Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Can I rent 1 week in Sienna and day trip by bus to: Montacino, Montepulciano, San G., Florence, Castello di Chianti and Orvieto?

Search

Can I rent 1 week in Sienna and day trip by bus to: Montacino, Montepulciano, San G., Florence, Castello di Chianti and Orvieto?

Search this Thread

Old Mar 21st, 2004, 05:52 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I would like someone to recommend a villa in Sienna where you could walk to the bus and day trip to all or most of the above towns. We would like to visit these towns without a car, come back to our home base, shower and walk to a quaint restaurant nearby. We do not like deserted areas,but we also do not like too noisy to sleep. Can some of you help us? As inexpensive as possible, as long as it is clean with warm hospitality and acessible.
Old Mar 21st, 2004, 07:34 AM
ira

Hi Meesa,

I think you might find it more convenient to stay in Florence to visit those places.

PS only one "n" in Siena, in case you have to look it up.
Old Aug 21st, 2004, 08:31 AM

I'm "bumping" this message up, because I am also looking for a similar answer! We will probably not have a car, and are deciding where we should base.

We will have a few days in Florence most likely, but I would really love to be in a more countryside location for a week (it's our honeymoon) .

If you have already been on your trip, can you share what you did? Thank you!
Old Aug 21st, 2004, 09:43 AM

Staying in the counryside and not having a car really don;t go together very well. You can base in one of the bigger or smaller towns and travel by train or bus - but to really be in the countryside - especially renting a villa - you will really need a car.
Old Aug 21st, 2004, 09:52 AM

I agree. You can see some Tuscan towns without a car, but you cannot really see Tuscany. I stop every :15 for a photo op, and take the small roads past remote wineries and to the small churches and abbeys. You need a car for that.
Old Aug 21st, 2004, 10:37 AM

Gee, Bob, as I've been posting, normally I'd agree with you, but you're missing an important point. We spent a week in Montepulciano this summer traveling much in that area without a car. Yes we stopped at small farms, country churches, wineries, and a cheese producer. You don't need a car to do that. Yea we stop for photo ops too, and you can do that just as easily when walking as when driving. You may not cover AS MUCH area, but you can certainly cover more in depth without a car! In the past I can't tell you how many times we whipped by things we never even noticed. But you can't take a two mile hike anywhere in Tuscany without seeing and experiencing a lot!

Now if it is a first trip to Tuscany and you have a LOT of places that are must sees, then yes, it is difficult without a car. But if you want to really experience an area of Tuscany, you can have great success without one.
Old Aug 21st, 2004, 01:11 PM

Good point Patrick.
Now we have 2 ways to see Tuscany--walk or drive. Your call !
Old Aug 21st, 2004, 01:26 PM

How about a combination? Spend one week with a car, then a week in a specific area without one? That might be the best of two worlds.
Old Aug 21st, 2004, 01:42 PM

meesa,

Ira makes a good point (not abnormal for him), so you might first investigate the public transportation schedules to/from your destinations from Florence vs. Siena.

While Castella and Montepulciano are closer to Siena than Florence proper (which likely makes it easier to reach such destinations from Siena), you really should not cheat yourself with a day trip to Florence, bc there is so much to see and do there.

Either way, you can't go wrong...this is beautiful country!
Old Aug 21st, 2004, 03:00 PM
mdv

You can get to Siena via bus from Florence. That's not a problem. I do agree with Bob, though. I think the countryside calls for a car.

The one week with a car and one without it is a great idea, too.

Also, check the Slow Travelers' website if you haven't already for both villa suggestions and transportations suggestions.

Enjoy your trip. I loved Orvieto! Drove there twice from Montepulciano.
Old Aug 22nd, 2004, 05:26 AM
ira

ttt
Old Sep 24th, 2004, 12:49 AM

We just did something similar.

We stayed in Siena and daytripped to Florence, San G, and Montepulciano.

The bus winds through a lot of countryside--depends how much of a good thing you want I guess.