Can't Decide on Paris Hotel Help!!!

Search

Search this Thread

Old Apr 11th, 2003, 12:39 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We've been given good rates at the Hotel Langlois (9th)(Previously Des Croises), Hotel De L Esperance (5th) Hotel de l'Avre (15th), and slightly more for Hotel Du Lys in the 6th. Can anyone comment on hotels, neighborhoods, pros and cons, etc. We must decide quickly and don't know any of them. Had some help about the 15th arrond. but not the others.
Old Apr 11th, 2003, 01:02 PM

All your choices are good and have positive feedback here, which you can find via a text search. Also check for reviews by hotel name on tripadvisor.com and paris.org<BR><BR>The du Lys is located closest to the Seine, so is the most central. I've stayed there and would return. I've also considered the l'Esperance, which is perhaps a 10 minute walk further south, towards the rue Mouffetard and its lively street market. If cost is an issue and the rate is significantly better, I wouldn't hesitate to book there.<BR><BR>I like the more &quot;village-y&quot; atmosphere in the 5th or 6th more than that of the other arrondissements you mention. However, the hotel l'Avre looks lovely and I've considered it as well. It's just a bit further away from things.<BR><BR>Although the Langlois also looks like a very nice hotel, the area in which it is located is not as appealing, in my opinion.
Old Apr 11th, 2003, 01:44 PM

If you are rating them all fairly equally for price and what you think you get for that (you must have seen web sites or read reviews), I personally would favor the Esperance or H du Lys for location. I would estimate the Esperance is a lot farther than 10 minutes from the Seine, however--it's about a mile (1500m). I rented an apt. right near there myself for June/July, because I like that location.<BR><BR>I would def. choose the 5th or 6th from this list.
Old Apr 11th, 2003, 01:51 PM
Original Poster

Well, based on your comments I think we'll rule out Hotel Langlois. My only fear with Hotel Du Lys is that it would be really worn out looking. We are former antique dealers so love the look, but last trip ended up with spotted carpets, and bathroom with a door falling apart. Are both the De L Esperance and Du Lys charming, but clean? Hotel de L'Avre looks great on the web, but we want to be near sidewalk cafes, and places to eat at night.
Old Apr 11th, 2003, 05:18 PM

I can't say enough good things about du Lys! In it's price range I can't imagine more charm or a better location. Among me, my family, and friends, we have stayed there several times, and everyone always loves it. Most recently for me was last May. A colleague and her husband are going to be there in a couple of weeks at my suggestion, and my husband and I have reservations for end of May. <BR><BR>I think most of the bathrooms have been renovated in the last couple of years. I was in a quirky but perfectly adequate (my bathroom was up a couple steps from my bedroom!) single last time, but my daughter and her husband had a super room on the top floor, with a modern bathroom and a balcony where they were able to eat breakfast. And the croissants that come with the included breakfast are the freshest in the world--much better than those at Deux Magots, IMO.<BR><BR>The ancient, winding staircase is the only way upstairs, and that could be a problem for some, but it's a great workout!<BR><BR>As of recently, they have a website: www.hoteldulys.com<BR><BR>Have fun in Paris!<BR><BR>
Old Apr 11th, 2003, 05:24 PM

Forgot to mention that it's on a quiet street, rue Serpente, but in a lively part of Paris. It's very close St. Michel and Odeon metro stops.
Old Apr 11th, 2003, 06:15 PM
ira

Hi Danni,<BR> You wrote:<BR>&gt;My only fear with Hotel Du Lys is that it would be really worn out looking. &lt;<BR><BR> But, its supposed to be that way. If you want modern, clean, airconditioned, American style lodgings with a breakfast bar - you pay less.
Old Sep 3rd, 2003, 06:16 PM

Paris hotel help ARE hard to find, aren't they? Always running off with the handyman....
Old Sep 4th, 2003, 03:11 AM
ira

Very good Brimham
Old Sep 4th, 2003, 01:51 PM

(grin)