Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Can one order a beer at Cafe Florian or another establishment at San Marco??

May 8th, 2008, 09:19 AM
Original Poster

May 8th, 2008, 10:19 AM

Sure! Beer, wine, alcoholic drink, coffee, soft drink, fruit juice -- you name it.
May 8th, 2008, 11:33 AM

be aware, if you order inside you may not sit outside as those tables are reserved for people who order there (its more expensive). we had 2 coffee's each (4 total) plus a crossiant and paid 48e in september 07. but its worth every penny!
May 8th, 2008, 04:29 PM

You can order whatever you want - but expect it to be big $$ - since you're paying a music charge to sit outside.
May 8th, 2008, 05:52 PM

Yes, but no matter what the cost it is worth it to sit in the living room of Venice. You aren't paying for the grub; you are paying for the view.

Thin,
who got drunk at Florian and fell into a canal.
May 8th, 2008, 06:16 PM

I agree, you can't put a price on sitting in that location! You fell into a canal?! I almost did too when I was traisping in the rain, I stopped inches short of the edge and then I teetered, good thing I was sober or I would have been in the drink so to speak.
May 8th, 2008, 10:49 PM

"You aren't paying for the grub; you are paying for the view.", and you're paying to be looked at!
May 9th, 2008, 03:53 AM

I blocked out how much we spent, it was outrageously expensive for a couple glasses of wine. But the memory was worth every penny.

oohh Thin! Wouldn't that be something for Muffy to do instead of you? What were you wearing? Was it ruined?
May 9th, 2008, 05:23 AM

Well, I was actually with a British marchioness and a photographer(photo shoot for Todd Oldham) at the time. We were walking away from Piazza San Marco when I decided to take a slash. I went down some dark alley--right outside someone's front door--and fell into the canal. Luckily, it was not that deep because there were steps going down to a boat launch. I went in up to my knees. My shoes were ruined (I had just bought them in Florence).

We were staying at Cipriani and you should have seen the looks on people's faces at the hotel when I walked in. Now, with all the Eurotrash who stay there you would have thought that my "socialite-in-a-hurricane" attire would have gone unnoticed. Not!

I am sure that all the staff was whispering, "That American alcoholic homosexual fell into the canal. Again."

Thin

May 9th, 2008, 12:52 PM
Original Poster

Okay so we CAN get beer at Cafe Flore? or not there but at other establishments at San Marco? I was thinking perhaps Cafe Flore was just an espresso/tea house....wasn't sure about them having beer.
May 9th, 2008, 01:02 PM

They have everything you can drink Even just water.
May 9th, 2008, 01:22 PM

Thin,

I can only imagine what happened to you when you were in those dark alleys around the Nollendorf Platz!!!
May 9th, 2008, 01:41 PM

I would never cheat on my husband, Dukey. NEVER!

Plus, my husband is Jewish. He is clipped, if you know what I mean. Those German lads are not. EWWWWWWW!

Thin,
who likes things trimmed.