Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Can we do Balos and elafonissi in one day?

Search

Search this Thread

Old May 17th, 2017, 08:55 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi!

My friend and I want to see the beaches at Balos and elafonissi in one day (4 June, 2017). Are there any boat tours that will take us to both the places as we don't drive r is there public transport we can use?

I tried to look it up but could not find a consolidated way in which we can achieve this

We only have a day to see these two places. Is this even doable? Would really appreciate if we got the routes, what bus/ boat to take, timings and approx prices.

PS: We're budget travelers!

Thanks in advance
Suman
Old May 17th, 2017, 09:19 AM

I am afraid this is not doable....
Balos is not accessible by car or any public transportation , you can only reach it by boat, which means you will have to book a boat tour.
You can take a KTEL bus from Chania to Kisamos port, which arrives on time in order to take the boat for Gramvoussa/Balos

Elafonisi can be reached by car or public KTEL bus
There is a daily bus leaving Chania at 09:00 every day, departing from Elafonisi ar 16:00 hrs
Old May 17th, 2017, 09:38 AM
Original Poster

@clausar - Really appreciate the quick response! Isn't there a boat tour that would take us to both the beaches?
Old May 17th, 2017, 09:50 AM

There is not a boat tour that includes both, that i am aware of.
If i had to compare the two, i would say that Balos is much more beautiful and not spoiled yet, as Elafonissi....

In a way both beaches are similar for having pink sand, but i find Balos to be much more spectacular.
Old May 17th, 2017, 09:56 AM
Original Poster

Thank you so much for your comments! Really appreciate it
Old May 17th, 2017, 10:29 PM

No, you can't do both in 1 day. There is no boat trip to both. They are not near each other. Even with a car it would be a long & busy day & rather pointless, so much rushing about to see 2 similar beaches.

As stated above, the simplest will be by bus from Chania at 9am to Elafonissi, returning at 4pm, but make sure you take sun umbrellas as that is a long day in strong sun. or by bus to Kissamos port (past Kissamos town) for the boat trip to Balos, again beware there is no shade on the beach.

If you go to Elafonissi, do walk away from the beach near the carpark (take cold drinks from the cafes there) & over to the 'island', the further you walk the prettier the beach, & fewer people & this is where the pink sand is. I'm always shocked how many people sit on the sunbeds next to the carpark, rammed in together like sardines & that is not the best bit of beach!
Old May 18th, 2017, 05:21 AM
Original Poster

@jwugg - Thank you!
Old May 18th, 2017, 05:24 AM
Original Poster

@jwugg - Thank you! We are staying at Nikolas Rooms in chania. (near the Venetian harbor). Where do we have to catch a bus to Elafosini? And would you recommend us booking the bus tickets in advance?

Thanks
Old May 18th, 2017, 06:43 AM

There is no need to purchase the tickets in advance, just be early enough at the bus station.
The bus station is next to the Hotel Samaria /1866 Square, which is just a short walk from the old town of Chania.

You also have the option of buying tickets on line and receive them via email ( have never tried it)

Here is the official website for KTEL ( the coach company) Chania

http://www.e-ktel.com/en
Old May 18th, 2017, 06:44 AM

Forgot to add the phone, here it is : 28210 93052
Old May 18th, 2017, 07:23 AM

You have received sound advice.
If you are a bit timid about using the bus system (there is no reason to be) there are excursions to Balos which include the bus. Any travel agent can sell you the package. It will be a bit more expensive than just DIY for the same trip.
By the way you will also stop in Gramovossa where there is a 14th century pirate fortress. Bring decent walking shoes. This
Just for fun here are some images of western Crete.
Western Crete http://www.flickr.com/photos/stanbr5...7632115757899/
Balos Gramovossa images 79-106
Old May 18th, 2017, 07:29 AM
Original Poster

@clausar - Thank you for the detailed response We will buy the tickets the day we get to Chania
@stanbr - The pictures are lovely! We have decided to go to Elafosini!

Suman
Old May 18th, 2017, 08:12 AM
Original Poster

Hi,

Needed a couple of other suggestions. Can anyone suggest how we can spend our evenings in chania. We're there for 2 nights. We are 2 girls 25 years of age. Can anyone suggest a few fun places to visit? Must try restaurants? We are vegetarians so any place that serves great veggie food?

Thanks
Old May 20th, 2017, 03:57 AM

You don't need help with how to spend your evenings.... just walk to the harbour, that's all you need to know! There are many bars & cafes all the way along the Venetian harbour, & if you head towards the lighthouse, take the small road through the car park & round the little headland, you will come to Koum Kapi, another long long stretch of bars & cafes where most of the young Cretan people go. Some are music bars, some stay open til late (early morning!).

For eating, the places on the harbour are not good value - mediocre food at higher prices. But behind the harbour, still in the old town there are many lovely places to eat. some of my favourites (I'm veggie) are Tamam, Chrisostomas, Kouzina EPE, Portes (now on Nea Hora town beach)& many more! plenty of vegetarian things, most starters & salads are vegetarian & nowhere minds you ordering a few to share, meze style. Of course stuffed peppers, vine leaves, giant beans, roasted veg etc & try 'Boureki' a Chania region speciality, a courgette & potato bake with local mizithra cheese.You might want to look at To Stachi, a vegetarian & vegan taverna between the old harbour & Koum Kapi, it's simple, traditional Cretan cooking, all fresh & natural & good value.
Old May 20th, 2017, 11:05 PM
Original Poster

@jwugg - Thank you! Will try out the restaurants you suggested!
Old May 21st, 2017, 10:40 AM

Received 22 Likes on 4 Posts
Chania- also Well of the Turk