Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   Can I meet an old friend at the @ Amsterdam airport during 2 hr layover ? (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/can-i-meet-an-old-friend-at-the-amsterdam-airport-during-2-hr-layover-776506/)

LostinBoston Apr 1st, 2009 02:52 PM

Can I meet an old friend at the @ Amsterdam airport during 2 hr layover ?

I don't know the rules about security at this airport. I shall just have carry-on bag.
If the flight is on time, it would be a real treat to have a brief meeting.
Is this too risky re: meeting out outgoing flight to Spain?
We'll be flying in on a Northwest flight and the flight to Spain is Northwest (operated by KLM airlines).

Bill_H Apr 1st, 2009 03:39 PM

You would have to exit the secure area and meet up in the area with all the shops etc, then go thru the security line again. Only problem would be having enough time.

hetismij Apr 2nd, 2009 12:57 AM

You will go through passport control on arrival, since you are entering Schengen. You can then go out of the secure area to meet your friend, and back through the Schengen area in departure hall 1 -no passport control, but your ticket/boarding pass will be checked, you will then go through security. 2 hours is tight but if you keep an eye on the time and allow a lot of time for security - all Schengen flights go through one security check, unlike other flights which have security at the gate, you could just about do it I guess. Whether your friend thinks its worth schlepping out to Schiphol for a half hour chat and a cup of coffee is another matter.

Whether you go landside or not you will go through security again. I'd rather spend the two hours relaxing air side than having a a hasty meeting and clock watching.

You will go through passport control on arrival, since you are entering Schengen. You can then go out of the secure area to meet your friend, and back through the Schengen area in departure hall 1 -no passport control, but your ticket/boarding pass will be checked, you will then go through security. 2 hours is tight but if you keep an eye on the time and allow a lot of time for security - all Schengen flights go through one security check, unlike other flights which have security at the gate, you could just about do it I guess. Whether your friend thinks its worth schlepping out to Schiphol for a half hour chat and a cup of coffee is another matter.

Whether you go landside or not you will go through security again. I'd rather spend the two hours relaxing air side than having a a hasty meeting and clock watching.

Sorry for the double posting- don't know how that happened!

NEDSIRELAND Apr 2nd, 2009 01:47 AM

When we went Northwest/KLM to Spain, our connecting flight was the most distant Gate from Schipol's central area. And when we got there, the Gate attendant told us we were supposed to Check-in and pick up Boarding Passes back at the Central Hub of the 'Wheel & Spokes' configuration. We had to go back and we darn near missed our flight.

Because of this bad experience, I wouldn't advise anything other than a direct route for making a connection there.

hetismij Apr 2nd, 2009 03:30 AM

I was assuming they would be checked through and have the boarding passes for the Spain leg issued in the US. I'm kind of surprised you didn't have that Ned.

Roce48 Apr 2nd, 2009 04:13 AM

Why not pay the extra and ask for a change in your itinerary.
This would be cheaper than having to buy another ticket if you missed your flight. A two hour layover does not really give you enough time in my opinion.