Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   Can you get to Lugano from Malpensa directly? (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/can-you-get-to-lugano-from-malpensa-directly-423814/)

isabel Apr 19th, 2004 05:54 AM

Can you get to Lugano from Malpensa directly?

I know Lugano is only about an hour from Milan but I can't find any information about if you can get there directly from Malpensa airport. It seems out of the way to go all the way into Milan and then back past MXP. Does anyone know what train stations would have connections? (Maybe Saronno?)

I'll be at the end of a 17 day trip in July and have the last three nights at the Hotel Cervo at MXP. I'm planning one day trip to Lake Como but that leaves me with one full day and I though Lugano looked interesting. I realize you can't see much in one day but due to my flights being changed I had to change my plans from three nights in Como to spending them at MXP and doing day trips. So if getting there from MXP is not too bad a trip I thought I'd check it out. Any suggestions?

isabel Apr 19th, 2004 01:23 PM

Anyone?

rex Apr 19th, 2004 01:42 PM

It's certainly straightforward to drive directly between the two. Maybe there is a bus (or connecting bus service by way of Como)?

Best wishes,

Rex

GAC Apr 19th, 2004 03:04 PM

There is direct airporter bus service for 20 Euros one way. Look up info in the Malpensa Airport web site.

isabel Apr 19th, 2004 04:13 PM

Thanks GAC, I knew you would know. I did go to the airport site before I even posted the question, and again just now but can't seem to find what you are talking about. I see the shuttle, lots of parking places and a few hotels, but nothing about bus service. Can you tell me what I'm doing wrong. Thanks

GAC Apr 20th, 2004 07:04 AM

Isabel, look in the website
www.sea-aeroportimilano.it
"Collegamenti e Parcheggi"
"Pullman"

Click on the second page of the "Pullman" section and you will see information about the "All Pullman Bus Express" airporter bus service from Lugano and Chiasso to Malpensa. On page three of this section there is the reverse service. If you click on the name of the bus company, you'll be able to view the actual timetables (8 runs daily, 70 mins. travel time, 20 Euros one way/35 Euros round trip, no reservation needed). Buses leave from Malpensa Terminal 1, Door 4, bus stall 19

Currently, buses leave from Malpensa Terminal 1 at:
9:00, 10:30, 12:30, 14:30, 16:30, 18:30, 20:30 and 22:45. All buses stop at Terminal 2 (charter flights and some discount carriers like Volare) and at the Chiasso train station (national boundary with Switzerland). They terminate at the Lugano train station.

isabel Apr 20th, 2004 01:05 PM

GAc - thank you so much! I'm sure I'll be back with more questions in the coming weeks as I plan this trip. You are a wealth of knowledge in this area. Thanks.