Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page > Can you help us with Norway/Stockholm days prior to cruise?

Can you help us with Norway/Stockholm days prior to cruise?

Aug 9th, 2003, 08:48 AM
Original Poster

Can you help us with Norway/Stockholm days prior to cruise?

My wife and I arrive in Oslo 6 nts/7 days prior to leaving on Radisson cruise from Stockholm the next Friday at 6pm. We are comfortable with major sights but the logistics are still puzzling. Could you help us please with observations / suggestions, etc.?

1. Arrive Oslo Sat noonish and will probably stay at First Hotel Millennium. Thought we would take Historic Oslo walking tour that afternoon.

2. Sunday ferry to Bygdoy; Viking Ship; Fram; Kon-Tiki; Maritime and Folk Museums.

3. Monday ~ leave for Bergen and certainly want to make Nutshell centerpiece. I have read about the Bergen/Bergen 12 hour trip ~ sounds great. Does the Oslo/Bergen Nutshell see the same sights? Is one itinerary better than the other? I saw on the railroad website that optionally they "take care" of your luggage ~ anybody used that service ~ observations? Probably stay Clarion Admiral Hotel (best rooms?).

4. Tuesday ~ Hanseatic Bryggen; shops along harbor; funicular to Floien. Thinking of taking the train that night from Bergen to Stockholm via Oslo. They have one that leaves at 10:58pm and arrives Stockholm next day at 1:25pm. That way travel while we sleep and see some countryside the next day. They talk about a couchette (on InterNordNight train). What is a couchette? Does it have a bathroom (w/ or w/o shower?)? Does it gives us privacy? Any observations about 1st class vs. 2nd class! Can you save money by booking the Nutshell from Oslo and the trip to Stockholm at same time/same ticket? We looked on Rail Europe website. Are their cheaper websites to purchase tickets? I looked into SAS plane tickets from Bergen to Stockholm. Cost will be $400 one way or $300 RT (yes ~ it is crazy but RT is cheaper than one way) and then not use return portion.

5. Wednesday ~ Kaknastornet television tower; museum Nordic History. Probably stay Lady Hamilton.

6. Thursday ~ Djurgarden visit Vasa Ship Museum and Skansen folk museum and walking tour of Old Town.

7. Friday ~ don't know but ship leaves at 6.

The transportation questions abound. Nutshell from Oslo to Bergen or Bergen/Bergen. Overnight train is it clean and a fun trip ~ what about the cochette, etc. Best place (cheapest/easiest) to puchase train tickets. Blow off the train from Bergen to Stockholm and take SAS, etc.

Thanks for your knowledge and suggestions.
Aug 26th, 2003, 09:09 AM

Did the Oslo to Bergen N in a Nutshell this June. Nice. If you have time, stay overnight at the Sondheim hotel after you get off the fjord boat (before you get back on the main train line.) SPectacular scenery. We did it from East to West, so you hit that hotel about 4 or 5 pm. A good place to spend the night if you have time. Otherwise, it is another 2 or more hours till you hit Bergen.
Don't miss the Vasa museum in Stockholm. Email me if you have questions.
EK
Aug 26th, 2003, 10:54 AM
ira

Hi Philip,

Couchettes are lowest level sleeping arrangements. I don't know if they have only 2 to a compartment. I have seen them as 4 and 6.

If you are over 40, you probably want a sleeper for two.
Aug 26th, 2003, 01:15 PM

I'd add the Nordic Museum on Djurgarden, but think you've already got too much planned on Thursday.

We spent about 6 hours doing a self guided walking tour of Gamla Stan, including stops at several sights. It was a great day, and I wouldn't want to shortchange either Gamla Stan or Djurgarden.

Search this Thread