Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   Can two people have the same screen name on this forum? (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/can-two-people-have-the-same-screen-name-on-this-forum-638464/)

Marsha Aug 11th, 2006 12:44 PM

Can two people have the same screen name on this forum?

I am a registered member, posting under the name "Marsha." For amusement this afternoon, I ran a search of my name. (I have never done this before, but thought I would see exactly when I first posted and how many times.) I found my previous posts, but I also found another "Marsha" who has been to Prague and Rome. Although I am very jealous of her, I would like to know if there can be two of us with the same screen name. The post couldn't have come from my computer, as my husband isn't really interested in posting (and he has never been to Prague or Rome!).

laclaire Aug 11th, 2006 01:01 PM

Perhaps the posts are old and she has since signed off of the board? The same screenname should not be possible (when you choose, they run a search and tell you if it is taken or not), so check the dates and make sure you are not missing a symbol or something in the name.

janisj Aug 11th, 2006 01:09 PM

my first guess was the other Marsha was pre-registration. But I just took a look and the "other" Marsha (assuming you have not posted about Rome) is a current poster.

This is really odd. If you are concerned - you can e-mail the editors and see what's up.

MarciaMarciaMarcia Aug 11th, 2006 01:14 PM

Hope it's not my sn causing the problem. Different spelling. I can re-register under something else if it's a problem.

FainaAgain Aug 11th, 2006 01:17 PM

I only found "marshagenn"... can somebody please post a link to "the other Marsha"?

(and I hope I am unique ;) )

Christina Aug 11th, 2006 01:20 PM

don't worry, you are allowed to be Marcia... I thought your name was funny.

There are no duplicate registrations. I don't see any in this case. The Prague posts were long ago, preregistration when anyone could just type in a name. The current ones to Rome are clearly a different screenname Marshag.. something with a last name.

No one can register under the same name. The few times someone thought that, the name had different letters in it that could look similar (like a one instead of an l or something). This name isn't even similar, just look at it at the top, the screenname isn't even close to the same.

FainaAgain Aug 11th, 2006 01:41 PM

Christina, is it "marshagenn" - the same as I found?

Sometimes the difference is almost invisible, for example one can register as "girl" and "gir1" - see the difference? Letter "l" or number "1" difficult to distinguish.

Or I was registered as Faina, but after switching the computers somehow the log-in didn't work (not banned at that time) so I had to re-register as FainaAgain.

FainaAgain Aug 11th, 2006 01:43 PM

We also have several Sharon's, remember SharonG and her trio of terror? Where is she????? Also several Linda's with different spelling.

Marsha, I wouldn't worry about somebody using exact same spelling, probably just something similar.

janisj Aug 11th, 2006 02:03 PM

This thread from April has a post fron "Marsha" about hotels in Rome http://www.fodors.com/forums/threads...p;tid=34795667

Marsha - are you sure your husband isn't leading a double life?? :)

laclaire Aug 11th, 2006 02:16 PM

Yeah, Marsha. What if he not only has been to Rome, but has a daughter who swims competitively?

FainaAgain Aug 11th, 2006 02:17 PM

Hmmm... Marsha, is your daughter a competitive swimmer, too? :)

Marsha Aug 11th, 2006 05:31 PM

As I go through the other "Marsha" postings, it does appear that the other "Marsha" was pre-registration. She has not posted since 2002. (Was registration sometime in late 2002?) So that mystery is solved.

And I did post that question about hotels in Rome with pools - I hope that in 2007 we will finally get to Italy! (Yes, our daughter is the competitive swimmer.) I finally found a great website that lists pools in hundreds of cities around the world: www.swimmersguide.com. Now we can find indoor pools where ever we travel.

Janis, LaClaire and Faina: My husband only wishes he was leading a double life - with a rich wife who will spend money on something besides travel.

MarciaMarciaMarcia: I love your screen name. If only we had been as popular as Marcia Brady in high school!

MarciaMarciaMarcia Aug 12th, 2006 04:57 AM

LOL! You never know who is going to get the Brady Bunch reference. I doubt that the Brady Bunch made syndication in Europe!

kybourbon Aug 12th, 2006 05:08 AM

Registration was January 2003.