Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Can Ireland, Paris, London be done in one trip?

Mar 5th, 2002, 01:57 PM
Jean

We're looking at travel to Ireland, and considering adding London and Paris as day trips or quick overnights. Has anyone done this, and if so, can you suggest an itinerary? The entire trip would be about 12-14 days. We're trying to determine if it's more cost effective to try to fly open jaws on this trip, or use RyanAir or the Eurostar to get to/from London and Paris. If we fly RT from one city, it could be either Dublin, Shannon, London, or Paris. The questions are 1) a suggested itinerary, and 2) recommended transportation to get between these cities/countries. Thanks!

Mar 5th, 2002, 02:02 PM
Diane

I would not recommend it. You'd need to fly to London (otherwise the boat/train combo you'd have to take eats up much much more time) Then you'd need to do a day trip via the chunnel train from London to Paris. It really doesn't sound worth the hustling around. With a trip that long, you might try to use up 3 days and 2 nights to see London, but I'd save Paris for another trip.

Mar 5th, 2002, 02:06 PM
Y____Y

!
TROLL ALERT *** Sorry, Jean, this doesn't hold a candle compared to Thunder Thighs thread. You can do better.

Mar 5th, 2002, 02:08 PM
Diane

oops - the rest of the suggestion -- try to fly open jaws either into London and then a quick flight to Ireland and return from there, or the reverse. It was a long time ago that I did an Ireland/London trip, flying RT into London, spending one quick sight-see day and night, then hopping a train north to the ferry. The boat took all night and we arrived in Belfast the next morning. Spent time visiting relatives in Northern Ireland, trained to Dublin for a night or two, back across the water to England and train to visit a friend at Cambridge. Then we did a final night (with a trip to the ballet) in London and flew home the next day. It was exhausting, but truly exciting for a 22 year old.

Mar 5th, 2002, 02:10 PM
Jean

Sorry, no troll. I wish we had the opportunity to do three separate leisurely trips, but we don't have that luxury. We have seen London and Paris before, but not everyone in our travelling party has. It would be a thrill even to do a day trip to each. I know that this type of thing (or similar) has been done before, and I was hoping to find an honest opinion. (Thanks, Diane!)

Mar 5th, 2002, 02:10 PM
Rex

Troll? what's troll-ish about this? It sounds okay to me. Many 12 day trips have one main destination, and two side excursions. I'd try to make them 36 hours long - - but as long as you realize how you're teasing yourself, it sounds do-able to me.

Best wishes,

Rex

Mar 5th, 2002, 02:15 PM
Jean

Thanks, Rex. I know you're an experienced traveler. Any suggestions on the nitty-gritty of how to get from point to point here, and create the most efficient itinerary (in terms of both time and money)?

Mar 5th, 2002, 02:19 PM
oneoption

Well, you haven't listed your priority for visiting places or what you "must" see/visit. Is it #1=Ireland, #2=London, and #3=Paris? Is it really 14 days at most excluding travel days or is 12 days with 2 travel days? If it's 14 solid days for the trip, maybe:

Day 1=arrive Shannon, rent car
Days 1-8=tour Ireland by car (best is to go counterclockwise to Dublin, stopping in, for example, Killarney National Park/Muckross House, Kinsale, Kenmare, Adare, etc.)
Drop rental car in Dublin and fly cheapo flight to London.
Day 8=arrive London, stay 3 nights
Day 11=Chunnel to Paris, stay 3 nights
Day 14=fly home

It would be hectic, but "doable" for a trip. With 12 days I might fly into Dublin and stay at least 2 nights/visit Wicklow area, keeping remaining itinerary the same.

Mar 5th, 2002, 02:23 PM
elvira

Open jaw into Dublin or Shannon; spend 7 days.

Fly Ryanair or whatever no-frills airline to London. Spend 3 days.

Take the Eurostar either evening of the third day or first thing the morning of the 4th day. 3 days in Paris. Fly out of Paris.

Don't do less than two days in each city, or you'll spend more time traveling than seeing.

Hopscotching (is it PC to say that, Sheila?) across Europe is certainly do-able. Sort of fun to have no segue between places..."here we are at Big Ben" "here we are at the Eiffel Tower".

Mar 5th, 2002, 02:31 PM
Jean

The two weeks would be 12 days there plus the 2 travel days. We know we will probably have to settle with just a day in Paris and a day in London. We'll probably maximize our time there with city tours. Besides time constraint, these cities are looking to be real budget breakers on the hotel accomodations, so just a couple of nights in each city would be fine with us. Ireland is the top priority, and we'd really like to do cottage rentals. That might put us in one region for the better part of a week, and we would satellite out from there on day trips.

Mar 5th, 2002, 02:48 PM
J

FYI, I just booked (for mid April) London-Dublin and Dublin-Paris via Ryan Air; and Paris back to London via Buzz airlines: Total flight cost only approx $130 per person. Priority is London, so only 2 nights in Ireland and Paris each. Drawback is Ryan Air only flies to Paris/Beauvais, 35 km outside of Paris. But, for 10 euros, Ryan provides a shuttle to downtown.

Mar 5th, 2002, 04:20 PM
janis

Jean - "probably have to settle with just a day in Paris and a day in London." If you only have a day for London you need to skip London and use the time better in Ireland. Honestly. Unless you simply want to check it off a list - you won't see anything or even get a feel for it in one day.

The same almost goes for Paris - the only minor difference is that most of the tourist attraction (except Montmarte) are within walking distance of each other.

So using 12-14 days here a realistic way to do it 6 days in Ireland (Skip Dublin since you will be seing London and Paris and both are better than Dublin). Spend all 6 days in one or two areas of Ireland - the Southwest and maybe Galway. Fly to Paris in the AM and stay one night. That will gve most of 2 days to see PART of Paris. Then Eurostar to London and spend the rest of your time there (4 to 6 days depending on the total length of your trip.)

But my REAL recommendation is pick two Ireland and London OR Ireland and Paris - not all 3.

Mar 5th, 2002, 04:32 PM
Jean

Janice, thank you for your advice. But....Skip Dublin?!? I should have mentioned I'm a huge U2 fan!!! Don't plan to spend long there, but just have to check out the highlights. Maybe the Temple Bar area. Then, move on! Thanks!

Mar 5th, 2002, 04:39 PM
janis

OK, one day in Dublin

But then get out of there and into the country!

Mar 5th, 2002, 04:46 PM
Jean

Janice...you don't have any tips on how to actually catch a glimpse of the world's greatest band while there, do you?!? (I suppose that's another post entirely!) But...thanks!!!

Mar 5th, 2002, 04:55 PM
janis

not personally - but with all the websites devoted to them, you should be able to get some useful info.

Mar 6th, 2002, 12:38 AM
shadow

Jean-my husband and myself and 8 friends did this last summer. We flew
LAX to Newark, Newark to Shannon-10 days in Ireland. Then, Dublin to London Gatwick on Ryan Air-3 days in London. Then, the Eurostar from London to Paris-4 days in Paris then flew from Paris to Newark, Newark to LAX. We had 19 days including travel days. We paid $750 RT Open Jaw (in later June) for airfare, then another $100 for Ryan Air and $75 each for one-way London-Paris with a group disc. I think we paid too much for the Ryan Air though.
Shadow