Search

can you give me an advice on hotel in london

Search this Thread

Old Jan 5th, 2004, 09:34 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
can you give me an advice on hotel in london

Hi..
My husband's birthday is in January and I would like to take him to London for a week. Can you suggest a nice and clean also inexpensive hotel for us. (We have a very active two year old and he will be touching everything, so cleanliness is very important for me).
Thanks in advence.
Old Jan 5th, 2004, 09:39 AM

I'll be the first to ask what you consider "inexpensive". $ 75 a night, $100 a night, $150 a night?
Old Jan 5th, 2004, 09:52 AM
Original Poster

Patrick I was thinking $100-$120. I am not sure this is reasonable or not.
Old Jan 6th, 2004, 06:19 AM
Original Poster

Anyone???
Old Jan 6th, 2004, 06:26 AM

I rent a flat so I can't be of a lot of help. But recent posts have suggested several things that may be in that price range. For more information, enter "inexpensive London Hotels" in the search function, click UK and read some of the results.

Travel Inn County Hall -- good location and recommended a lot here.

Comfort Inn Belgravia (Victoria Station area).

Strand Palace (but mixed reviews)

Thistle Hotels, particularly Euston for special offer deals.
Old Jan 6th, 2004, 06:45 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
I'll put a bid in here for the Travel Inn County Hall. It's in a fabulous location on the Thames and within walking distance of the London Eye, the aquarium (both adjacent), Westminster Abbey, and Parliament. There's a small playground next to the London Eye and easy access to a couple of different tube lines and Waterloo stations. The area isn't overrun with great restaurants but there are a few good ones for families. Yo Sushi (the one with the conveyer belts), Fish! and Ned's Noodle Bar. I thought the hotel restaurant looked like nothing special but there were a lot of families dining there.

It's a chain and completely lacking in anything remotely charming (except for the exterior of the County Hall building it resides in) but is clean, inexpensive, and the rooms are spacious by London standards. Book a family room. I think character and charm are a little overrated with a toddler when you're on a budget. It usually means sloping floors, funky bathrooms and steep staircases.

I think rates run 75 to 80 GBP and with the current exchange rate, that probably puts it at the top of your range.

Good luck!
Old Jan 6th, 2004, 08:01 AM

I'm not sure what is meant by "clean." If it is a concern, probably best to take some disinfectant and wipe off the surfaces if you are really concerned. Just because something looks "clean" is no guarantee as to its bacterial count.
Old Jan 6th, 2004, 08:12 AM

Travel Inn County Hall, Belvedere Rd., 0870/238-3300, 313 rooms, £80 weekends, £83 weekdays. Located in colossal County Hall at the London Eye, across the Thames from Westminster Abbey and the Houses of Parliament. The hotel (which opened in 1998) is on the wrong side of the building for river views?although rooms facing the courtyard can watch the Eye in the sky. But when you?ve got Big Ben bellowing on one side and trains boarding for Paris on the other, niceties like views pale in importance. For the first-time visitor to London, there may be no finer setting
Old Jan 6th, 2004, 08:20 AM

Another vote for the Travel Inn - but contact them as soon as your dates are firm because they do book up early. It is no longer the cheapest place - when it first opened it was probably the very best bargain family hotel in london but it is so popular they have raised the rates above what other Travel Inn charge.

But for a family w/ small kids and on a short visit you could not have a better location. It is new(ish), clean, modern and right across the river from Big Ben.