Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Can I skip one leg of my flight and get on at the connection?

Old Sep 20th, 2006, 06:06 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have a flight booked (through Orbitz, on Lufthansa) from Madrid to the US, with a connection in Frankfurt. However, I will be spending most of my time on this vacation in Andalucia, and getting back to Madrid for the 6am flight out will be a real hassle.

I realize now that it would make more sense if I book a cheap flight from Malaga to Frankfurt the day before my scheduled flight, then check in at Frankfurt the next morning to get back to the States. Would the airline have any problem with me doing this?
Old Sep 20th, 2006, 06:10 AM

You cannot do that. If you don't show up for your flight in Madrid, your subsequent flights will be cancelled. You need to have some pretty good excuse at the correct timing for LH to reinstate the final leg. Do not do this.
Old Sep 20th, 2006, 06:24 AM

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
<Would the airline have any problem with me doing this?>

YES. You could skip the last leg of a trip, but not any prior to that. If you do it will cancel the remainder of your ticket.

Ideally you would have booked an "open jaw" ticket in the first place, flying in to Madrid and out of Frankfurt.
Old Sep 20th, 2006, 06:54 AM

I just want to second what has been said previously. I guess you could call Lufthansa and see if they would allow you to cancel the Mad-Frankfurt leg with no repercussions but I doubt they will.
Old Sep 20th, 2006, 07:10 AM
Original Poster

Thanks for the advise everyone. I imagine I could change my itinerary with Orbitz, but they'll probably charge me a couple hundred dollars to do it. Oh, well, lesson learned. I guess I'll just have to get up really early in Madrid that morning.