COVID-19 Travel Advisory: Stay up to date with the latest on the coronavirus pandemic.   Learn More >

can we rent a bike in italy?

Old Dec 30th, 2002, 12:53 PM
E Roz

can we rent a bike in italy?

Thanks for any input. New Hubby and I do not want to be on a tour, want to rent a bicycle for a day or 2 (1 bike each, not a double!) and cruise around Tuscany on our own. Are there bike rental shops in various cities? Please advise.

Old Dec 30th, 2002, 01:13 PM
Marilyn

I know in Lucca renting them was a popular thing to do. They have a full city wall with a bikeway on the top. I'm sure they are available in other cities as well. Just internet the tourism office and ask. M.

Old Dec 30th, 2002, 01:26 PM
Rex

Glad to see you posted your question here.

I looked a little further, and a Yahoo search on "Tuscany bicycle rental" took me to http://www.florencebybike.it/totalerental.htm

maybe others as well.

Congratulations on your new life in marriage...

and as always...

Best wishes,

Rex

Old Dec 30th, 2002, 01:36 PM
Bicycle

You can rent a bicycle in San Gimignano. I don´t remember the address, but I have it somewhere.

Old Dec 30th, 2002, 04:42 PM
up

topping, for eileen

Old Dec 31st, 2002, 07:42 AM
Mikee

There is also a rental shop in Siena--
www.walkingagency.com. We rented bikes from them a few years ago and were happy with the service. Giorgio is very enthusiastic and will even help with routes. My only caution is that they are called the "hill towns of Tuscany" for a reason. While the riding is quite beautiful, there are some routes that are quite strenuous, so a little research (and a good map with altitudes) will pay off in dividends!

Old Jan 1st, 2003, 04:38 PM
E Roz

Thanks for the suggestions. Keep em coming! I just started stationary cycling at the gym to get ready for the hills. Wish us luck! Happy New Year all.

Old Jan 3rd, 2003, 09:17 AM
Jacqueline Bond

I understand it is beautiful to do this (I'm researching to do the same for a trip at the end of March) but I'm told Tuscany is quite hilly...FYI