Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Can you help me find a nice triple or quad in London and Paris?

Mar 3rd, 2001, 10:09 PM
amanda

I'm helping a friend plan a trip to London and Paris for her family which includes my friend, her husband, a 14-yr old, a 2 yr old, and my friend's parents who aren't in the best of shape. I've been to both places a number of times, and am familiar with locations and hotels that I like, but I'm not sure they're particularly suited to this family's needs, and they're not going to be either place long enough for an apartment rental.

They're looking at doing either a quad room (I know, difficult to find) or a triple(still difficult to find) with either a child's bed for the toddler, or just a double and a twin and let the little one sleep with mom and dad. The triple would be both easier to find and less expensive, but I worry about there being enough space for all of them. Also, because of the grandparents' health, they need to be somewhere very close to public transportation -- no 10 minute walks to Tube/Metro. Finally, they really don't want to resort to a Holiday Inn/ Travelers Inn/ IBIS kind of hotel: they want quaint, charming, and "European" at around $200 a night (for the larger room).

Can you help??? Anyone have experience with triples/quads in Paris (5, 6, 7 arr. preferably, although 1 and 4 OK too) or London (I usually stay in South Ken and environs but don't know if that will be too pricey -- ideal hotel would be around a 20 minute or less walk to West End, near restaurants and pubs) that are charming, convienient, and not too cheap? And please remember that I'm the messenger: I've already voiced cautions as to hotel room sizes, prices, availibility, but I promised I'd give it a try. So don't shoot me!

Thanks!

Mar 4th, 2001, 01:27 AM
Kimerley

We stayed in a triple room with ensuite at the Grosvenor Court Hotel in Bayswater.5 minute walk from Paddington station or if need be take a cab. Lift to all rooms although there are 3 stairs in the foyer. Shops and laudramat across the road. It was renovated in 1998 and was really quite nice. They do have quad rooms.
Do a search, you will find different prices depending on the site for this hotel.

Mar 4th, 2001, 06:46 AM
Christina

Here are several "charming" French hotels in Paris that have moderately priced quads and are extremely close to metro stop: Hotels Duquesne Eiffel and la Bourdonnais in the 7th arr (near Ecole Militaire metro, Bourdonnais is within one block, Duq. Eiffel closer to 2 blocks I think), and the Hotel Relais du Louvre in the 1st arr, just east of the Louvre (within a block or so of two stops, Louvre and Pont Neuf). I think all would be very good for your friend's purposes (I believe you can view all on www.hotelboulevard.com). I also want to comment that one reason I suggested these is not only the value, style, and proximity to metro but because they are very near a bus line, which I think may be important for the elderly parents in not-so-good health. Even if you are close to a metro stop, using the metro can be extremely exhausting in Paris, the metro itself may involve a lot of walking underground and lots of steps. If they cannot walk a few blocks to a metro stop (to me, that's 10 minutes, in travel brochure lingo I know a ten-minute walk to a public transportation stop usu. means closer to a half mile or more), they will not be able to use the metro very well in any case due to exhaustion. Lots of tube stops in London were the same way and involved lots of walking, and things may have changed there since I haven't been in a few years, but it seemed like the escalators were frequently out of order there.

Mar 4th, 2001, 06:56 AM
Ursula

Amanda: Check out the official Paris hotel guide:
www.paris-touristoffice.com.
especially for triples and quads.
You can find by area, arrondissements, price, metro stops, etc.
Besides that, I would recommend the Best Western chain. www.bestwestern.com.
They have plenty of good standard hotels in Paris, left an right bank. For booking, however, I would directly call or fax hotel as BW Head Office might tell you it's booked which sometimes is not the case. Bonne chance!

Mar 4th, 2001, 12:28 PM
Sue

Check out the specials at www.londontown.com They have several Radisson Edwardian hotels at 42% off; the Savoy Court is 132 GBP + tax (17%). And it has family rooms. There are other more expensive ones, too; i.e., the Kenilworth at 167 GBP (I think). The Kenilworth is very nice in Bloomsbury area; I don't know about the Savoy Court. Both are close to tube stops and many buses.

Mar 4th, 2001, 12:30 PM
Sue

The Savoy Court is near Marble Arch and the Hyde Park speakers corner.

Mar 4th, 2001, 12:52 PM
Leslie

Two years ago our family of 4 stayed in an excellent quad room (ensuite) at the London Guards Hotel in Bayswater. One double bed, one single, and a double sofa bed. No view to speak of, and the breakfast was so-so..Also, caution, ask for this extra large room as they showed us another quad that was much smaller. I see it on www.hotel-assist.com for 100 - 130 pounds per night. On a quiet side street, about a 5 min walk to bus line and 10 min. to tube stop. Though I must say, with a babe and elderly, highly recommend they plan on using taxis which are great in London and easy to catch everywhere.

Mar 4th, 2001, 01:40 PM
StCirq

I second the recommendation for the Duquesne-Eiffel in Paris. Been staying there for more years and years. Ask for chambres communicantes, two double rooms sharing a common hallway and bath.

Mar 4th, 2001, 11:30 PM
marian

hello amanda

The following property company deals in very short term lets, ie 2-3 nights. I haven't used them myself but have recommended them to friends who have been very pleased. They have flats all over the West End of London. Obviously it's self-catering with daily maid. I have heard locations can vary from busy street to quiet mews, so if you want a quieter street, say so. To give you an idea, approx 120 per night should get you 2 dble bedrms, full kitchen, liv rm with sofabed, 1.5 baths.

McGloshans Property Services, Marylebone Lane, London
Tel: 0171 486 6711
Fax: 0171 935 0139
email: [email protected]

Mar 5th, 2001, 05:53 AM
Erin

In London, we stayed in a great triple at the Melia White House hotel. The room was L-shaped with two twin beds, and a twin sleeper-chair. For three adults, we had plenty of room to move around. The hotel is in the Regent's Park area and within walking distance of three tube stations (one station is across the street). The room rates will probably start at about $150/night.

Mar 6th, 2001, 07:57 PM
amanda

Thanks, everybody for the replies! Some of the hotels you mentioned were ones I had looked at already, but some were new to me and sound really promising (especially the Duquesne Eiffel, I think). You've given me a great starting place to do some intensive research!

Mar 7th, 2001, 09:27 AM
Amy

Don't do the hotels in London - UGH!. They are extremely small and overpriced. My family (2 small girls), my husband and I, and my parents (in their 60s) stayed at a place called Ashley Gardens (a private flat) right near the Catholic Cathedral in London and just a block away from the Victoria station (TUBE). It is so nice to have a home well-suited for a family! This flat came w/ kitchen, formal living room, family room, 3 bedrooms and 3 bathrooms for much less than a hotel stay. I secured the room via The London Connection (www.londonconnection.com) and they have flats in both LONDON and PARIS!!! This is the way to go, trust me. You may be able to work out a deal for both cities and around the days needed. Worth a try! Good luck.

Mar 7th, 2001, 05:36 PM
pc

If you want to stay in hotels, the Radisson chain in London is having some specials -- the family special at the Radisson Vanderbilt in Kensington was 109 pounds for the first room and 25% off for the second room. It includes breakfast and VAT. We have a triple confirmed -- 2 beds and a sofa sleeper at 139 pounds including breakfast and VAT. We called Radisson directly or check their website.

Mar 7th, 2001, 07:46 PM
mimi

We were in Paris in October and stayed in St. Germain des Pres at Citadines Hotel. Great location in left bank overlooking Seine with apartment-type rooms, but it is a hotel. Separate bedroom, living room, kitchenette, large bathroom gave room for adults and children. It was very clean as well. How nice of you to help plan the trip, Amanda! My family and I were well pleased with Citadines.