Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   Can you HELP me decide between Zurich, Munich, and Frankfurt?? Please? (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/can-you-help-me-decide-between-zurich-munich-and-frankfurt-please-428074/)

reddington May 3rd, 2004 03:26 PM

Can you HELP me decide between Zurich, Munich, and Frankfurt?? Please?

Hi all,

What an amazing community. I wish I had found this earlier. You guys are a knowledgeable and friendly bunch for helping everyone out like you do.

Onto the problem. I'm a 25 year old first-time Europe traveler. Me and my companion are flying into Amsterdam. Plan on spending a few days there then go to Paris.

We want to go to Prague. The problem is the leg from Paris to Prague. We are getting the train pass so it has to be by train. To me from looking at it, it looks like we have the following three options:

Paris -> Frankfurt -> Prague = 17 hours
Paris -> Munich -> Prague = 16 hours
Paris -> Zurich -> Munich -> Prague = 18 hours

To break up that long train ride, we were thinking of stopping in one of those intermediary cities.

Which would you recommend for two twenty-something travelers? Does Zurich warrant adding another country to our pass? Are there any other stops in Switzerland to hit instead?

Thank you all so much for your time.

flygirl May 3rd, 2004 04:06 PM

I really like Munich! can't speak to Zurich yet.

why not check out easyjet or another cheapy airline and get there in an hour?

Nlingenfel May 3rd, 2004 04:12 PM

MUNICH IS MY CHOICE OF THE THREE.
IT'S A GREAT PLACE AND MUCH NICER IN THE CNETER THAN FRANKFURT AND A LITTLE EASIER TO ENJOY THAN ZURICH, FOR YOU YOUNG PEOPLE.

flsd May 3rd, 2004 04:25 PM

I agree with the others - there's a lot more of interest to do and see in Munich than in the other cities, especially for a young person. Just fyi, the Hotel Helvetia, near the train station, is fairly inexpensive and - from our experience - has a young clientele and a friendly, helpful staff.

poochie May 3rd, 2004 04:37 PM

Another vote for Munich!!!

eurotraveller May 3rd, 2004 04:49 PM

I also vote for Munich and agree with the other poster on the Helvetia Hotel. I stayed there last year. There are so many wonderful beer gardens but my favorite is in the Englischer Garten, the Chinese Pagoda. Another great one is Augustiner Beer Garten which is within walking distance of Helvetia Hotel (but a long walk).

Airlawgirl May 3rd, 2004 05:35 PM

I, too, will have to vote for Munich-(although having worked in Frankfurt, I'm one of the few people, Germans included, who actually like staying in that city) Munich's got everything you'd want in a great city-it's sophisticated, has wonderful art museums, friendly people, great restaurants, a wild and crazy nightlife, biergartens (partic. nice in summer) lovely parks, an exciting city , full of vitality. Helvetia Hotel is a good choice.

rex May 3rd, 2004 05:37 PM

Fly smartwings.net from Paris to Prague for peanuts. Today is their thrid day in operation!

Best wishes,

Rex

padbrasher May 3rd, 2004 05:51 PM

I you don't fly on smartwings directly to Prague, I recommend Munich. It's a fun, charming and easy city to visit.

selinalei May 3rd, 2004 06:07 PM

Another vote for Munich - a charming city.

kybourbon May 3rd, 2004 06:35 PM

Are you sure you need a train pass? It may be cheaper to buy train tickets to Paris and then fly to Prague.

Russ May 3rd, 2004 09:12 PM

I agree with the posters who see this as a very long train trip and have encouraged you to fly.

But if you must do this by train, and if you're really only planning to spend one night in Munich, it probably doesn't matter that much where you stop - why not make Frankfurt your stop instead and take the night train from there to Prague? This would save you some "down time" on the second leg since you'll get into Prague at around 8 am. Frankfurt isn't a bad place for a short visit - drop bags at station, head to the Sachsenhausen district for some food/grog, visit the Romerhof if time, have a walk along the river to stretch the legs, and hop back on the train (leaves around 11 pm.)

twoflower May 3rd, 2004 09:16 PM

Yep, of the choices available to you my preference would also be for Munich. A buzz, yet relaxed, with lots to see and do. Nice countryside around it too, if you have the time.

reddington May 4th, 2004 06:36 AM

Wow thanks to all for the helpful replies!

I must admit I'm confused at this point in what I want to do. I, of course, want to see it ALL, but I've only got 2 weeks to do it.

I know it's a long train ride... but we were planning on buying the eurail pass to go from Amsterdam, to Paris, to Prague, to Berlin, and back to Amsterdam. One of those three cities seemed like the best way to break up what would otherwise have been a long train ride from Paris to Prague.

Now that a few of you suggest flying, I will have to research that (we haven't gotten our train passes yet).

How would you guys suggest doing the logistics of Amsterdam, Paris, Prague, Berlin, Amsterdam and maybe throw Munich in the mix since everyone is raving about it..????

Also, we kinda wanted to see the Alps, but it's not looking like we can work it in. Any ideas??

Thank you guys SO much!

flygirl May 4th, 2004 07:17 AM

how many days per city do you want to allot? list your priority cities in order... train rides are a lot of fun and I can be a lot less hassle than flying (sayeth flygirl).

not b/c of the FLIGHT but rather all the hurry up and wait crap. trains - you get there, find your seat, then relax & pop the cork. planes - you will spend more time navigating the airport and security than the actual flight. easier to bring your own bottles of wine and a picnic on a train - more room to spread out.

it really sounds like, work with me here, 14 nights? 5 cities? Amsterdam, Paris, Prague, Berlin, and somewhere in between one of them? you could visit A'dam 2 nights, Paris 3, Prague and Berlin 2 each and still have 3+ days to hike in the Alps - the last day left over being the day you head for home. if you have an early flight out not a bad idea to sleep in A'dam the night before.

you're young, it won't seem so rushed! you've got all your stuff in one pack right? no worries. eurail passes are great.

rex May 4th, 2004 08:30 AM

Good answer from flygirl - - except for the last four words.

Do NOT buy a rail pass without looking at the cost analysis on railsaver.com

reddington May 4th, 2004 12:09 PM

Thank you.

I guess you're right... it won't seem as rushed when it's happening. I want to have enough time to do a few things in each place.

If anybody's still reading this.... where would you go to see/hike the Alps? Can I get there via train from Paris and still be able to get back to Munich?

jmhoes May 4th, 2004 06:11 PM

Reddington,
I agree a friendly & helpful bunch. We are going to Munich and Prague in July but cannot find the DueschBahn web site to check on schedules. We are planning on taking the night train so we don't waste our touring time so we want to reserve a sleeper. Has anyone had any experience with this?

RufusTFirefly May 5th, 2004 03:11 AM

The website is www.bahn.de

DavidNWendy May 7th, 2004 03:45 PM

Not sure how much this helps but you can get to the Alps (and see Mad King Ludwigs Casltes in the bargain) on a Bayern Pass from Munich for up to five people for only 22Euro from Munich and go all the way to into Austris if you desire. We found this to be a fantastic bargain and well worth the price. The ticket allows you unlimited travel within the specified region for a 24 hour period for the price of one cheap ticket. It takes two hours to the castles and I do not know how much further to what you want.The casltes are near the alps and probably not more than another 30 minutes from there. BTW the castles are & and * Euros respecively and are good photo ops even if you do not go inside. Photo ops no cost!!!

Enjoy your trip.