Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   Can I see the French countryside without a car? (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/can-i-see-the-french-countryside-without-a-car-833740/)

GypsyHeart Apr 1st, 2010 10:37 AM

Can I see the French countryside without a car?

My mother and I will be in France the first week of June. We will spend part of the time in Paris, and hope to leave the city for several days. Is this possible to do without a car? I know we probably won't get to explore out of the way chateaus, but we would like to take the train to a quaint small town or two to soak up the life. Or even a bus...any advice is greatly appreciated. We would rather leave for several days before returning to Paris to sightsee than do day trips from the city.

Sue4 Apr 1st, 2010 12:29 PM

You could take the train to Amboise in the Loire Valley. There may not be many trains direct to Amboise, but you can also take the TGV to St. Pierres des Corps (near Tours), then transfer to Amboise. It's a popular small town with a great Chateau, good restaurants. Also, the manor house where Leonardo da Vinci spent the last years of his life is there, and quite interesting. There are also minivan tours from Amboise (as well as Tours) to many of the famous chateaux. The tour company I remember is ACCO DISPO, and they have a website so you could get an idea of their offerings. Amboise also has many nice places to stay. This is just one idea for you, among many.

Another would be Bayeux in Normandy, or Beaune in Burgundy. But I think Amboise really has a lot to offer.

StCirq Apr 1st, 2010 12:36 PM

Sure, there are a thousand and one places like that, in every direction from Paris: Chartres, Compiègne, Provins, Rouen, Reims, Epernay, Amboise, Blois, Auxerre, Troyes, and a gazillion destinations in Normandy, Brittany, Burgundy, and Alsace.

Closer to Paris are Auver-sur-Oise, Giverny, Chantilly, Senlis,Saint-Denis, Fontainebleau, Vaux-le-Vicomte, Les Andelys...you get the idea. I would do some research and find a place or two that appeal to you.

mpprh Apr 1st, 2010 11:43 PM

Why not aim to see something rather different ?

The TGV to Avignon runs through the Rhone valley and takes 2.5hrs.

From Avignon you can visit Pont Roman, Papal Palace, Nimes, Arles, Marseille, Chhateaunuf du Pape vineyards, some Provence villages, etc by public transport/organised tour.

Peter

GypsyHeart Apr 2nd, 2010 12:09 PM

Thanks everyone, this is great. I needed a place to start my research.

GypsyHeart Apr 8th, 2010 07:03 AM

Ok, now I am thinking train/bus only, no car. Would I be too rushed if we went early Monday via high seed train to Avignon and then bus to Arles, wandered around Arles in the evening and stayed there. Left after lunch to go to St Remy and stayed there, then back to Paris on Wednesday. With the thinking that the train and bus will have nice country scenery. Is that too much travel? Should I pick one or the other? (Yes, I am a fan of the Impressionists, but care more about the atmosphere of the town.)

ira Apr 8th, 2010 08:17 AM

Hi GH,

>Would I be too rushed if .....<

I think so. Either Avignon/Arles or St Remy/Les Baux.

((I))

StuDudley Apr 8th, 2010 08:37 AM

Most shops in Avignon will be closed on Monday morning (been there then) - so see the Palais first, then wander through Avignon for the remainder of the day. Many (not all) shops will open aroud 2:30 or later. You probably won't have time to also see Arles that day - see it on Tues - but some museums may be closed on Tuesday.

Stu Dudley