Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   Can I share my seat in Business Class? (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/can-i-share-my-seat-in-business-class-663930/)

canterbury Dec 12th, 2006 01:31 PM

Can I share my seat in Business Class?

Our family is headed to Europe (final countries not yet chosen) in April 2007 on American Airlines. DH and I are sitting in Business Class, the kids will be in Coach.

Would the FAs allow me to swap with my kids on a temporary basis (they just want to try it out for an hour or so)?

Mucky Dec 12th, 2006 01:53 PM

What a tremendous piece of planning !!
;-)
I doubt if they would be too pleased to see you swap.
I think you should leave the kids where they are, enjoy the advantages of BC.
Don't spoil the kids, they have to learn to appreciate the pitfalls of economy before they get the slightest opportunity to travel BC.
Pain to gain..lol :-)

I would say nothing and just pop back occasionally to smuggle some snacks to them..lol
Harsh but fair !!
Muck

suze Dec 12th, 2006 02:02 PM

How old are your kids?

wombat7 Dec 12th, 2006 02:18 PM

I would be highly surprised if there was any problem with a swap - have seen it happen on several occasions but not on AA. Would suggest that eithe ryou or DH stay up front while the other swaps with one of the kids and the repeat.

Also avoid doing this during the service (last thing they want is people trotting up an down the aisles when they are trying to serve) and be very discrete about smuggling back snacks.

A few flights ago one couple was doing the same - before landing the in-charge actually brought the kids up to a couple of empty busines sclass seats (one of whichwas next to me) so that all the family could exit the plane together. The in-charge asked me before ahnd if this was okay (ie to take up the empty seat next to me)

nona1 Dec 12th, 2006 02:18 PM

You'll just have to ask and find out on the day.

As you are leaving the 'kids' on their own in coach we can assume that they are quite big. So I suspect that the answer will be 'no' - otherwise you'd get loads of people 'sharing' business facilities. Couples taking it in turns to sleep on the much more comfortable bed/seat etc...while only paying for one b.c. place.

canterbury Dec 12th, 2006 02:45 PM

The kids are 1-1/2 and 4 years old.

canterbury Dec 12th, 2006 02:49 PM

Just kidding!

Kids are 17 and 18, well behaved and experienced travelers.

I just wanted them to see what it was like up front. And send them the message that "this is the reward for working hard in school."

I've only traveled First Class once (and never trans-Atlantic), DH does Business Class most of the time.

maitaitom Dec 12th, 2006 03:04 PM

"The kids are 1-1/2 and 4 years old."

canterbury, you should have waited to spill the beans on their real ages. I would have LOVED to see the responses.

Hope it all works out for you.

((H))

canterbury Dec 12th, 2006 03:07 PM

maitai -

I was going to, but I didn't want to rile everyone up in the Holiday Season!

AnselmAdorne Dec 12th, 2006 03:10 PM

"The kids are 1-1/2 and 4 years old." LOL!!

This question has come up several times on one of the FlyerTalk forums I haunt. Best advice to give you is to select seats at the back of the business class cabin so that any swapping will be less evident or dispruptive to others in J. Then ask the in-charge after you board. Worst that can happen is they'll ask you not to.

Anselm

Statia Dec 12th, 2006 03:12 PM

I don't know about AA, but when I flew my mom to Rome in Business on CO and my sister was flying with her (in coach), they would not even allow my sister into first to check on her during the 10 hour flight. Being that my mom had wheelchair assistance and was on various medications this really surprised me.

Of course, they had no issues with going back to get my sister when Mom became very ill on the return flight. She was by all means allowed up there to look after her then. Go figure.

Statia Dec 12th, 2006 03:14 PM

Sorry if my post seems sketchy....Continental only has "BusinessFirst." So, that's the class my mom was in.

kgh8m Dec 12th, 2006 04:03 PM

1 1/2 and 4! Very funny!

"Reward for working hard in school", huh? DH and I worked hard in school, have good jobs, and we can't bring ourselves to pay for anything but coach!

My only concern is whether or not you can lift your children. Because on my flights to Europe, I have been so uncomfortable, I have dreamed of sneaking into business or first class. If someone actually offered me their seat for a little while, they'd probably have to drag me back out of it!

pvan Dec 12th, 2006 04:06 PM

As a flight attendant I would suggest you not swap seats with your kids. Can you imagine if everyone in BC or FC did this? I also suggest you go back to coach when you need to talk to your kids. IMO, you need to respect the other passengers and the atmosphere of the cabin.

Most flight attendants do frown upon people coming up to BC or FC to chat, again out of respect for the other passengers.

suze Dec 12th, 2006 04:21 PM

I put this question to the "what if everyone did this?" test... so my answer would be no.

CarolA Dec 12th, 2006 05:16 PM

Well I have seen it done on Delta and as a Business Class passenger it never really bothered me. Generally it was after the meal service and everyone was at least trying to sleep so I doubt most folks even noticed the temporary change. (And on my last AA flight in Business once the meal was served the FAs DISAPPERED so they would not know. They only came out when you rang the bell, which of course made for a lot of bell ringing LOL!)

Barbara Dec 12th, 2006 05:56 PM

This must be about the only post ever about kids on planes that makes most people smile, if not laugh out loud.

Congratulations and have a great flight!

Scarlett Dec 12th, 2006 06:07 PM

LOL, The kids are 1-1/2 and 4 years old !!
Thank you for the giggles.

historytraveler Dec 12th, 2006 06:40 PM

You know it's really not that big a deal (first/business class). Leave them in coach. They'll survive.

bluestar Dec 12th, 2006 06:47 PM

Ask the lead flight attendant once the plane is boarded and before takeoff.