Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Can I get a taste of Frankfurt in one morning on a layover?

Oct 19th, 2009, 09:58 AM
Original Poster

I'm travelling from Abu Dhabi back to Canada through Frankfurt. I arrive at 5:50 am and don't fly out until 2:30 pm

Would it be worthwhile to leave the airport and see some of the sights in the morning?

If so, what time should I be back to make it through security to catch my 2:30pm flight?

Thanks for any assistance...
Oct 19th, 2009, 10:14 AM

Certainly - rather than sitting around an airport all day just hop the very frequent S-Bahn trains into the heart of Frankfurt and mill around town for several hours - trains take about 30 mins right from the airport's Regional Bahnhof (train station) - check your luggage if you have any in the airport left-luggage depot. Check out the RomerPlatz and nice pedestrian shopping main drag, etc. If into museums Frankfurt has some world-class ones.

Or if you want something more manageable, and more romantic than the Manhattan on the Main, as Frankfurt is called because of its rare-for-europe skyscrapers in this international business mecca then you can also take trains from the airport to nearby cities like Worms, Speyer (each of these on the Rhine and having great cathedrals, Mainz or even the smaller towns on the fabled Rhine Gorge

If going in December check out the Christmas Markets in each town - Frankfurt's Romerplatz sports one of Germany's biggest and finest.
Oct 19th, 2009, 10:50 AM

A few years ago my sister, mother, and I slept through our stop at Heidelberg and ended up in Frankfurt. We went to the tourist office to arrange for a city tour that was pretty interesting, then hopped the next train to Heidelberg. It turned out to me a nice little "accident".

Perhaps you can either get into the city and arrange for a city tour, or do it on-line before you arrive. The advantage to waiting until you get there is that you can see how you feel after your arrival and proceed on your whim.
Oct 19th, 2009, 10:56 AM

I believe you can arrange city (Frankfurt) tours at the airport information desk - the tourist office in the arrivals hall. But just hopping the S-Bahn is a snap - right to the town centre.
Oct 19th, 2009, 12:27 PM

The S-bahn into Frankfurt city center takes 11 min. if you get off at the main train station - Hauptbahnhof, or 15 min. if you get off at the Hauptwache. Frankfurt is very walkable and you should be able to see quite a few things in a couple of hours. For an international flight I would suggest that you be back at the airport by 12:30.

If you search thru this forum, I have given very detailed directions to a couple of other people who were also on short layovers, how to see some of the main sites in just a couple of hours.

The city does offer tours, but the tourist office does not open until about 9 or so. Private tours with them will run you about 60 euro per hour, and I believe they have a min. of 2 hours. The bus tour I have heard is pretty crappy and a complete waste of 26 euro. Try googling for other walking tours that will give you a better price. I have seen them mentioned on Trip Advisor too.
Oct 19th, 2009, 11:01 PM

Found the post I was talking about:

http://www.fodors.com/community/euro...uggestions.cfm

Private city tours also have to be arranged ahead of time. You cannot just walk in to the tourist office and get one.
Oct 19th, 2009, 11:15 PM

I think it would be worthwhile to walk along the river, if nothing else. I only got a couple hours in Frankfurt, and that's about all I did, but I still found it interesting. I stayed at Hotel Excelsior by the train station, which was very convenient. I'd probably want a cheap bed, even if only a hostel bed, at some point in there.
Oct 20th, 2009, 10:14 AM

Munich citizens voted that no building in town may be higher than the Dom. Skyscapers are outlawed. Frankfurt imho is boring compared to Berlin and other towns up north. If you can visit in the south. . It's only a few km to Franconia. A far better and more relaxed lifestyle.
Oct 20th, 2009, 10:44 AM

They only have a couple of hours, so why send them off to some other city when they are already in a city that DOES have worthy things to see and do. Take a look please.

- The Römer and the Römerplatz. This is city hall, originally built in 1322 and the town square in front of it.
- Book Burning Memorial, site of the book burning that took place at the beginning of the Nazi regime, 10 May 1933.
- Alt Nikolai church, built in 1290, this is a beautiful example of Gothic simplicity
- House Wertheim, the inner city's only original half-timbered house left at the end of World War II, we tell you how it was saved and more importantly why. One of the most amazing stories about Frankfurt and the war.
- St. Leonhards, built in 1219, and inside is the only example of a "hanging vault" anywhere. Also romanesque carvings from 1220, frescos from 1400's, and star vaulting from 1400. Pilgrimage church for the Santiago del Compostela way
- Joerg Ratgeb frescos - painted in 1513-1519, these are the largest wall paintings north of the alps. Located in the City Archives, you can view these for free weekdays from 0830-1630
- Eisener Steg, a pedestrian bridge over the Main river, paid for by the citizens of Frankfurt, it offers a great view of the skyline and all the museums lining the riverbanks.
- St. Bartholomew, better known as the Kaiserdom, this sits in the same spot as the first church in Frankfurt built in 680. Most of the emperors were elected here beginning in 1152 and all the coronations took place here beginning in 1562. Beautifully restored frescos from 1430, and many other beautiful artworks along with one of the largest organs in Germany
- Deutsche Ordens church - Teutonic Order of Knights church built in 1309. Wonderful wall paintings dating back to early 1300's
- Archaeological ruins - Roman baths dating back to 70 A.D. and some of the palace walls that were here in 680.
- Stumble Stones, or in German, Stolper Steine.- unique way of remembering many of the victims that lost their lives due to the Nazi regime.
- Holocaust Memorial Wall, - A Memorial that the city of Frankfurt has chosen to honor the memory of its' Jewish citizens who were sacrificed during World War II. Anne, Margot, and Edith Frank are of course included on this wall of remembrance. Over 11,000 names on it.
- Medieval Jewish Cemetery, one of the oldest and largest Jewish cemeteries in Germany.
- Jewish Ghetto Wall- first erected in 1180 as part of the city defense wall, this became one of the walls that surrounded the ghetto built in 1462.
- Klein Markt Halle- this is a wonderful produce hall, filled with fruits, vegetables, cheeses, breads, meats and fish, and delicacies from around the world. (not part of the tour on Sundays and holidays)
- Hauptwache, built in 1729, this was once the main police station, jail and military garrison for the city. Rebuilt twice
- Bull and Bear, standing in front of the Frankfurt Stock Exchange.
- Thurn and Taxis palace, though reconstructed, this is a lovely example of architecture from the 1700's.
- Eschenheimer Turm, built in 1425 and once part of the city wall, this guard tower survived the war intact.
- Alte Oper, one of the most beautiful opera houses in Europe, this was first built in 1881. Though gutted in the war, it was finally rebuilt in 1981.
- Commerz Bank, on weekdays - walk through the lobby of the tallest building in Europe. This gives you an amazing view as you gaze up through the atrium that goes all the way through to the top of the building.
- Goethe House - view the house where Goethe was born in 1749
- Paulskirche, built in 1833, this was the location of the first parliament of Germany in 1848. Gutted in the war, it was rebuilt in 1948.
Oct 20th, 2009, 11:14 AM

Main'gal - what a great rundown - am copying for my next visit to Manhattan on the Main - great stuff.
Oct 20th, 2009, 11:55 AM

I know, the facts about Krankfurt are hard to swallow.
Oct 20th, 2009, 12:05 PM

Seriously, I remember a women at a supermarket here in suburban Munich years ago telling about how difficult it is because everyone downtown Krankfurt has a gun nowadays. I thought it was a little exaggerated, but since she said her daughter was studying and living there.. She was really worried about her safety.
Oct 20th, 2009, 12:38 PM

logos, your remarks are uncalled for as well as being completely false. Why would you write something like that? There is no reason for it.
Oct 20th, 2009, 01:08 PM

Just what I thought. Those are the facts, I'm just reporting them! I'm not living there. Maybe you're only 18, never been outside of suburbia?

But in fact I did witness shooting at the autobahn Frankfurter Kreuz Rasthaus between police and who knows. I was at the gas station filling up and was about to pay, (ducked, just a reflex but everyone else did too!, strange but funny like you know there's something wrong). Sounded not like on TV, but like suitcases falling down several times a rather low frequency sound.
Oct 21st, 2009, 07:13 AM
Original Poster

Thank you for the replies! Especially Mainhattengirl, your ideas and link are much appreciated.

My sister and I are really looking forward to our quick visit to Frankfurt in a couple of weeks. Too bad were not coming in December, so we could check out the Christmas markets -- they sound great!