Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Can the October/November weather in Auvergne be that different from Paris?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Oct 17th, 2004, 10:27 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Ok, I admit this is both a weather and a what to pack question. If I am going to be both in Paris and visiting the Auvergne the last week of Oct and first week of Nov. can I expect similar weather? Someone told me Saint Flour already had snow. I'm not prepared for snow in Paris that soon. I'm trying to pack light. The Auvergne area is not high on the tourist meter so information is a bit sparse. Thanks for any help. Deborah
Old Oct 17th, 2004, 11:18 AM

The tremendous variety within France is as evident in its weather patters as it is its regional cuisine and customs. If you've ever watched french weather reports, it can be astonishing how different the climate is from one place to another. I would expect the Auvergne to be colder than Paris in Oct/Nov, and quite possibly windier. It's a very rugged landscape - very beautiful, too.
Old Oct 17th, 2004, 11:28 AM

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post
Actually, in general, autumn is the best time to visit the Auvergne, it's often calm, warm and sunny. and the forests will be wearing the fall colors. The woods, there will be wild rasberries, strawberries, mushrooms.
Should you come across these tiny strawberries called "fraise des Bois, they are delicious and scented. Very expensive, if you buy them in Paris.
This is a beautiful, unspolt, rural part of France.
Old Oct 17th, 2004, 01:08 PM

St Flour claims an altitude of 900m or about 3,000 feet.

Though certainly not the Alps, it can easily be cooler higher up.

I was in the Auvergne in early May with my Dad. He wore another layer in the Auvergne than he did in Lyon.

I hope you file a trip report. I thought St Flour looked beautiful on the web but couldn't quite fit it in my itinerary. If you can try to see the town of Le Puy-en-Velay. The church on the finger of volcanic rock is a sight to behold.

Don't forget forme d'Ambert, cantal and St Nectaire cheeses.
Old Oct 17th, 2004, 01:40 PM
Original Poster

Thanks for the information, I was surprised when the friends I will be visiting suggested a whirlwind visit to family members in the Auvergne region. I want to have appropriate clothes without overwhelming them with my luggage. I didn't realize how far south of Paris were Saint Flour and Auillac (sorry can't remember how it's spelled) where the relatives live. Thanks again for any information you can provide. Deborah
Old Oct 17th, 2004, 03:13 PM

it gets sunnier later in the season than when indie was there. I lost the url but there is one where you can check the weather there. What town do they live in?
Old Oct 17th, 2004, 04:00 PM
Original Poster

cigalechanta, I believe they are in St.Flour and Aurillac. Will the leather jacket and cashmere sweaters I wear in Paris will take me through a long weekend there? I'm not a freeze baby but I want to be comfortable. Thanks for any advice. Deborah
Old Oct 17th, 2004, 04:09 PM

yes, take them the nights will be cool. let me see if I can find you an url for that area. My geography is not that good but the four departments are Allier, Cantal, Haute-Loire, Puy-de-Dome
I believe St flour is in the Cantal(great cheese!)
Old Oct 17th, 2004, 04:12 PM

here's one:
http://www.meteo.fr/meteonet/meteo/p...ges/zcdm24.gif
Old Oct 17th, 2004, 04:21 PM
Original Poster

Thanks Cigalechanta, I just found out today what my friends had planned for our visit and was thinking the towns were just outside Paris. Couldn't find much on the web so have pulled out a Fodor's book from '92 and realize it's way south of Paris!!I should be able to practice my french on the 6 hour car ride. Thanks for the weather site. Deborah
Old Oct 17th, 2004, 07:46 PM

Saint Flour has a pretty extensive web site with photos, several good maps (showing its position in France, in the region, and detailed road maps right around it), and lots of tourist information. It looks interesting.

Their web site is www.saint-flour.com
This is the URL for the city map:
http://www.saint-flour.com/planmax.htm

This is a very good detailed map of the historic city center:
http://www.saint-flour.com/plan.htm
Old Oct 17th, 2004, 08:03 PM

Should you decide to go, St Flour is not special, but a place to stay to see the area, though it's situated on a cliff. There is a lower town at the foot of the cliff and the older, upper town on the plateaau.. You'll see alot of tourists from this town more than any other. In the upper town, The Hotel Europe has a panoramic view over the valley. The Gothic Cathedral looks more like a fortress and inside is a wooden life-size christ in dark wood from the 15th century, some say earlier, but as far as I have read or heard , it is the only black Christ in France(Le Bon Dieu Noir)
Old Oct 18th, 2004, 12:11 AM

Deborah -

You will love the area around St. Flour. As already mentioned, try to visit le Puy - fantastic town built from volcanic stone. Also, the village of Blesle just nearby to St. Flour is one of the prettiest I've ever seen in France. And the drive around the Mt. Dore is a scenery (and cheese-lover's) dream. Enjoy!

-Kevin
Old Oct 18th, 2004, 05:28 AM
Original Poster

Happily cheese is one of my favorite foods, I expect to absolutely love this region. Only one week before I leave so I am fine tuning as much as I can. I am in the passenger seat in Auvergne but I know my friends will want to show off the region of their birth as well as their many relatives. This trip will be a bunch of "firsts" for me. Thanks for the help. Deborah