Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   Can Mapquest be right- 5 1/2 hours between York and Edinburgh? (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/can-mapquest-be-right-5-1-2-hours-between-york-and-edinburgh-286820/)

rainysundays Feb 10th, 2003 09:36 AM

Can Mapquest be right- 5 1/2 hours between York and Edinburgh?

Planning a trip to include some driving (this is waaaay out- not going until May 2004.) One thought was to take Britrail from London to York, then rent a car in York and drive up to Scotland. Mapquest estimates the journey from York to Edinburgh at 118 miles (190 km), with an estimated driving time of 5 1/2 hours!! I know it's not the same kind of freeway system as in the U.S., but can that be right? Mapquest always overestimates somewhat, but jeez Louise, that seems excessive! Has anyone had any experience with this journey? Thanks!!

KT Feb 10th, 2003 09:42 AM

Sorry, can't help you with the driving time, but something seems weird about the distance. Unless I'm mistaken, York to Edinburgh is more like 300 km, that is closer to 190 miles than 190 km.

MFNYC Feb 10th, 2003 09:48 AM

I just tried mapquest and mappy.com for York to Edinburgh. Both said the distance was 200+ miles (mapquest: 210, amppy: 240), 5+ hours. From my experience with Mappquest, their time estimates tend to be on the high side. The time you have seems about right (according to the map sites), but the distance is off.

Cricket Feb 10th, 2003 10:05 AM

Check maporama.com That's the one I've used around Italy, Germany and Austria.<BR><BR>Also Michelin's website. Not sure of the URL.<BR><BR>Can't help you with your GB question, but maybe you could cross check Mapquest with these 2.

GreenDragon Feb 10th, 2003 10:13 AM

Actually, they may not be too far off in the time required. It is a bit on the high side, for certain, but I don't think there is a direct road between the two (I could be wrong). We drove between the two 2 years ago, but we went via the coast, so it wasn't a good measurement, and we stopped overnight between. However, going from city to city there tended to be a penchant for non-direct routes. i.e., to get out of Newcastle going north, one had to go south for several miles, then head west, and then eventually turn north again... that sort of thing...

Barfly Feb 10th, 2003 11:44 AM

Its about 200 miles and should take about 4 hours providing you avoid rush hour around Newcastle and Edinburgh. <BR>Take the A19 north out of York and stay on it through the Tyne Tunnel and eventually it links with the A1 north of Newcastle. The reason it takes so long is that between Newcastle and Edinburgh the road is single carriageway much of the way - notoriously overdue for inprovement and an accident blackspot. On the positive side, the Northumberland coastline will provide you with some of England's most dramatic scenery - overlooked and missed by most tourists. <BR>Enjoy<BR>ian

janis Feb 10th, 2003 04:51 PM

I've done it in 3 hours 45 minutes - but that was late at night and I was flying low. Most of the time it takes between 4.5 and 5 hours.<BR><BR>For most first timers on the A-1 etc, count on a minimum 4.5 hours - if you are lucky

uncle_sam Feb 10th, 2003 04:58 PM

Yes, I've driven it...but we did spend an hour at Hadrian's wall.<BR><BR>US

moonbeam Feb 10th, 2003 05:04 PM

Via Michelin gives it 198 miles 4 hours 15 minutes. we've done it on the back roads in about 6 hours but much more interesting than the motorways.. and certainly a lot less congested!And if you've left early it is fun to stop in the small villages along the way1<BR><BR><BR>www.viamichelin.com<BR>

rainysundays Feb 10th, 2003 06:58 PM

Thanks for the info -I may opt for the train instead, but it sounds like a beautiful drive. Luckily I have time to decide! I'll have to do more checking into the sights along the way.

Rick Feb 11th, 2003 10:21 PM

I would vote for driving up the coast from York to Edinburgh if you have the time. Robin Hoods Bay, Whitby, The Boarders, Jedburgh Abbey, Melrose Abbey, Hadrian's Wall make this a great drive. We took 3 days from York stopping for the night at Whitby and Jedburgh.