Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Can you help with cost estimate for gas & tolls in Italy?

Old Mar 5th, 2004, 12:43 PM
Original Poster

Hi all, sorry about the long title.

My husband and I will be in Italy in just a few short weeks (finally! , and we are trying to determine whether or not we should keep our plans to hire a driver or rent a car and drive ourselves. If the difference in cost is significant, we will rent a car rather than hire a driver.

Let me provide the details of our itinerary:

If we were to rent a car, we would pick up the car in Venice and drive to Siena. Our hotel in Siena has parking at no charge, so that is not an issue. We would spend one and a half days just wandering around Siena on foot. Another day, we would tour the hill towns south of Siena. On our last day, we would tour the hill towns north of Siena and ultimately end the day in Florence where we would return the car. Doing this, we would save the cost of train fare between Venice and Siena.

As an estimate, how much can I expect to pay for gas for these distances?

Approximately, how much are tolls?

Are there hidden expenses I am not counting on? Say, paying for parking in or around the hill towns?

I found a quote on AutoEurope.com for a compact/manual transmission $284 for the specified pick-up/drop-off locations. As a comparison, the private driver for two days of touring plus the cost of train fare between Venice and Siena, is near $600. Gas, tolls, and parking would have to come in around $200 (or lower) for me to consider it a significant/worthwhile difference.

I don't know if anyone can really answer this question, but I thought I'd just ask and see if anyone could help.

Thanks!
Old Mar 5th, 2004, 01:01 PM

MammaLove, I can't speak to your exact route but in October we picked up a car in Florence, stayed in Siena, visited all over Tuscany by car then drove to Positano and eventually dropped the car off in Rome. Our gas and toll costs (the toll portion was from Siena to Positano to Rome) was about $175. Although gas costs more, the small cars are very fuel efficient and tolls total were about $45. Personnally, I'd vote for the car. We visited Cortona, Montelpulciano, Montalcino, Siena, Pienza, Greve, Radda and San Gimignano and only had to pay in Siena. We could have avoided this by parking back at our hotel which was slightly outside Siena and taking the free bus into the city but we were starving and didn't want to take the time.
Old Mar 5th, 2004, 01:03 PM

I can't iamgine that costs for tolls and gas for that distance would come in anywhere near $200. Even if gas were $5 per gallon you would have to drive 900 miles in a compact car for it to cost $150. And there's no way tolls are more than $50 (most of your driving will not be on toll roads for that itinerary - but on local roads which are free). It's not like you'll need to pay to park in the hill towns - there are usually plenty of parking spots if you look a little.

I would definitely drive youself - I would imagine you'll save at least $200
Old Mar 5th, 2004, 03:21 PM
rex

You can get estimates on both of these costs on www.mappy.com or on viamichelin.com - - though I seem to recall that Mappy may be rather inaccurate on tolls in Italy.

Best wishes,

Rex
Old Mar 8th, 2004, 04:20 PM
Original Poster

Thanks all for your help. We have decided to go with a car rental.

Thanks for the viamichelin.com advice. It doesn't seem to be giving any gas estimates though? Anyway, it's a pretty good resource for figuring out day trips from Siena.
Old Mar 9th, 2004, 05:30 AM

renting a car again this year...going with the mercedes compact which was tremendous on mileage last year...benzene (gas) was nearly $11E a litre but the cars there get double our mileage and it's not so bad...tolls from rome to florence are about 30E...check for "alternate-day" road closures along your route if you decide to deviate from the autostrada..and make sure you make provisions for returning your car if your plane is leaving early am and the rental agency is closed....locking the keys and just leaving it is a no-no...
Old Mar 9th, 2004, 05:11 PM

Just got back and we rented a car in Venice. Autoeurope was great. I was very apprehensive after reading horror stories on this site. We reserved the car online in the US and went to Venice with the confirmation we received in the US. After showing them the confirmation, we received a FREE upgrade. The car was a diesel. We went from Venice to Verona (4 euro toll) then north on the western side of Lake Garda (no toll road), then north to Bolzano, Castelrotto then east to Innichen, Cortina, etc. (still no toll road - note: if you want to see the sights, stay off the toll roads. Purchase a Michelin guide spiral bound map book - about $30 - has enlarged maps of all of Italy. You can find all of the scenic raods as they're marked on the map). Back to our trip... from Cortina, we went south on the autostrada back to Venice. The toll was 5 euro. That entire circle took LESS than one tank of gas. That was a 4 1/2 day trip, too!
Old Mar 10th, 2004, 06:50 AM
ira

t
Old Mar 11th, 2004, 08:57 AM
Original Poster

Thanks! I appreciate your very specific information! I'm feeling better about this every day! Did you buy your Michelin map in the US or did you but it in Italy?
Old Mar 11th, 2004, 09:17 AM

Txrangerterry, I'm curious which agency AutoEurope booked you with. Was your pickup at Piazza Roma? What time of day did you pick up? We pick up a car via AutoEurope at Avis on a Saturday morning. I've heard about lines of an hour or more to get a pickup.
Old Mar 11th, 2004, 02:15 PM
Original Poster

Nevermind, I found it today at a local bookstore for $20.