Can I find Red Sox Nation in Europe?

Sep 19th, 2003, 05:18 PM
Original Poster

Can I find Red Sox Nation in Europe?

My husband and I are heading to London, Rome, and Venice on Tuesday (strange combination, I know, but that's a story for another day...) My husband is an ardent Red Sox fan, and it looks like the team will make the playoffs. He is experiencing severe angst at the thought of missing these critical games.

Any thoughts on where to catch a game in the above cities? We recognize that time differences will surely impact his ability to catch a little playoff action. Last year we visited Paris during the baseball season and were fortunate to find a neat bar for ex-pats. Does anyone know of such a place in London, Venice or Rome?
Sep 19th, 2003, 06:08 PM

Hi Lorna

Yankee fan here!! I feel your (husbands) pain. The games start at 8:30 pm EDT, that's 1:30am in London and 2:30am in Rome/Venice. I think you'll need to rent a villa with REAL satelite TV to watch any of the playoffs. You might get lucky though!
Good luck finding the games and winning any of them ;-)
Sep 19th, 2003, 08:36 PM
jor

Unbelievable! Why do you go to Europe if you want the comforts of home? Stay home and make sure you don't miss one minute of your "critical games".
Sep 19th, 2003, 09:12 PM

Why?
Sep 19th, 2003, 09:24 PM

Get into some of the European sports and teams. Its a lot of fun. Give up American sports for a week and have a good time.
Sep 19th, 2003, 10:43 PM

To the couple of posters, who are you to mandate what others should or should not do on their vacation? She asked for help finding a place to see her husbands favorite sport, not to get your ideas what their vacation should be like. If you can't help her with the question, then move on, don't force your opinion on others if not asked for it.

Lorna, I'm afraid Lewis is correct. The games would be too late to begin with and baseball is not big in any circles in Europe. I always try to catch American football game during the season when in Europe, but at least football has some local following so at the very least, most European sports channels will show the game of the week, and the time is little bit more convinient. I've never seen a baseball game on the sports channels, but I never really looked since I'm not a baseball fan. So as Lewis said, the only option would be to rent a house/apt with a satelite dish, stay up late at night. There may be a sports bar in one of the cities, or maybe all, that would show the games off tape the next day, but it would be like looking for a needle in a haystack.

Maybe somebody here knows of one.

Good Luck! and have a great trip!
Sep 20th, 2003, 01:57 AM

bring a laptop computer and sign up for MLB.com video. You can watch the games during he day, after the boradcast, if you pay their fee (not expensive)
Sep 20th, 2003, 03:39 AM
Original Poster

Thanks for the ideas. We haven't a laptop, so I guess my husband's out of luck, but that's OK. As a Red Sox fan, he's used to disappointment.

Sep 20th, 2003, 05:03 AM

As a fellow Red Sox fan, I can understand your husband's angst! I jusst came back from Ireland and while I couldn't find a place to watch games, I was able to follow scores by finding Internet cafes.
Sep 20th, 2003, 05:20 AM

Lorna, being a former Bostonian myself, I can understand your husband's pain. It would truly be a miracle if the Bo-Sox made it all the way. Would your husband watch the games if they were taped? If so, maybe your husband's buddies would be willing to tape the games while you're both on vacation and he can watch them repeatedly (only worth it if they win) when you arrive home.
Sep 20th, 2003, 05:40 AM

A selection of MBL events is shown on SkySport or ESPN Classic.
If your hotels have satellite tv you could be lucky enuogh to watch your team.
Sep 20th, 2003, 01:12 PM

I am a life-long Red Sox fan. I can only advise you to re-schedule your trip. I recognize that those outside RSN would never understand, but that's how it is.

Unfortunately, there is no possibility whatsoever of watching the games live. None of the Euro channels carry the games live (the ones LeCanard speaks of are on tape delay, sometimes weeks old). Even if you had a satellite receiver, the satellites over Europe are not the same satellites that are over No. America, so there's no satellite feed.

The best substitute -- and it is a very poor one -- is to have a laptop or PC on during the games and to get the pitch-by-pitch gamecast on ESPN.com (or similar -- CBS.Sportsline.com has it as well).

Please, this year, no Buckys, no Buckners.
Sep 20th, 2003, 03:42 PM

I've been a Red Sox fan for over 50 years(okay so I like disappoinments) and I check box scores daily via ESPN internet.
However I can only think of 2 things that take preference over the Sox and that is my SO and travel to Europe. I also will be in Europe during the playoffs with my SO so will have to make do wiyh USA Today papers for scores. Course they still could blow it !!But I have faith.
I also will enjoy my trip Sox win or lose.