Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Can you buy a multi-stop train ticket in the UK?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Sep 18th, 2001, 02:41 PM
xxx

Hello, everyone. <BR>I am going to the UK next month and wondered if there is some sort of multi-stop ticket. What I'd like to do is go from Manchester to York and stop at Leeds on the way back and continue from Leeds back to Manchester. Please advise. <BR> <BR>Thanks!

Old Sep 22nd, 2001, 07:46 PM
Kay

When we were there last year we stopped in the ticket office at the airport and told the agent how we'd like to go from London to one place, then back from another and he tried to come up with a round trip ticket. So it sounds like no problem, you just need a return ticket on trains that route you that way and stop in those towns. <BR> <BR>Unfortunately, our combination of towns just didn't fit nicely into a roundtrip so we ended up with some one-way segments that still weren't too expensive. The agent worked very hard to find us the cheapest way to do what we wanted--seemed to take it as a challenge or puzzle.

Old Sep 22nd, 2001, 08:41 PM
J

We did get an open return ticket (5/2001 <BR>London to Edinburgh, week later Edinburgh to York, 2days later York to lOndon,week later London to gatwick. It was very reasonable. Joyce

Old Sep 23rd, 2001, 06:42 AM
Ann

If I can piggyback onto this question, I'd like to know much the same. But given that it seems it's possible to cobble together a ticket with stop(s) enroute, should we try to book/buy such tickets before we leave the States? Or just wait and buy there?

Old Sep 23rd, 2001, 07:17 AM
Alec

Unless you want to stay the night in Leeds, Standard Day Return ticket (GBP17.90) from Manchester to York will allow you to stop off at Leeds, either on outward or return leg. If you are staying overnight in York, get a Saver Return at GBP18.40. Only certain types of cheap tickets like APEX and Super Advance fares are point-to-point, with no break of journey allowed. You can check your ticket validity by clicking on the fare type on www.thetrainline.com, after inputing your journey details. <BR>BritRail Pass gives overseas visitors complete freedom to travel on national rail network (has to be bought before arrival), as does the more expensive All-line Rover ticket for eveyone (GBP315 for 7days/480 for 14 days standard class). Some train operators sell rover tickets within their network. Check details on their websites, accessed through www.nationalrail.co.uk. and click on 'Fares & Tickets'.

Old Sep 24th, 2001, 05:27 AM
Kay

If you plan to use the rails a lot over several days, then the flexibility of a railpass purchased in advance from the U.S. makes sense even if about the same price as point-to-point or return tickets as you can change your plans and don't have to hassle with figuring out the exact ticket you want, standing in line, etc. <BR> <BR>If you are only going to be on the rails for 1 or 2 days with specific routes, then the return tickets purchased in GB are probably cheaper and we found the clerks most helpful. The websites Alec provided were a great help to me in deciding whether to go with pass or tickets.