Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Can I go to Northern Ireland from Belfast without tours?

Jun 12th, 2019, 07:05 AM
Original Poster

I and my husband are planning to go to Belfast and currently looking for a way to get to
Carrick-a-Rede Ropebridge and Dark hedge forest by public transport.

Is there anyone who has experienced visited those areas without using any tours?
Is Belfast good to travel by public transport?
Because we do not want to spend a whole day for a tour.

I appreciate your help in advance!
Jun 12th, 2019, 08:29 AM

They are in very rural locations -- without a tour you would need to rent a car. And even driving, you'd still need most of a day since the round trip drive is about 3 hours. A tour is your best bet.

(your title was a bit confusing because Belfast is IN Northern Ireland -- but your actual question did make sense)
Jun 12th, 2019, 09:11 AM

https://www.translink.co.uk

i
s the key tool for the North's public transport. I'd hire a car. use Autoeurope.
Jun 12th, 2019, 01:03 PM

Yes you do not have to do a tour as your own car can cover the same routing and let you go at leisure - not being with dozens of others is nice too - some like that too.
Jun 12th, 2019, 01:39 PM

Originally Posted by PalenQ View Post
Yes you do not have to do a tour as your own car can cover the same routing and let you go at leisure - not being with dozens of others is nice too - some like that too.

Pal - once again you apparently did not read the OP.

>> . . . a way to get to Carrick-a-Rede Ropebridge and Dark hedge forest by public transport.<<.. By public transport, a tour is the ONLY viable option.

Jun 13th, 2019, 01:59 AM

Originally Posted by gusebqkr223 View Post
I and my husband are planning to go to Belfast and currently looking for a way to get to
Carrick-a-Rede Ropebridge and Dark hedge forest by public transport.

Is there anyone who has experienced visited those areas without using any tours?
Is Belfast good to travel by public transport?
Because we do not want to spend a whole day for a tour.

I appreciate your help in advance!
As stated, you will need a car, which is very cheap to rent in Northern Ireland, maybe £20-30 per day. Then you can do everything you please on your schedule! I couldn't imagine taking a tour and not self driving! Enjoy!
Jun 15th, 2019, 03:32 PM

Got back 2 weeks ago from Northern Ireland road trip.

Dark Hedges was a total disappointment.
The crowds were overwhelming - shoulder to shoulder with people, many dropping trash.
Gigantic tour buses. Problems finding parking.
It is totally overrun by tourists and GOT fans.
Couldn't get a single decent photography.
Waited for years to go there and was truly sad to see how overrun this location is now.
Jun 15th, 2019, 04:50 PM

Originally Posted by LindaBrinck View Post
Got back 2 weeks ago from Northern Ireland road trip.

Dark Hedges was a total disappointment.
The crowds were overwhelming - shoulder to shoulder with people, many dropping trash.
Gigantic tour buses. Problems finding parking.
It is totally overrun by tourists and GOT fans.
Couldn't get a single decent photography.
Waited for years to go there and was truly sad to see how overrun this location is now.

So sorry Linda, we went in May and October and were the only ones there. We did a small bus tour, McCombs and he had flat stanleys of characters we posed with. It was fun. October was the same. This was two and three years ago. I was just disappointed that both times the trees were not in full bloom.
I would do a small bus tour op. You get to enjoy the scenery along the way which I would not see keeping my focus on the roads.
Jun 16th, 2019, 06:01 AM

Oh no. I booked a tour to both places. I've always wanted to see the dark hedges but I don't drive on vacation. I hope it's not like my experiences when trying to get to the fairy pools in Scotland where the guide just wouldn't take us.
Jun 16th, 2019, 05:35 PM

We were at the Dark Hedges at the end of March. We went right after breakfast and were virtually alone, I think it was about 9:30. We parked in the free parking lot at the hotel and walked over. We walked the length of it and as we approached the far end, a small bus load of people had arrived and were walking toward us so we quickly turned around and grabbed some photos. I, too, wished we had seen them with their leaves but we both thought it was a very cool lane. Sassy, hopefully your tour will get there at a lull in the activity.

Unfortunately, some more trees have fallen. One had fallen just a few weeks prior into the farmer's field, thus it was considered his property. He had a for sale sign on it and the guy we talked to who was picking up litter said that someone in China had offered £10,000 but there was an issue of how to ship it over, ha! He said the other trees had fallen into the road so were owned by the gov't but this one belonged to Jimmy McGuire (or something). He kept repeating that ole Jimmy got to do what he wanted with it. And, as we were leaving, some selfish entitled idiots drove their car up, parked right next to a tree on the roots. That is why they are falling over.

View from the end by hotel

View from far end

Fallen tree for sale