Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Can my kids charge their iPods in Italy without ruining them?

Apr 12th, 2006, 02:00 PM
Original Poster

Can my kids charge their iPods in Italy without ruining them? (I'm talking about with a wall socket; not a car socket.)

In Europe, I've only used adaptors/converters for hair dryers and curling irons - with some disasters. I caused the lights to go out in a small German hotel with my hair dryer. Once in Prague, my curling iron totally burnt off the strand of hair I was curling.

With that past, I thought I should ask, lest we fry the expensive iPods.
Apr 12th, 2006, 02:04 PM

You will need a converter and an adaptor to charge the iPod.
Apr 12th, 2006, 02:11 PM

Actually,that's not true.The car/wall charger I have uses dual currency.You will only need a plug to fit Italian sockets. I have used mine in Turkey and India with perfect results.
Apr 12th, 2006, 02:15 PM

I don't think it's wise to issue blanket statements about someone else's electronics. You don't know what model they're using, or its electrical characteristics.

If the iPOD in question has a power supply that accepts 120-240VAC, all you will need is a plug adapter.

If it only accepts 110-120VAC, then a transformer converter is also required.
Apr 12th, 2006, 02:18 PM

Good advice from Robespierre and you can learn more here:

Since "Ipod" means Apple

http://docs.info.apple.com/article.html?artnum=60939
Apr 12th, 2006, 02:20 PM

And the plug adaptor you'll neeed is the usual for Continental plugs (two round pins).
Apr 12th, 2006, 02:38 PM

Well,I do believe we were talking about an iPod,and an iPod is what I have and what I'm talking about,so...
Apr 12th, 2006, 03:36 PM

It is important to read the label on your device to see what its input requirements are, and not rely on information from an internet travel board.

In this particular iPOD case, you would have got away with it, but in general there is no certainty that someone's advice won't blow up your electronics, even if it's the same make and model.

I'll give you an example. I have a Siemens cell phone with a North American power supply. If I took the advice of someone with the same phone and a Universal power supply and simply plugged my phone into a European outlet, the charger (and probably the phone) would be ruined.

Is this clear?
Apr 12th, 2006, 03:55 PM

Intrepid1 & Robespierre: thanks for your replies to this post. This past Sunday my sister was asking me about this and I pretty much told her what was here, but I failed to go to the Apple site to see if there were accessories for this. As for the OP of this topic, if you're taking your kids overseas, shouldn't they be more focused on what's around them than what'll be filtering into their ears?
Apr 12th, 2006, 04:07 PM

>As for the OP of this topic, if you're taking your kids overseas, shouldn't they be more focused on what's around them than what'll be filtering into their ears?<

Perhaps you're presuming too much by thinking that these kids will be listening non stop to music from their iPods.

Maybe they plan to use them during train or plane rides to help pass the time - or perhaps they plan on downloading travel oriented podcasts to it.

I don't think what the OP's kids plan to do with their iPods is any of your business, really.
Apr 12th, 2006, 04:31 PM

"I don't think it's wise to issue blanket statements about someone else's electronics."

"Well,I do believe we were talking about an iPod,and an iPod is what I have and what I'm talking about,so..."

"In this particular iPOD case, you would have got away with it, but in general there is no certainty that someone's advice won't blow up your electronics, even if it's the same make and model."

Seems to me mass was giving good advice and not making a blanket statement

Apr 12th, 2006, 04:49 PM

I have taken my Ipod, ok it is *NOT* an ipod, but it is the Nomad 30 gig unit mp3 system, and lemme tell you, it sounds great and I have a radio station of tunes packed into this baby.

I have taken it to Europe several trips.

I just plug that baby into my converter and it charges perfectly.

>>>>>As for the OP of this topic, if you're taking your kids overseas, shouldn't they be more focused on what's around them than what'll be filtering into their ears?<<<<<<

I would not want to travel to Europe or anywhere without John Lee Hooker, Stevie Ray Vaughn, Led Zeppelin, Zz Top, The Doors, The Grateful Dead, Cream, John Mayall, Uriah Heep, Canned Heat, Moby Grape, Buddy Guy, Elmore James and so on and so forth. You know, *real* rock and blues!!! LOL
Apr 12th, 2006, 05:36 PM

I just went through the same song and dance for determining how to charge my ipod (Nano) while in France and the advice from Robespierre & Intrepid1 is right on the money. I got a Grffin Technology "Powerblock" power supply for $30 @ Best buy - again, you need to make sure this is compatible with your kids model of ipod - I know Apple also makes a power supply with the 110-240 voltage range capacity, but I'm not sure it's compatible with Nanos. then, you can get a plug adaptor for use in Italy at any good home electronic's supply store like Frye's or Radio Shack. Anyway, hopefully you can find a power supply because transformer coverters weigh a ton (OK, maybe 12 -16 oz).

Finally, I will have to second Sunstar in re the benefits of taking along an ipod. Just took mine along for the first time - to Paris, and it was great to have along. One day, I was in the Louvre, walking through the Near Eastern Antiquities section with my ipod playing in shuffle mode. Just as I enter this room filled with sarcophaguses (...sarcophagi???) and other funerary items, what starts playing on the ipod? A song called "Lost in the Catacombs" by Poi Dog Pondering! That was just priceless... well except, for the people staring at me when I started laughing.
Apr 12th, 2006, 05:47 PM

was just in germany w/ ipod nano and ipod 30G. bought a $16 contraption (convertor/transformer thingy) at walmart before the trip and it worked perfectly at charging our ipods w/ out burning them up. another fail proof option...buy a battery back-up for your ipod which supplies up to several hours of power w/out the chance of ruinning very expensive toys. just take extra batteries!!!
Apr 12th, 2006, 06:10 PM

I have yet to buy a piece of electronic equipment in about the last 15 years that was NOT dual voltage. Most people never check this because they don't need it, but I have lived outside the US for the last 17 years and its' one of the first questions I ask when buying any electronics, because I never know when I might be moving back to the US and want to make sure all my electronics will work.

I would be very surprised if you kids' iPod was not dual voltage, esp as both my iPods, which I bought in the US, are dual voltage. As Robspierre says, first check the iPod or call the Apple people and ask. Just read the original instructions, OR the back of the plug socket (if you can read letters that small), OR go on Apple's website; if anything there says that the model you have is 120-240VAC voltage, then your kids iPods are dual voltage and you can use them in Italy without any issue on burning them out.

However, as the plug they have has only two flat pins, you will need to bring a plug adaptor to fit over those pins and so "adapt" the plug to the Italian wall socket. You can buy adaptor plugs in the US, in stores in Italy, or often your hotel will lend them or sell them to you. Different countries have different wall socket configurations. Even within Italy I have found that older buildings have different wall sockets than newer or refurbished building, so I often bring more than one type of adaptor. A useful website for seeing what you might need for Italy is at voltagevalet.com. Another helpful site is http://www.escapeartist.com/global/W...wer_Guide.html

--

Apr 12th, 2006, 06:20 PM
kr

Its simple get a adapter for your plug on your ipod for europe, and plug it in and charge. Been doing it for years. Radio shack has an adapter with every plug u need for like 9 dollars.
Apr 12th, 2006, 06:57 PM

None of the current iPods are shipped with a power supply, unlike some earlier models. To charge one when traveling, one needs to buy one.

The Apple USB iPod adapter is $29. It's 110-240, designed to use for the iPod, and looks great. I don't see why one should buy anything but this one from Apple.

To plug the thing in to the wall, one needs a plug adapter. Any cheap one will do, but if you're an Apple aficionado (or if you've made a tonne of money from the AAPL stock), then you can buy the Apple World Travel Adapter Kit for $39. With this kit, you can replace the original prongs with the European (or wherever you're going). Very elegant, but not necessary.
Apr 12th, 2006, 07:04 PM
bat

cicerone:
One still needs to look--bought new JBL speakers for the iPod and "thought" they would be dual voltage (as were all of our other new electronics). Forgot to double check. Fried them.
Apr 12th, 2006, 07:05 PM
bat

cicerone:
I meant to add--one still needs to look--as you suggest--
Apr 12th, 2006, 07:07 PM

>I don't think what the OP's kids plan to do with their iPods is any of your business, really.<

Well, really, you're right, it's none of my business, but that was my opinion and I stand by it. I have an iPod Nano and I'm sure as heck not taking it with me on my trip to Paris. Instead of tuning out the sounds of where you're visiting, tune it in and soak of up audio ambience that's around.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy -

FODOR'S VIDEO