Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Can someone please explain the surcharge for solo travelers?

Jun 22nd, 2001, 10:03 AM
Ess

It's so unfair! The extra charge seems really steep. What is the reason for this?

Jun 22nd, 2001, 10:15 AM
rand

Um. One person in a room paying the same as for two?

Jun 22nd, 2001, 10:17 AM
justtrying

I'm not quite sure what you mean by surcharge. However, where there are rates advertised per person, based on double occupancy (i.e. for a room), then where there will only be one occupant the per person rate must go up. I'm not sure if this is what you are talking about.

Jun 22nd, 2001, 10:44 AM
elvira

Do you mean for a cruise? Even if you agree to sharing a room with a stranger, there's no guarantee that there'll be somebody; once again, one person taking up the space that could be used by two.

Have you seen the supermarket ads "buy 1, get the 2nd one for 50% off?". You can't buy ONE for 25% off, you buy ONE at full price. Quantity, honey, is the name of the game.

Jun 22nd, 2001, 11:44 AM
Ess

Sorry if I was unclear. I meant for travel packages that include airfare and hotel, or airfare and rental car. The charge for a solo traveler is much higher than for two travlers. I think it's unfair. What difference does it make whether one person or two occupy the room or drive the car?

Jun 22nd, 2001, 11:53 AM
Blimpie

Ess, are you serious? Would you rent a room to just one person for half the price you could get for two people in the same room?

Jun 22nd, 2001, 12:05 PM
Ess

Blimpie, I am serious. I guess I'm just especially stupid today, but I don't get it. It seems to me that solo travelers are penalized on some things that don't matter whether there's one person or two.

Jun 22nd, 2001, 12:19 PM
Cindy

Ess, here's my understanding:

Let's assume a hotel/air package that costs the wholesaler $500. They sell it to me and my husband double occupancy for $750 per person, which is a total of $1500. Profit = $1000.

Now a single traveler comes along. They need to sell it to you for $1500 to make the same $1000 profit. Hence, the single supplement.

Look at it this way -- you pay more, but you don't have to share the sink, either.

Jun 22nd, 2001, 12:23 PM
Does This Help?

Try looking at this way -- you are purchasing something that has a fixed cost, for examnple, a computer at $1,200. It doesn't matter to the computer company how many people use it, as long as they get their $1,200. If you split the cost with another person, e.g., a domestic partner, you'll each pay $600. If you buy it alone, you'll pay $1,200.

Now instead of a computer, think of a week's car rental at $300. You and domestic partner would pay $150 each; you alone would pay $300. Does that sort of make sense?

Jun 22nd, 2001, 12:30 PM
janis

That is why inclusive hotel/car tours are such a bad deal for singles. Not only do the operators have to double the cost of the room -- the car rental also needs to be upped.

So Ess, unless the single supplement is twice the cost, the couples are actually subsidizing the singles. That is why when I' so happy when I find a B&B or hotel that only has a small single supplemnt.

Jun 22nd, 2001, 12:39 PM
xx

The doubles are supplementing the singles? Not always. Sometimes plane fare is part of the package. In those cases, there may not be a subsidy at all.

Jun 22nd, 2001, 01:26 PM
Christina

No one is subsidizing anyone, the costs are simply accurate costs PER PERSON. This is basic math. Single hotel rooms are almost the same cost as a double room, sometimes they are exactly the same costs as a lot of hotels don't have anything but one size one. I know because I've had many of them in Europe. I typical cost difference is roughly that a single hotel room may cost $125 while a double room costs $150. That is the cost of the ROOM, not per person. So per night accommodations for one person in the single room is $125 whereas it is one-half of $150 or only $75 PER PERSON for those in double rooms. Thus, the single supplement is the diff. in $125-$75, or about $50 a day. This is not unfair at all and does not make such trips a "bad deal" for singles. In fact, many packages are better neogtiated room rates than you could get on your own as a single, and the supplement is very reasonable. I've been on several and in some places, you get a fullsize double room as many hotels don't have the smaller singles (which are usually not so nice). Believe me, these packages are priced fairly and the operators are not trying to over or underprice the single supplements, just have them be an accurate representation of cost. Nothing else in the package differs (food, bus transportation, etc), so if you simply buy a regular tour, it may often be only $25-50 a day. Anything with a car rental thrown in would obviously have the same issues as a hotel room. Take a look at the single supplements on Paul Laifer tours, for example, if you think they are unfair, his firm has very good tours of Central/Eastern Europe and the single supplements are only about $25-35 per day. If you really prefer to save that small amount to room with a stranger (not me), book a Rick Steves' tour where he forces you to room with someone. His tours are overpriced in other ways, so you won't come out ahead, I doubt. If you really want to sleep etc with strangers to save that amount of money, there are some travel sites and organization where you can match up with others to share rooms. www.travelchums.com is one, I think.

Jun 23rd, 2001, 09:39 AM
Cas

There are brighter days ahead.
When you turn 50 or so, there are 2 tour companies that I know of (Grand Circle and Saga) who have no single supplement on most of their packages. And they aren't really tours, either. Flight, breakfast and/or dinner, and the rest is up to you to do what you want independently. A good deal! (And NO-- I'm in no way connected with either company.) BTW, does anyone know of any other companies like these for seniors? Cas

Jun 25th, 2001, 01:19 PM
topper

to the top.