Can't believe I'm asking this!!!

Search

Search this Thread

Old Feb 18th, 2003, 07:55 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My wife and I have traveled quite alot without any problems. However, thanks to the potential upcoming war, along with the idea that the UK and USA are in this alone. My wife and I are a bit nervous about travel to and from London next month. Yeah,yeah--it's illogical but still, someone talk me into this. Again, I can't believe I'm asking this!
Old Feb 18th, 2003, 08:06 PM

I just had to give up a trip to Malta/Sicily due to my travel companion's health problems and I'm so disappointed. My kids said they were sorry but at least they didn't have to worry about me traveling during a possible war. But....I would not have given it up. I'm still chiding myself that I didn't take an earlier trip to Egypt but would not do so now. Hey, life's too short to worry about wars - there are so many of them (unless, of course, you're traveling to a war zone). It's not illogical to worry but you're not in the war zone. Please go for it.
Old Feb 18th, 2003, 08:17 PM

I am not among the groups that say either to stay away or to go with no regards to the current situation.<BR><BR>Some areas of the world are at extremely high risk for terrorism or danger. These include Afghanistan and parts of Colombia. Even the UK Foreign and Commonwealth Office advises against all travel. Other countries have warnings for all except essential travel.<BR><BR>I belive the chance for catastrophic attack on London is not extremely small. I think it is only somewhat small. It is possible that there will be nuclear or chemical attacks on London. It's more likely that a truck bomb will be exploded.<BR><BR>Do what you think is right for you. However, I don't think the chance of terrorism will be less in 5 years so waiting will not help. Of course, Colombia is so dangerous and will be in 5 years that I'll never go there.
Old Feb 18th, 2003, 08:18 PM

Oh, I was just in London earlier this month so don't interpret my post as a warning to stay away.
Old Feb 18th, 2003, 08:21 PM
pj

I am glad you are asking this so I do not have to!!<BR><BR> We are leaving 3/4/03 to Paris/Rome. Pleaseeeeeeeee reasure me too!<BR><BR> Well xanax here I come! I try to stay in the pragmatic, intellectual side of my brain. We are not going into a warzone ect. <BR> But really, it will be safe, less crowds, stretch out in the plane! PJ
Old Feb 18th, 2003, 08:32 PM

These questions keep coming up. All I can think about is a friend of mine who was in France on 9/11 with her son and his wife who are working and living there. They cut short their stay thinking they needed to get home to the US. The week they got home, she crossed a street and was hit and killed by a bus.<BR>I'm still going to London, Germany, and to Paris for two months in June and July.
Old Feb 18th, 2003, 11:33 PM

Oh, Patrick, what a sad story. But what a lesson to learn--carpe diem! Buerkle, I understand your anxiety, 'cause I have some, too. I'm going to London in July, and hey, let's face it, it's a target. But I *do* think we all need to go, and live our lives anyway. If I can offer some practical advice....please wear some ID, with your hotel information, and emergency numbers from home. If you're injured, you can be identified. Also, take some e-mail addresses with you, in case the phones are overburdened by some disaster. Reaching home by e-mail may be the only possibility. We've seen something we couldn't have imagined on 9/11, so now our minds are running wild. I handle my anxiety by planning ahead, so I always like to travel with phone numbers, food and water, a change of clothes, and a credit card that hasn't been maxed out. Odds are, you might not be injured, just stranded at an airport somewhere, wishing you were home in your own bed. I use London as my model on this one--if they can survive the Blitz, I know I can handle a few weeks in Europe. Soldier on!!!!!
Old Feb 19th, 2003, 12:02 AM

I hope this will tell you that you can be anywhere at any time and strike it lucky or unlucky. In 1995, the IRA planted a bomb at the bus stop in London that I used to catch the bus home from work. I had just left to return to NZ. I was once on a coach tour and we arrived in Paris to find a bomb had gone off the day before in a metro station. The place was swarming with riot police. I arrived in Lyon some months later to find a bomb had been planted in the city the day before. I was in a mall in Manchester just prior to another bomb going off and wrecking the entire complex. I'm not trying to be over dramatic but it is not possible for us to remain entirely safe anywhere any more, at least not in these times and I believe we must get on with it as best we can. I have just spent three months in Europe and I know what the mood was, it was not one of gaiety but people were still just - getting on with it. The interesting thing is that I felt perfectly safe everywhere I went. Don't spoil your plans and holidays by constantly worrying about something that hopefully will never happen.
Old Feb 19th, 2003, 12:10 AM
Michael

I would go, but if you feel uncomfortable about being away from home while a war is going on, don't make any plane reservations. We did not send 200,000+ troops to the Mideast just to bring them home without a fight, satisfied with an Iraqi compliance which will be at best reluctant.

Old Feb 19th, 2003, 12:51 AM

I can't believe you are asking this either. If there is a war, it will be on another continent, so the UK is hardly on the front line. Of course there is a threat of terrorism, but that is just as likely in the USA. In fact, now that the IRA is inactive, the threat of terrorism in London is probably lower than at any time since the 60s. As an American who has lived in the UK for over 30 years, I feel perfectly safe here. Come on over, and have a good time.
Old Feb 19th, 2003, 02:19 AM

I think Heimdall underplays the dangers considering the recent terror alerts at Haethrow and Gatwick. However, I wouldn't stop travelling on the extremely remote chance of a bomb going off in my vicinity. <BR><BR>Having said that, I think we'd all appreciate it if KathyNZ could post her future travel plans so we can all avoid wherever she's heading. That girl's a liability!!
Old Feb 19th, 2003, 02:49 AM

The very real threat has long since past - The various Irsih terrorists. They did set off some huge bombs (destroyed the Baltic exchange for example). <BR><BR>In all honesty London is as safe now as it's ever been, especially with the increased police presence, soldiers at heathrow etc.<BR><BR>Remember we've had decades of experience in anti-terrorism. America still hasn't begun to get to grips with the necessary security measures.<BR><BR>I live here and feel totally safe.
Old Feb 19th, 2003, 03:12 AM

Yeah, well, I can believe you´re asking this. With us it´s similar: Only that we´re traveling from GERMANY TO the US on March, 1st. <BR>Friends and family have asked us whether this is a good idea. They must be thinking about flight safety, biochemical threats and also hostile feelings towards us being German. <BR>And to be honest, I have moments when I´m a bit unsure about it, too. <BR> But then again: No, we will catch that plane and return in good health!
Old Feb 19th, 2003, 04:31 AM
aj

I can relate to how you feel but personally I would rather be killed in London or Paris than in the boring little city I live in! We will not cancel our trip to Europe in May unless
Old Feb 19th, 2003, 04:32 AM
aj

Sorry, I hit SEND by mistake...unless the flights are all cancelled! I hope that you continue with your plans and have a wonderful time.
Old Feb 19th, 2003, 04:41 AM

Of all the places to go in Europe, I would feel the safest in London. After years of dealing with Irish terrorists, they have hidden cameras in every nook and cranny to keep an eye on what is going on. Go and don't worry about it.
Old Feb 19th, 2003, 04:59 AM

I feel your pain! but,I am still going to Paris. Not too worried at all. European airlines are supposed to be less likely to get hijacked. My only fear is something bad happens and we can't get home,much like after 9/11.
Old Feb 19th, 2003, 05:52 AM

I feel the same way, and I wish Fodor's would stop deleting these posts about &quot;the effect of war on traveling&quot; issue. It IS a VERY legitimate travel question. Rick Steve's site addresses this both in an aricle, and the Graffiti wall. I think I would feel safest in London however. Kashcka: FYI, our next door neighbors Elsa and Reinhart from Cologne, live here in their lovely home in SW Fl for 6 months out of the year, and feel very safe here in the US. Judy
Old Feb 19th, 2003, 05:57 AM

European airlines are not less likely to be hijacked. Look at the Air France hijackings to Entebbe, Uganda and Marseilles, France where there were spectacular raids to take back the plane. A Lufthansa plane was successful raided by troops in Somalia. These are just 3 that come to mind.<BR><BR>A few weeks ago, there was a TV programme in London about Arab terrorists exploding a low tech, but catastrophic nuclear bomb in Trafalgar Square. The conclusion was that not too many people would be killed immediately, some more people would get cancer, but millions scared and Trafalgar Square sealed off for 200 years. So even in the worst scenario, most people, including you, would not be killed.<BR><BR>If al-Qaeda tries to blow up a large building or a stadium, more will die. However, you will probably visit small restaurants, small shops, some large museums, etc.
Old Feb 19th, 2003, 06:04 AM

Kascha912: Come to the U.S. and enjoy your stay! I would hope that no one would treat you badly because of your government's position regarding war; just as I hope I won't be treated badly because of my government's position when I go to Europe later this year. Citizens should not be punished for something they have no control over.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -