Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Can we get around the Peloponnese with public transportation easily?

Old Jul 9th, 2006, 04:41 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm planning a trip to Greece in late Sept.-early October. We will see Athens, an island (Naxos, I think) and have about 5 days to visit some places in the Peloponnese. We always use public transportation in Europe. My husband has no interest in driving there.

I would like to visit Corinth, Epidaurus, Mycenae, Mystras, and Monemvassia. I know if we get to Monemvassia we will then be six hours by bus back to Athens (our flight).

Except for Monemvassia, is there a central place from which we could day-trip to the other places listed above? Possibly Nafplio? If there, is it possible to visit more than one of the other places in one day? I guess I'm asking how often busses go to these smaller places. (So far, I haven't found a website with bus schedules for the smaller towns.)

Any help would be much appreciated. Thanks.

Old Jul 9th, 2006, 05:38 AM

No problem, you can use the bus to get around the Peloponnese - quite easily (I've done it)

Probably, you best base would be Nafplio for Epidavros, Mycenae and Mystras. You can then choose to reach Monemvassia by switching at Argos I believe. To give you an idea Athens Monemvassia is 5 hours, so I would guestimate Argos-Monemvasia to be about 3.5-4hrs. I haven't been to Naxos, so I can't comment on the bus there - it is off season so bus service may be reduced (I would do the island first and Athens last). As it is off season, once you are there if you feel the need to rent a car for a day you could do so on the spot and likely get a great deal.

Mycenae doesn't take all day...I believe the other two will however, so I wouldn't plan to do more than one in a day. Mystras is fantastic!! These are pretty popular stops and there should be a few daily buses - enough to do a daytrip anyway. You'll likely have to change buses in Argos or Corinth for Mystras....I don't have my guide book with me sorry.

If interested I posted a section on bus use in my trip report. The bus is actually really good - especially for the area you are going to. http://www.fodors.com/forums/threads...2&tid=34829349
I haven't finished - I discussed Monemvasia, Mystras and Athens though. Napflio was at the end of my trip so I haven't talked about it yet. I loved Napflio - beautiful and a total joy. Excellent base for the area.

If you have any other questions about bus travel or the Peloponnese - just ask.

Cheers,

Murphy

Old Jul 9th, 2006, 06:30 AM

I Highly recommend both Naxos and Nafplio... have been to the former 6 times, the latter 4 times, and always discover new things. Naxos is very do-able without driving , when you stayat Ag. Giorgios beach or in Naxos town... (even in Sept there are busses to all other beaches and the swimming is still fine); there's a daily VAS bus tour that goes to the highlights of the Island also.
I agree on Naxos first (fly there immediately on arrival in Athens airport); after your stay, you can take the daily Blue star ferry (5 hours to Piraeus arrive 3pm, very enjoyable, good seating), then taxi to Bus Station, get tix at "Argolid" window for 4:30 aircondition KTEL bus to Nafplio (2.5-3 hrs)... once out of Athens, beautiful ride across isthmus and the corinth canal, orange groves etc. Check in hotel (I recommend Hotel Leto) and be dining in beautiful marble-paved square before sunset.
Driving actually is very EASY in Peloponnese, but you can get 1-day bus tour that goes to Mycenae & Epidaurus in one day... immediately on arrival check tour agencies (near bus station) because English-speaking tour isn't every day.
I have not been to Monemvassia ... I would tend to say, devote your precious time to the wonders around Nafplio -- you can get a local 10-minute bus ride to Tiryns. And what about Palamidi (tip: take cab UP, and walk DOWN the 888 steps!).. there is so much to enjoy there... and did I mention some of the most spectacular sunsets in Greece, on the paralia facing the Bay of Argos. Also, if you forego Monem., you'd have time to stop & visit Ancient Corinth on the way back to Athens.
I'd say, save Monemvassia for when you can share a car and do the rest of the Pelop. peninsula. Don't squander your time on slow local busses.
As you will notice I recommend -- as do most frequent Greece traveler--that you do Athens LAST, not first. You'll be more rested, more ready to tackle a big city, and most importantly, more able to appreciate Acropolis. Arch. Museum etc, after you've been immersed in culture/history for awhile. Have a wonderful trip!
Old Jul 9th, 2006, 07:43 AM

Oh yes, as travelerjan says - don't miss out on the Palamidi Fortress in Napflio - its incredibly well preserved. A cab? Lol - or you could walk and earn your baclava for the day! I don't know....Monemvasia is super fantastic - it you can make it there and spend one night, I would. However, I agree, it is easy to spend 5 whole days in Napflio. Just depends on your interests. Personally, I would do the following type of itinerary:

1. Afternoon bus from Athens and tour of Nafplio itself.
2. Mycenae/Epidavros tour traveljan mentioned.
3. Palamidi Fortress, Fortress of Larissa in Argos, Bourtzi island Fortress in Nafplio. Visit to one of the beaches near by.
4. An extra day to check out Corinth or whatever else strikes your fancy.
5. Monemvasia - catch the early bus and spend the afternoon exploring this amazing Byzantine city.
6. Head back to Athens. There is an early morning express bus that should get you back by around 11:00am. Which gives you all day. From the terminal A bus station in Athens you can catch a direct bus to Syndagma square.

Just a thought,

Murphy
Old Jul 9th, 2006, 09:20 AM
Original Poster

Thanks to both of you for replying.

Murphy -- I'm reading your other threads also. I agree with you that it will be hard to give up Monemvassia. Also, Murphy, where could we work in Mystras. You said that was fantastic! Are there good bus connections between Nafplio and Sparta?
Old Jul 9th, 2006, 09:53 AM

Oh sorry kristine, I forgot to stick Mystras in there:

1. Bus from Athens and tour of Nafplio itself. Can easily check out Argos or Tiryns today.
2. Mycenae/Epidavros tour traveljan mentioned.
3. Palamidi Fortress, Fortress of Larissa in Argos, Bourtzi island Fortress in Nafplio. Visit to one of the beaches near by.
4. Mystras
5. Monemvasia - catch the early bus and spend the afternoon exploring this amazing Byzantine city.
6. Head back to Athens.

I don't have my guide with me, but I know it tells you how to do it. I recommend Lonely Planet if you are going by public bus - they are good for logistical info.

There isn't a direct bus - here is the bus schedule - Athens to Sparti and its stops along the way. You can get to Tripoli and catch the bus from there. www.ktel.org

Location Timetables
Athens 06:00 08:15 10:00 11:00 13:15 14:15 15:15 16:15 17:15 18:15 20:15
Korinthos 07:09 09:24 11:09 12:09 14:24 15:24 16:24 17:24 18:24 19:24 21:24
Tripoli 08:15 10:30 12:15 13:15 15:30 16:30 17:30 18:30 19:30 20:30 22:30
Sparti 09:30 11:45 13:30 14:30 16:45 17:45 18:45 19:45 20:45 21:45 23:45

Here is the schedule from Nafplio to Tripoli

Nafplio 08:30 11:15 14:00 16:30 18:30
Tripoli 10:00 12:45 15:30 18:00 20:00

Here is the return schedule Sparta to Tripoli:

Sparti 05:45 06:30 07:30 08:30 10:00 10:45 13:15 15:00 17:00 20:00
Tripoli 07:00 07:45 08:45 09:45 11:15 12:00 14:30 16:15 18:15 21:15

From Sparti it is a 5euro taxi to Mystras town or you can catch the bus (take a taxi its cheap and easy). There is a taxi stand at the Sparta bus terminal. Not much to see in Sparta itself so don't be too concerned with spending alot of time there - Mystras is the place to be. Bring lots of film!

Hope that helps!

Cheers,

Murphy

Old Jul 9th, 2006, 11:03 AM
Original Poster

Murphy -- Thanks so much for taking all the time to put these times in for me. When I look at them, and the ktel website, it looks like we would be riding the bus about six and one-half hours to be at Mystras for maybe about 3 hours max. I think you mentioned that it needed nearly an all-day visit. Perhaps we should be trying to stay in Sparta one or two nights and then go on to Nafplio. (Or decide to grin and bear it and rent a car.)
Old Jul 9th, 2006, 08:49 PM

Hi:
I'd encourage you to think seriously about renting a car. We've done both car and bus travel in Greece, and found the bus rather frustrating because just when you get interested in something, you have to run for the bus. Or conversely, you find that you're stuck in a place you want to get out of and there isn't another bus for an hour. The flexibility of a car is a great boon. And driving in Greece is easy, once you're out of Athens.

I've never rented a car in Nauplia, but assume that is possible, and Nauplia is a good base of operations.If you could do that, you could take the bus, or boat from Athens to Nauplia, and then drive around until time to go back to Athens.

Vera
Old Jul 9th, 2006, 08:59 PM

Mmm, I don't know if I would give up on this...

on the bus you would be in Sparta before noon and take a late bus back. To expediate the process I would check out the schedule from Argos to Tripoli to see if there is an earlier bus that can get you to the earliest connection in Tripoli (or the earliest connection in Korinthos). I would play with the site schedules a bit there may be a better way (there must be a better way). Don't dismiss mixing in a short taxi either to get you to a town with a better connection (aka earlier connection).

or you could do a tour.

I took lots of daytrips on my trip that required an hour or hour and a half of travel in am. Two hours and fifteen min isn't ideal, but I would still do it providing there is a way to get there early so you still have lots of time before catching an evening bus back/late afternoon.

I would not stay 2 nights in Sparta. Though you can conceivably spend one night there then catch a bus from Sparta down to Monemvasia. Its not an overly interesting town.

or you could head to Sparta, see Mystras in am then catch bus down to Monemvasia. See monemvasia the next morning. The only catch with this is what you are going to do with you luggage while you are visiting Mystras. You could brainstorm that for a bit.

Just some ideas,

Good Luck!

Murphy

Old Jul 10th, 2006, 09:12 AM
Original Poster

Murphy -- I have a question about where the bus stops in Monemvasia. I understand there are no cars allowed. Does the bus stop in Gefyra? If so, if you are staying on the "rock", do you need to take a taxi across the causeway, or how do you get there? You mentioned walking, but said it wasn't so wise, especially at night, if I'm remembering correctly.

By the way, the bus trip from Nafplio to Sparta (via Tripoli) was 3 1/4 hours each way. I will try looking for the other options.
Old Jul 10th, 2006, 09:26 AM

Hi Kristinelaine,

Yes, the bus drops you off in tiny modern Gefyra. It is a short walk to the causeway where you can walk (20min) or catch a mini-bus that runs every 15min or so (the stop is right at the enterance to the causeway). You could take a taxi across the causeway right up to the city if you like. Your then on foot for Monemvasia itself.

Murphy
Old Jul 12th, 2006, 03:13 AM
Original Poster

Murphy -- One more question! I see in Frommers guide (sorry, Fodors)there is a budget hotel in Mystras. Would it be better, if we're going to spend a night in that area to stay there rather than in Sparta?
Old Jul 12th, 2006, 05:36 AM

Hmmm, modern Mystras is a pretty little town - 6kms from Sparta. Good taverna in the square. It is for those who want quiet, though close enough to Sparta to go into town and wander. The area is beautiful and good for walking. When you arrive - find out what time the first bus to Monemvasia is though and correspondingly what the first bus from Mystras-Sparta is - that way you know if you need to arrange an am taxi or not. There is a taxi stand in Mystras town square (a small one)

Cheers,

Murphy
Old Jul 20th, 2006, 04:28 PM

Chiming in again.... if your husband assents to renting a car, the easiest approach is to bus to Napflio, do the town, rent the car there, do the other sights & bring car back then take the bus back to Athens... thus you don't have to drive in the only part that's a hassle == Athen & roads to/from.
We rented a car in Nafplio for a day, for just 30E in May 2005. Not one of the Biggie Names, good local place...Boumas Rent-a-Car, office JUST beyond the quay, 2 blocks from bus station, ask anyone. If you make arrangments the event before They deliver it to your hotel in AM for early start.
Old Jul 21st, 2006, 03:55 AM
Original Poster

Thanks for this very specific information. I think he might agree to one or two days driving in that location and it looks like it would be a real advantage to have a car there. I assume that you had to rent a stick shift. Did they happen to have any automatics? Neither of us has driven a stick shift for about 40 years!!!
Old Jul 21st, 2006, 05:41 AM

You can rent an automatic but there aren't as many of them - so make a reservation.

Cheers,

Murphy
Old Aug 2nd, 2006, 08:01 AM
Original Poster

Do we need an international driver's license to rent a car in Greece?
Old Aug 2nd, 2006, 08:53 AM

Yes, I was asked for mine each time I rented a car.

Cheers,

Murphy