Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Can I do better than $1,200 RT betw. RDU and Palermo?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jul 27th, 2002, 03:10 AM
Karen

Help! Am planning a special 50th birthday trip in October and I am dismayed by the prices I have seen for air fare. Can I do better than $1,200 (US dollars)?<BR><BR>Details: one traveler, trip length 15 days or so in October with flexible dates, flying from Raleigh, NC to Palermo Sicily, not a frequent flyer, willing to put up with some inconvenience for lower fares.<BR><BR>Have checked Expedia, Orbitz, and individual airlines Alitalia, Lufthansa, & a few others. All the fares seem to be about the same: $1,500 to $1,300. Ouch! What am I overlooking?

Old Jul 27th, 2002, 03:19 AM
x

Depends, how much inconvenience are you willing to put up with? You can always just buy RT to Rome, then take the train to Palermo, or take the train to Napoli and then the ferry to Palermo. Or, buy RT to Rome, and then another flight to Palermo on one of the domestic airlines. Good luck!

Old Jul 27th, 2002, 03:54 AM
xxx

There was anothr thread just like this in the past 2 or 3 days.

Old Jul 27th, 2002, 07:42 AM
Paul

Live 15 miles from RDU. Suggest you look at flights to Rome (USAir via PHL in Oct about $802 RT) then RT Rome to Palermo (Meridiana or Lufthansa about $130 RT). May even be chaper rates to Rome. Other possible way is AA to London (non-stop from RDU) and then try London (Gatwick to Palermo) to Palermo which will probably mean a change in Rome. Good luck.

Old Jul 27th, 2002, 08:07 AM
Art

Try travelteam.com. I just looked up and found fares from Raleigh to Rome for as low as US %611.00

Old Jul 27th, 2002, 10:59 AM
jorge

tip 1.. if there is a litle italy in your area try going too a travel agent there, especialy one that specializes in Italy...<BR><BR>I'll check some other options for ya...

Old Jul 27th, 2002, 12:06 PM
Gretchen

Look on USAir's site--I think they are having a sale now. Book to Rome and go the rest of the way by another carrier.

Old Jul 27th, 2002, 12:09 PM
x

try travelocity.com -- it seems to have more options for flexible travelers.