Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Can you get to see plenty with just a weekend in Rome?

Notices

Old Aug 30th, 2002, 05:30 AM
gh

Have been thinking of taking a weekend trip from UK to Rome to soak up the sights and atmosphere, just a couple of days away as I have used up all annual leave on major holidays! Can I really get to see most of the sights in that time. Thanks for your input.

Old Aug 30th, 2002, 05:33 AM
Rex

I would think that a minimum, you would benefit from waiting until you can at least take a THREE-day weekend.

Best wishes,

Rex

Old Aug 30th, 2002, 07:16 AM
Steve James

My first visit to Rome was a day-trip.

You can certainly see a lot in a weekend.
Go for it!

Steve

Old Aug 30th, 2002, 08:06 AM
carol

I agree with Steve--yes you can really get to see most of the sights if you travel on Friday night and use all day Saturday and Sunday.

Old Aug 30th, 2002, 08:14 AM
Grasshopper

You will see a lot more of Rome that if you never went at all.

Old Aug 30th, 2002, 09:12 AM
fiona

gh
I went to Rome for the day in February- leaving and returning to Aberdeen on the same day. In one day we saw the forum, colloseum,Pantheon, Trevi fountain, Spanish Steps and the Piazza Navona. You could certainly see a lot in the weekend but just be aware that the Vatican Museum and Sistine Chapel are closed on Sundays, and entrance to the forum is also not permitted on a Sunday.It is great to get a "taste" of the place and now I'd love to return!

Old Aug 30th, 2002, 07:29 PM
up

up

Old Aug 30th, 2002, 08:01 PM
Red

How decandent and wonderful! I'd do a weekend in Rome. Like Fiona said you can do those things in one day if you are a good walker - we did and it was a blast. You'll be able to get back again to really soak it up. But what fun to just go for a weekend. I'm very envious. Sundays are very laid back. We went to mass at St. Peter's, which took up the morning. I'm sure there are other things to do on Sunday - hey it's Rome! Who cares! Just go!

Old Aug 30th, 2002, 08:24 PM
Julie

Rome is a wonderful city. You can easily do it in a weekend, but I would strongly recommend that you see the Vatican, whether you are Catholic or not. I am not Catholic and went to see the Vatican and the museums and the Sistine Chapel and it was one of the greatest experiences I have ever had. I would more than highly recommend it. I loved the coloseum. I hope you have a great time!!! I wish I could go back!

Old Sep 2nd, 2002, 03:07 PM
gh

Many thanks for all your comments - From what you say, I think a weekend sounds just the ticket! : )

Old Sep 2nd, 2002, 03:21 PM
ok

It's worth it just for the food, wine and gelato.

Old Sep 2nd, 2002, 04:18 PM
Myer

We were in Rome in early May for 3 1/2 days and had a great time.

Had it been 2 days be also would have had a great time.

Depending upon the time allocation you must make certains rules by which to go.

We walked most of the city each day and passed and stopped at many of the same sites approached from different directions.

We kept inside museums to a minimum. Other than the vatican and St Peter's we really spent all the time outside walking the streets and seeing the sites.

Have a great time.

Old Sep 29th, 2002, 09:08 AM

to the top

Old Oct 26th, 2003, 12:22 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
topping to help.
Old Oct 26th, 2003, 12:42 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
While I appreciate the idea that it is better to have at least three full days and so you could wait, I look at the two choices:

Two days of Rome.
No days of Rome.

I'd chose the first one.

My parents never got to Europe. They never went to New York. They never went to see my father's sister who lived in California most of her life. They always said, we'll do it when we have more time and can do it right. God, I wish I had a dollar for every time I heard them say that!! Well, a lot of good that did them, now that my father is dead and my mother is blind and in a retirement center.
Old Oct 26th, 2003, 01:56 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
We've done a weekend there. I took my husband for the weekend for his 40th birthday. We left Aberdeen (Scotland) after lunch on Friday and had supper in the Piazza Navona.

We did shoppingy things on Saturday morning, saw the Vatican in the afternoon, and walked about the mediaeval bits and the Pantheon in the evening. On Sunday we did old Roman things- the Forum, the Colloseum, the Appian Way.

It was wonderful.
Old Oct 26th, 2003, 02:03 PM
ira

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Ummm, guys,

This post is from 2002.