Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Can you do Keukenhof & Zaanse Schans in one day?

Feb 20th, 2005, 08:52 PM
Original Poster

I will be travelling to Amesterdam in May'05 and I was wondering if the Keukenhof gardens and Zaanse Schans (windmills) can be covered in one day. (They seem to be on opposite sides of Amesterdam on the map). Any suggestions?
Feb 21st, 2005, 03:44 AM

It all depends on what you mean by "do".

It's certainly possible to see both in a day, as they are only a short train ride from Amsterdam, although in different directions. But why rush? Take the time to smell the flowers, so to speak. The city of Haarlem, from which you take a bus to the Keukenhof, is certainly worth some time, and it, combined with the Keukenhof would make a nice day trip from Amsterdam. Similarly, why not make a day of it at Zaanse Schans, and enjoy the experience?

Long ago I gave up my habit of trying to cram as many sights as possible into a trip, and began to slow down and enjoy whatever I might experience in my travels.
Feb 21st, 2005, 03:50 AM

Slow down -- that's the right prescription. We have always found the Keukenhof to be enchanting, a glimpse of Heaven on earth. If it's windmills you seek, there is one at the Keukenhof, incidentally. You can climb up, into, and through it. Make sure you go to the back of the gardens and go through the greenhouses. Amazing floral blooms everywhere. And make sure you take your camera! Plan to take tea or lunch there by the entryway. Rain or shine, the Keukenhof is so special that it would be a shame to rush, rush, rush. As the observer above says, take time to smell the flowers!
Feb 21st, 2005, 03:50 AM

I'll also be in Amsterdam in May and we plan on doing Kuekenhoff along with Harlem, and doing Zaan Schanse after we go to the Friday cheese market in Alkmaar.

http://europeforvisitors.com/europe/...ese_market.htm
Feb 21st, 2005, 07:21 AM
Original Poster

Thank you all for your suggestions. I will try to plan my trip accordingly.
Feb 21st, 2005, 02:30 PM

Amynik,

I agree with all of the above, but there is a possibility to do both. If you are traveling by car you can do Keukenhof in the morning and Zaanse Schans in the afternoon. Each is worth 3 to 4 hours and (if you know the way) the drive will be less than half an hour. Check the opening and closing hours for each, and figure out how you will get some lunch. Keukenhof has a cafeteria. I don't remember one at the Zaanse Schans but there must be.