Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Can I skip the last leg of this flight to save money ?

Jan 29th, 2007, 12:51 PM
Original Poster

Delta is offering good deals to certain European destinations. (Although my trip is later than their offers, my question is about the general principle involved...) A RT ticket to Milan would be roughly $1000, with the last layover at CDG-Paris - which is my real destination. Can I buy these sort of tickets and just not take the last flight ?

I am sure that there is a name for this concept, but I am not a FF, so I really don't know much about this sort of thing. Thanks.
Jan 29th, 2007, 12:55 PM

You can get off at CDG. But the rest of your ticket will be canceled. So, if you're coming back, fine.

It sounds like you don't want to skip the last leg of your flight, but an intermediate leg of a roundtrip ticket. If you got off at CDG, and didn't fly to Milan, you would be unable to take your return flight home because those legs would be cancelled.
ira

Hi Y,

I think it's called hidden-city.

Let's say you fly to Milan, stay some time in Italy and then take the plane home via CDG.

You get off the plane with your carryon and disappear. Delta won't come after you.

However, don't have any checked baggage.

That will be routed to the final destination.

I mean if you're not coming back, then it's okay.
Jan 29th, 2007, 12:57 PM

Is you don't take any legs of your itinerary, then the rest of the reservation is cancelled. So, the last layover is in Paris? If you get off the plane in Paris and your final destination is Milan (is that what you mean?), then the remainder of your itinerary, including your return home, is cancelled. Also, another problem- your checked baggage is checked to your final destination, so you won't see your luggage!
Jan 29th, 2007, 12:57 PM

You can not just take the last flight, but the remainder of your itinerary is then cancelled.

So, for instance, if you're taking a flight from JFK-CDG-MXP (return flight MXP-CDG-JFK), but on your way to MXP, you decide to finish your trip at CDG, then you will have the remainder of your trip cancelled, and no way of returning to JFK unless you purchase a new set of tickets.

Is this what you meant? Sorry it's not so clear. Others will come by and explain better than me.
Jan 29th, 2007, 12:59 PM
Original Poster

WillTravel - you are correct - I misstated. I guess that it is not as simple as I had thought. Plus I don't want two weeks of luggage ending up in Italy when I am in France. Thanks for the insights everyone!