Can parking in Vienna be avoided?

Jun 3rd, 2004, 06:09 AM
Original Poster

Can parking in Vienna be avoided?

I will be driving from Munich airport to Vienna. I understand that parking in Vienna is available but who wants to pay 8 Euros per hour or 37 Euros per day?
Knowing that Vienna has an extensive Subway/S-Bahn system, can anyone (maybe a Vienna resident) recommend an outlying train station where cheap or free parking is available? This station would have to be near the Autobahn Linz-Vienna.
Jun 3rd, 2004, 09:51 AM

Where are you staying in Vienna? Is it possible that your hotel would have parking available to its guests? We always stay at the Hotel Admiral behind the Museum Quartier because of the free parking spots they offer.
Jun 3rd, 2004, 10:50 PM

Wow, free parking at a Vienna hotel would be great. I had never found such a deal when looking for a hotel in the city center.

roterbaron, I wrestled with this same issue in March. Some colleagues recently lived in Vienna and showed me places in the city where you could park in the street for free. The places they showed me were a bit east of Schönbrun palace in a residential area and near a metro stop. However, I don't think these are too near the Autobahn you've mentioned.

If your up for the adventure, you could study a map a find such a place in the outskirts of town. In the end, I decided that it wasn't worth the extra time and worry (what if the car were stolen or hit on the street?) to park far fro the hotel, and ponied up the 35 Euro/day.
Jun 4th, 2004, 05:11 AM

Check out their website for your next visit. (Under "Service" they mention their guest car park.) It's clean, well located and reasonably priced.

http://www.admiral.co.at/index1.html

Jun 21st, 2004, 11:04 PM

I hope that this message is not too late for your trip.
As you enter the out areas of Vienna the autobahn becomes a one way street of 3 lanes toward the center of the city.A short distance on this street brings you to the District of Hütteldorf and you will see the end station of the subway line U-4 on the left hand side. This line will take you directly to the city center.You can find a free parking place on the streets nearby.
If you happen to miss this stop the road continues past the Ober St. Veit and Unter St. Veit stops of U-4 also with easy parking near both.

Vienna is not a convenient city for autos. Parking any where is not easy and usually expensive.Driving can be confusing , especially in the city center with numerous one way streets.
The vienna public transport system is excelent , clean and not costly. Most tourist sites can be easily reached using it.