Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Can we take the Air France bus if we have lots of luggage?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Dec 14th, 2006, 11:49 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We land at CDG at 8:00 a.m. on Christmas Day. We'll be headed to the 7e from there.

My husband seems reluctant to take a taxi, but if we're both dragging around luggage for an 8-night stay (no, I don't pack light), is it going to be dreadful to use any other form of transport?

Would the bus or RER be feasible options?
Old Dec 14th, 2006, 12:05 PM

Probably not what you want to hear, but IMHO the most feasible option would be to learn to pack light. DH and I just returned from a month in Australia. We each carried 22" soft-sided suitcase (which we checked) and a tote (which we carried aboard). We did laundry along the way. There are several laundromats in the 7eme. We consider it a cultural experience to use the laundromat in a foreign country.
Old Dec 14th, 2006, 12:09 PM

The bus is better than the RER. At many terminals, the bus stop stops right outside. They have plenty of room underneath for all the luggage you have. But once in the city, you will need to transport the luggage from the bus to cab.

RER will be basically impossible with lots of luggage. All the stairs you'll encounter...
Old Dec 14th, 2006, 12:10 PM

I was in Paris 2nd week of November. I used RER to go from CDG to St Michel, then switch to Metro to go to 16th. ON return, I took Metro to Montparnasse station, and took Air France bus to CDG. I had one large bag. As you entre RER trains, there is oftne an area by the doors with no seat so you can place your luggage there and stand/sit with it. RER was fine, but be aware that there can be long walks in the Metro system itself as you switch lines or from RER to M lines. The Air France bus is a full sized bus, not a shuttle bus (i.e. more of a Greyhound bus that a Holiday Inn bus!). Lots of room to place luggage in the luggage compartment of the bus (underneath,load from outside) RER is ~10E, AF ~14E.
Old Dec 14th, 2006, 12:12 PM
Original Poster

Okay, good to know! LOL I'm picturing the Chicago city buses . . . I can just imagine the looks I'd get trying to hoist my luggage up into one of those!
Old Dec 14th, 2006, 12:19 PM

As mentioned, if you take the RER, say to St Michel, you will need to switch RER lines to go to ...say, Eiffel Tower, Then, Metro or walk, depending on where your hotel is. The Air France bus has a couple of pre-determined drop off/pick up spots, so from that sopt, would need to Metro/RER or cab it. So no matter what public transportation option you choose, you may need to switch. Not a big deal, but if you have 2 large bags each and are jet lagged, something to think about. Personally I was happy with both of my choices, travel times were reasonable. My bag going home was fairly heavy, but with wheels it was not an unreasonable trip from my hotel to Metro station, to Montparnasse station, to AF stop, to check in at CDG terminal 1.
Old Dec 14th, 2006, 12:26 PM

At all the Air France Coach stops I've been to, there are one or two baggage handlers to load/unload the coaches, if you can't even lift it off your luggage cart onto the luggage hold in the belly of the bus.
Old Dec 14th, 2006, 12:40 PM

You don't board the AF bus with your luggage. It goes in the hold underneath, as described above. You will still need to take a taxi unless your hotel is within a couple blocks of one of the AF stops. By then, you will have paid about 2/3 of what a taxi from CDG would have cost.

If you get your bags, exit Customs and go to the Taxi Stands as the signs indicated (at CDG) then those are the legitimate "Taxi Parisian" that will take you into the city. There is a per-bag charge of maybe 1€ or so - if traffic is not bad, the fare should average roughly 45-55€.

I would advise a taxi coming into Paris, then you can base your decision on how to depart Paris from that experience.

You do know that heavy packers (espec. with too many bags) are prone to pickpockets, yes?
Old Dec 14th, 2006, 01:16 PM

It's Christmas Day - give yourself a gift and take a taxi. Traffic will be a non-issue at 8 a.m. on Christmas, it will be a fast cab ride.

Unless the bus stops right smack in front of your hotel (probably not likely) you will be schlepping luggage around. Is that how you want to start your vacation ? Likewise, schlepping luggage up and down/in and out of Metro/RER is not fun. It's doable with a small (22&quot rollaway bag, but large luggage makes for a miserable time.

After a long flight a taxi is really not the luxury some people think it is. Convenience is worth something too I think.

Be aware that there is a charge (I believe 1 Euro) for each piece of luggage, at least that is what we were charged the last time we were in Paris.
Old Dec 14th, 2006, 02:20 PM
Original Poster

Hmmmm, more to chew on. Pointing out that the public transport options would still put us in the 2/3 price range of a taxi is good to know. That gives me leverage.
Old Dec 14th, 2006, 02:39 PM

The AF coach costs 12-13€ per person, one-way. The next leg via taxi would depend on where your hotel was - could be only a few euro or possibly 12-15€.

If you didn't want to take the train from CDG, you wouldn't want to use the metro from the AF dropoff.
Old Dec 14th, 2006, 02:46 PM

Or, you could do the same thing you'd do if your destination was another city (such as Lyon or Brussels):

Get off the plane
Take the train to town
Hire a cab to your hotel

RER B to St-Michel Notre-Dame (or Luxembourg, depending)
Taxi to VIIe
Old Dec 14th, 2006, 02:48 PM

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
Is there a particular concern your husband expressed why he is reluctant to take a taxi? Something other than the cost factor?

To me, if you can afford a trip to Paris, and you are unable to pack less, a taxi is more a necessity than luxury.
Old Dec 14th, 2006, 02:57 PM

Ditto... we've stayed in the 7th the last few years. Taxis have never been more than 50 Euros to or from CDG. As someone said... if you can afford 8 days in Paris spring for the taxi. Take it from me... it's worth it.- Especially with luggage.
Old Dec 14th, 2006, 03:06 PM

How about if 7 days is all your budget allows? Then is the taxi still the best way?
Old Dec 14th, 2006, 07:26 PM

I don't pack light either. I like to have everything I really need/want along (within reason, but still not "light&quot.

After an overnight flight, we just head for the taxi stand. Worth every Euro. Going home, it's distressing enough to have to leave without dealing with our bags on "economy" transit to CDG.

I've been so lucky with air fares (due to diligent shopping) the past few years, taking a taxi is not really a splurge.

But, if I did have to budget, I'd stay one less night, or eat very cheaply for a day or two to "budget" for a taxi.
Old Dec 14th, 2006, 07:37 PM

For eight nights you shouldn't need more than a 22" rollaboard, and I say that as one who packs a laptop, several books, 2-3 pairs of shoes (including shoe-boots in winter), and a full supply of clothes for a week's trip every time I go, which is often.

Take a taxi. The Air France bus costs 11.5 euro per person, and a taxi will cost about 30-50 euro depending on the time of day and day that you arrive. The métro is a screaming pain in the tush. Yes, the AF shuttle will get you into town, but then you'll have to get a taxi to your actual hotel - who needs that after an all-night flight?
Old Dec 14th, 2006, 10:35 PM

I also vote for taxi or car service. We only take a 22" per person (checked in) plus a carryon for a change of clothes and necessities just in case. We take a taxi, shuttle or this time used a car service.

After a long flight from SFO (we useually fly business), the added expense is minimal for a six-week Paris stay. (We have a washing machine/dryer in our rental and use it)

Old Dec 15th, 2006, 02:10 AM

We always take the RER into Paris, and find it very convenient BUT we only have a 22" and a small carry on bag. If you have a lot of luggage I wouldn't recommend it.

Your travel style is your business, but have you considered rethinking what you're taking? You'll probably find that you don't wear half of what you currently plan on packing. Not only would it make your transportation easier (less to deal with even with a taxi/shuttle) you'll find that you are so busy enjoying Paris that you don't have time fuss with all those clothes! You can cut back and still look nice.
Old Dec 15th, 2006, 02:14 AM
ira

Hi P,

I also suggest a taxi.

The AF bus + a cab to hotel will be about 35E.

A shuttle will be about 35E.

A cab will be about 50E.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -