Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   Can I swim in Positano (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/can-i-swim-in-positano-251111/)

Ivy Jan 8th, 2008 05:59 PM

Can I swim in Positano

Am planning my first trip to the amalfi coast and would like opinions about the following:

1) how is the swimming in positano? If the hotel I pick does not have a pool, will the beach be OK?

2) I will be going mid June, is the timing OK for swimming?

Opinions appreciated and thanks so much!

sunsurfsand Jan 8th, 2008 06:14 PM

Only if you wear your bathers.

CasaDelCipresso Jan 8th, 2008 06:25 PM

hahahahahahahaha ;-)

yes.

AisleSeat Jan 8th, 2008 06:48 PM

Sorry, I can't resist. Can you swim whereever you are now. I doubt that being in Positano will change you abilities much.

bellastarr Jan 8th, 2008 06:57 PM

If you can swim, you may.

hypatia Jan 8th, 2008 07:37 PM

you have a wet suit?

vincenzod Jan 9th, 2008 06:05 AM

Not only you can; you . . . . MUST !!!
And, by the way, do not miss Baia di Turtigliano: wonderful to swim, there.

Vincenzo

bellastarr Jan 9th, 2008 06:17 AM

Where is Baia di Turtigliano, Vincenzo?

Weadles Jan 9th, 2008 07:54 AM

I love Positano, but I wouldn't go there for the beach. It's just not that nice. When we visited, the water looked and felt brackish, almost like a lake with too much algae in it. Also it can be quite crowded in the summer months.

There's better swimming at the beach in Atrani, as well as off the sides of a boat. And there are many small coves along the coast.

cheryllj Jan 9th, 2008 09:01 AM

I agree with Weadles: I love Positano (gorgeous!!), but if you are going there for a "beach" experience, you will be disapppointed.

Of course you *can* swim there (if you CAN!), just be aware that the beach is small, pebbly and crowded. Don't get your hopes up for some glamorous European beach destination because you won't find it there.

SeaUrchin Jan 9th, 2008 09:11 AM

Spiaggia Fornillo is larger, just follow the little walkway to the right from the Positano pier. There are many coves too. I am curious about Baia di Turtigliano too!

nytraveler Jan 9th, 2008 09:47 AM

Most beaches on the Amalfi coast are not very attractive to people used to FL or the Carib. They are generally pebbles versus sand, are not very big, there are essentially no waves and the water is, while warm enough for me - may not be if you're not expecting FL temps. It's not exactly crystal clear and gorgeous. I would focus on a hotel with a good pool.

bellastarr Jan 9th, 2008 10:05 AM

Seaurchin,
Not to gang up on Vincenzo, but we must get to the bottom of this, though I almost hope he makes us find it for ourselves!

SeaUrchin Jan 9th, 2008 10:19 AM

Ha, I know. I am wracking my brain on this. I know the names of some of the hidden coves in the area and it doesn't sound familiar. Maybe it is nearer Massa Lubrense.

BTW, I was just dreaming of Jhonny's Pizza in Massa L. I wonder if it is still there....

bellastarr Jan 9th, 2008 12:17 PM

Hi Sea,
I just found some films of giant storm waves in Praiano. Daydreams never seem to leave, so they?

But to tell the truth, I like swimming at Baio Jeranto, over on the Penisola Sorrentina-more remote, but beautiful and the water is so clean!
Somehow I always wonder about the beaches that sit at the base of more heavily populate parts of the AC, you can imagine why! (Think infrastructure)

Ivy Jan 9th, 2008 12:31 PM

OK I admit, not the most eloquently written of posts on my part, it was 10:00 at night, I was tired. But thanks to the serious responders. May I ask, how does one get to these out of the way coves? we plan to have a car with us, is that a good idea? Education appreciated.

Weadles Jan 9th, 2008 01:09 PM

There are water taxis that will take you to some of the smaller coves, as well as larger boat companies like Salvatore e Gennore (spelling??) that offer tours of the coast.

bellastarr Jan 9th, 2008 02:19 PM

Hi Ivy, SOrry for the teases!
Well, if you want to go to Punta Cumpanella or Baio Jeranto, they're on the Sorrentine Penninsula, which is an easy drive from Positano,)if you go in the morning before the tour buses start their routes. Later, the traffic can get heavy and slow on the AC.
You can find maps for Baiao Jeranto and Punta Cumpanella in the tourist offices in Sant'Agata Sul Due Golfi or MassaLubrense (towns on the Sorrentine Penninsula)
Baiao Jeranto is near the town of Nerano, and Punta Cumpanella is accessible from the town of Termini.
These require parking and hiking to the bays, which is a bit strenuous.

It's a different atmosphere than Positano though, more nature oriented. Seaurchin's suggestion of Fornillo Beach is a good one for Positano.

I think you would also have fun by hiring a boat with a guide to access coves from the water!

The Beach at Atrani is large and many locals use that one.

But it's good to remember that all the Beaches are stony, so a pair of wading shoes will help.
For boat tours, Salvatore and Gennaro's booth in on the dock at Positano.
Or you can also hire boats further along the coast at Marina Praia, just past Praiano.

Ivy Jan 9th, 2008 04:50 PM

thanks so much - that's very helpful!

sunsurfsand Jan 9th, 2008 05:42 PM

Ivy, I was just having a little joke with you.
My excuse is I am from Australia.

As everyone has said, Italian beaches are not what you will probably be used to. No golden sand and breakers etc. - usually grey sand or pebbles. I prefered the hotel pool myself.