2nd, 2012, 05:56 AM

to get to the schilhorn from grindelwald--

take train from grindelwald to zweileutschinen--get off and wait for interlaken train going to lauterbrunnen

at lauterbrunnen, walk under the road to grutscalp gondola

at grutscalp, get on the train to murren

at murren, walk through the very pretty town to the schilthorn/gimmelwald gondola station--it is a straight walk down the main street

another place you can visit in the bo--schynige platte

the train ride up from wilderswil is absolutely breathtaking

at schynige platte, you and the family can hike up to the panaramaweg to see the view over interlaken

there is a hotel, restaurant, cafe, flower garden, teddy bear museum, play ground at schynige platte

thin
Old Aug 2nd, 2012, 06:13 AM

The suggestion to go up the Schilthorn instead of traveling all the way to Luzern ( or Alpnachstad) for Mt. Pilatus ( about 3 hours each way) is a good one. You could make a very nice day of it visiting the Lauterbrunnen area, including Trummembach Falls. The children will be free on the Schilthorn cable car, assuming you have the Family Card.

The Lauterbrunnen Valley is the next one over from Grindelwald. You will see it from you Mannlichen walk, as the Mannlichen ridge divides the two valleys. There are two ways to get there from Grindelwald: the faster way is by train,with one change at Zweilütschinen. The more fun and scenic way is up and over the Mannlichen ridge, either by train to Kleine Scheidegg and down to Wengen, or by gondola up to Mannlichen and cable car down to Wengen. Either way you ride the train down to Lauterbrunnen. You could go to Lauterbrunnen the short way and return the fun way if you want to make a loop.

From Lauterbrunnen you have a choice of two ways to reach the Schilthorn cable car. The first is to go upmto Mürren by cable car and train, and board the Schilthornbahn at Mürren .. Or you can take the Postbus the short ride to Stechelberg, where you board the first segment of the Schilthornbahn and ride up to Ginmmelwald and on to Mürren. Then you continue up and up to the top. There is a restaurant up there but it is expensive, and there are better choices back in Mürren. So I suggest when you are ready to depart the summit, you descend as far as Mürren, and walk through town to find lunch. If you and the children like Asian/.Chinese food, Tham's is casual and has great food. For Swiss, try the Stägerstübli. Great Rösti! Or stopnat the Coop market for picnic supplies and find a bench with a view.

After lunch, walk the steep paved path down to Gimmelwald and catch the cable car down to Stechelberg. Mthisnis a thrilling ride as it swings out away from the cliff. You may see paragliders above and below you.

You can return to Lauterbrunnen by bus, or walk the river path. Cross to the other side of the Valleynif you want to see Trummelbach Falls,which thunders and cascades through a chasm it has carved innthe mountain. You ascend by elevator and walk back down alongside the cascades on a safe but exciting pathway.

From Lauterbrunnen you return to Grindelwald by ones of the routes above.

A couple of suggestions for Grindelwald. For you day at First, you can add the zip line ( First Flyer) from First to Schreckfeld, and then walk down to Bort for the Trottibikes. Mthere is a combined ticket for this. But be sure and check the ages for the Trottibikes--- the 7 year old may jot be old enough or big enough. Mor maybe this child can ride with a parent.

Places to eat: to be continued.
Old Aug 2nd, 2012, 06:29 AM
Original Poster

Thanks kappa1 for such a prompt response.

Pepper, thanks a lot for your suggestions. So, is Schillthorn in Lauterbrunnen ? Is it a town by itself ? And schynige platte, how far is it from GW ? Sorry for dumb questions, this is all new to us

And if do the lake cruise in Interlaken, would we still have enough time to visit the open air museum and get back to GW the same day ?

Thanks
Shubha
Old Aug 2nd, 2012, 09:22 AM

The Schilthorn is the mountain above Murren opposite Wengen. Travel either via Lauterbrunnen, Grutschalp and Murren take the cable car or bus to Stetchelberg and cable car via Gimmelwald Murren, Birg to Schilthorn. Schnyige Platte access via Wilderswil by cog wheeled train to a superb viewing area and alpine garden above the Lauterbrunnen valley with views towards the Jungfrau and in the other direction towards Interlaken and the lakes.

If you do a like cruise make it Lake Brienz, Interlaken to Brienz and take the bus from outside the station in Briez to Ballenberg, and yes it's doable in day the Museum doe's open until 10 am. Return to Interlaken Ost by train which is a lot quicker. If you don't have a pass of any sort then buy return tickets at the start of your journey. This is where the Swiss Pass becomes useful, because entry to Ballenberg is included as part of the Mueseum Pass element of the Swiss Pass
Old Aug 2nd, 2012, 09:52 AM
Original Poster

Thanks Enzian for such a thorough reply, need to def print out and digest it a quick question, i am assuming your suggestion is to do the entire trip one day right ? ( Lauterbrunnen , Schillthorn and Trummembach falls).. And I am guessing schynge platte is another day trip.. Can't wait for your restaurant suggestions yep, we love Asian food, how did you figure that out ?

Tipsygus, thanks for your suggestion.. We will def do that day trip..

We have purchased a first class Swiss pass, I am not sure if we need to buy BO pass..

Thanks
Shubha
Old Aug 2nd, 2012, 10:44 AM

Hi again--Schilthorn is the mountain peak above Lauterbrunnen and Mürren. Luaterbrunnen is a small town or village in the Lauterbrunnen Valley. Mürren is a small car free village perched on the bench several thousand feet above the valley. If you have ever been to Yosemite, the Lauterbrunnen Valley looks similar, a glaciial valley with cliffs and waterfalls. But there is a town in the valley and villages perched on the cliffs on either side. Mpicture a village ( Mürren) up where Glacier Point is in Yosemite. Gimmelwald is another, smaller village on the path below Mürren. You are likely to encounter cows in the alpine pastures above Mürren if you go walking there. I thinkmthere is a children's adventure trail you can access by the Allmendhubel funicular.

Going up the Schilthorn to the top may be redundant if you are going up the Jungfrau. But you seem interested in visiting summits ( like Pilatus) so it was suggested as an alternative without the long train ride. Actually you could have a really nice fun day visiting Mürren, riding the funicular ( much less expensive than the cable car to the summit) and walking down to Gimmelwald, then visiting the Trummelbach Falls.

I actually did not guess that you are Asian, but mentioned Thams as lots of visitors ( especially kids) tire of Swiss food ( all that cheese,) and long for vegetables and maybe something spicy. They purchase fresh veggies in Interlaken and cook them in wonderful authentic dishes.

Schynige Platte is a ride in a cogwheel train that I do not thinks as much fun for the kids as the other suggestions. It is the start of a wonderful long hike whichnI have done, but that is too much for children. Personally I wousd not go up Schynige Platte just to ride the train and get the views.

Back to the restaurant suggestions for Grindelwald:

Onkle Tom's Hütte is a small A-frame near the end of the pedestrian zone which serves great thin-crust pizza and nice salads. The outside tables are very nice in the evening.

Above town, on the Terrassenwe, Hotel Bodmi serves nice Swiss and continental food on a deck with a beautiful view across the valley to the mountains. It is right next to the landing area for the paragliders, so you may be treated to a show--- the kids would like that. One table on the deck is reserved for the " pilots."
Old Aug 2nd, 2012, 11:04 AM
Original Poster

enzian, thanks again for quick response. Yes, as I started out mapping these spots, I think it may be too much for my kids to go up to Schilthorn since we would have already done Jungfrau. But may be a good idea to visit the towns and do the Trummelbach falls. I will also look into the children's adventure trail you mentioned. If you have a link or additional info on that, please pass on.

Thanks again, for the restaurant options. I particularly interested in Swiss food, since we are going to eat a boat load of pizza in Rome, unless it's really different in Switzerland

Shubha
Old Aug 2nd, 2012, 11:11 AM

shub: I don't know what map you are using, but I've found that it's best to plan while envisioning it all in 3 dimensions instead of the usual 2.

This online map might be helpful, if you haven't already discovered it.

http://mappery.com/map-of/Jungfrau-G...ion-summer-map

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -