Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   can spend 3 days in Dublin,Vienna,Brussels,Munich or Lisbon-must chose 1 city ?? (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/can-spend-3-days-in-dublin-vienna-brussels-munich-or-lisbon-must-chose-1-city-59993/)

Marcie Jan 16th, 2000 08:42 AM

can spend 3 days in Dublin,Vienna,Brussels,Munich or Lisbon-must chose 1 city ??

Prior to a cruise we can spend 3 days in another city (open jaw allowed) We have spent a great deal of time in France, Italy and Spain so wanted to see another country. Our cruise is Scandanavian/Russia. Which city would you chose to spend 3 days in and why? Thanks for helping us! Marcie

s.fowler Jan 16th, 2000 12:45 PM

A few thoughts... I'd cross Brussels off the list... unless you take side trips to Brugges and Ghent. I might pick Vienna because it is so histroic and you could take a day trip to Budapest. I'm not a big Munich fan. I've never been to Dublin, but it seems awfully unrelated to the cruise. Lisbon might be somewhat similar to Spain. [My only memory is a few hours, rather jetlagged on my first trip to Europe in 1962 - I remember a monastery, women in black with donkey's and olive trees.] I'd probably pick Lisbon or Vienna. But it might make your trip more coherent to pick Munich or Vienna.

bo_jack Jan 16th, 2000 09:13 PM

I have not been in Dublin; however, having been in each of the others, I would choose Vienna. Very historic city; great food; good transportation system; relatively compact; lots to see and do. Probably more closely related to the rest of your trip. I could spend a couple of days on the second floor of the cultural history museum by itself. The only drawback to Vienna is that it is relatively expensive compared with some of the others.

Frank Jan 24th, 2000 03:37 PM

I would also recommend Vienna. It's a great "walking city" with alot of convenient opportunities for dining, museums, markets, theater, etc. You can do as much, or as little, as you want without in this relatively compact and interesting city. Yes, it is fairly expensive, but there are many "bargains" (for example, museum admissions are reasonable,do not miss the Museum of Fine Arts; inexpensive breakfasts at the numerous coffee/pastry shops; lunch at a sausage stand (a real revelation!), great window shopping in quaint shops, the "Nachtmarket" is an interesting market to stroll through, etc).

linda Jan 24th, 2000 07:45 PM

I would pick Vienna also. There is much to see historically as well as new. While there we saw the Lippizans doing there daily workout. It was great seeing them in ballroom setting with chandeliers overhead and a dirt floor. Do some research to decide what you would like to see because there is too much to see in just three days. Enjoy. <BR>Linda

eric Jan 25th, 2000 02:39 AM

go to vienna. youŽll never see such a lovely place. cafes, theatre, unforgettable museums, national library, journeys into the past e.g. Graham Greene "The third man"!, etc. <BR>Do it in VIENNA!

Adam Jan 25th, 2000 04:56 AM

Why does everyone recommend crossing off Brussels as a destination unless as a starting out point for those hackneyed old theme parks of Bruges and Gent? Brussels is historic, beautiful, compact and ideal for a day's sightseeing. It has what is probably one of the most beautiful squares in the world - The Grand'Place - and shopping and dining are second to none! Give Brussels a chance - you won't be disappointed!

Debi Jan 25th, 2000 05:57 AM

I agree with most of the other people. Vienna is absolutely beautiful. It is a wonderful place to walk - if you're they're in the spring/summer there are street entertainment acts that are wonderful, there is the Spanish Riding School - which I loved. Great restaurants, great shopping, etc. etc.

markizzy Jan 25th, 2000 04:23 PM

I'm sure I'll catch flack for this but...I like Munich (although I haven't been to Vienna). Nice historic buildings, great art museum, city park, the Schwabing District has terrific shopping, beer halls, day trip to Neuschwanstein (sp?) or Salzburg. Can you give us more info on what interests you? I like Brussels (IMO--best food in Europe) but 3 days is alot there; Dublin--GREAT people, interesting architecture but don't know if 3 days is enough.

nuno Feb 23rd, 2000 08:22 AM

I advise with no hesitation LISBON - it is superbly beautiful, Europe's most scenic capital, very richly endowed with history, unique architecture and great museums and Europe's best climate... surrounded my an amazingly beautiful coastline and beaches.

julie Feb 23rd, 2000 03:59 PM

Have been to all butViena. It depends on what interests you, but I am interested in British history (Anglophile?) and therefore, Dublin is very interesting. Great Viking musuems, (the Book of Kells) from the 9th and 10th century, intesting people and history, weather might be drab, but I would think Dublin would be a great introduction to history of The Nordic peoples. Dublin gets my vote, especially if you like Irish music.

Tricia Feb 23rd, 2000 09:27 PM

Its not on your list but what about Prague?

Ivan Feb 24th, 2000 12:42 AM

Vienna is beautiful no doubt, but if you are politically correct you won't want to go to Austria right now. One of the guys who is running the country is from extreme right party (spell, pro-Nazi). I would recommend Budapest or Prague.

dan woodlief Feb 24th, 2000 05:42 AM

First, let me say I haven't been to Lisbon or Dublin. Brussels is ok, but not that great for 3 days unless you take daytrips as recommended above. I liked Munich, but it isn't one of my favorites. A day or so in Munich with trips to Dachau and the castles down south would be a good choice. Personally, I would probably take Vienna, Haider or nor Haider. There is easily enough to keep you busy for three days, or you can stay two days and go to Budapest for a day.

Anne Feb 24th, 2000 09:33 AM

I just returned from a 2 week trip to Zurich, Munich and Vienna (before Italy, my favorite place to vacation). I definitely would recommend Vienna. I stayed in the famous Sacher Hotel which is in a great location across from the State Opera House. I walked everywhere and each time I turned down a street, I discovered something wonderful. I also saw an opera and a ballet. The art museum has one of the 5th best painting collections in the world and is also a spectacular building. Munich was fun, but Vienna tops it.

john Feb 25th, 2000 02:37 PM

Once again, Vienna.

Carol Feb 26th, 2000 11:47 PM

Dear Marcie, I can't speak for Dublin or Lisbon. I lived in Munich for seven months, and while I have fond memories and have travelled back, I would not recommend it over Vienna (and I haven't been to Vienna.) Based on reports from friends, I think Vienna has more to do and see. Munich is a friendly, lovely city, but many of the tourist "highlights" are actually overrated. Vienna, on the other hand, is the Paris of Eastern Europe. I regret not going there and have it on my must see list. My violin teacher lived there for several years with her Vienna born husband, and it sounds like wonderful.

Lynn Feb 27th, 2000 07:39 AM

My pick would also be Vienna. There is not enough to do in 3 days in Brussels. It is a big city with some flair, but Vienna is just 'special'. <BR>My second choice would be Munich, but it would be a distant second, compared to Vienna. You will not be disappointed. Have a great time, Marcie.

mariana Feb 27th, 2000 11:18 AM

You have wonderful choices. All of these cities are unique and lovely "in their own way". Vienna is beautiful and full of interesting atmospheric and historical things to see and do. However we lived in Lisbon for 2 years in the 70's (so I'm a little partial)and it is indeed an incrediably beautiful city, full of history and color, and oh so interesting...and I believe more economical than the others(hotels and delicious food) AND the people are VERY friendly and nice and in this aspect would probably rank at the top of the list of these cities....although we have found lovely people in ALL of the mentioned cities. <BR>Sounds like a wonderful trip and cruise. <BR>I just reread your message.....Portugal is not like Spain....however if you have spent time in france, italy and spain, then Austria (Vienna) would be a good choice and nice change.

Nissa Feb 29th, 2000 05:40 AM

Here's a second vote for Munich! See the Residenz (research the Antiquarium, one of the finest rooms in Europe), the city home of the Wittlebach dynasty. The attached Shatzkammer (buy a ticket for both) is indeed a "treasury" of splendid things. It is Europe's second best (can't beat London) collection of crown jewels. I loved them AND the small but precious statue of St. George,his horse and the dragon is glorious! I like the Bavarian National Musueum. There are other excellent Museums in Munich too! A day trip down south would be fun as well. Wish I could show you Munich, Wes!