Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Can I book rail in the USA even if I do not get a rail pass.

Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 2nd, 2002, 07:41 AM
Debby

Thanks for all the advice I've gotten on this sight for my trip. We've decided to not get hte rail pass since so many places will be easier to get to by bus.<BR><BR>Can we make reservations for train trips in the USA?<BR> <BR>Como to Milan<BR>Milan to Venice<BR>Venice to Florence<BR>Florence to Siena<BR><BR>Which sight should I use? Should I use a travel agent?<BR>Thanks<BR><BR>Debby<BR>

Old Mar 2nd, 2002, 07:43 AM
Rex

Yes, you CAN, at www.raileurope.com - - but at a big markup in the price. almost none of "us veterans" here recommend that you do so.<BR><BR>Best wishes,<BR><BR>Rex<BR>

Old Mar 2nd, 2002, 07:50 AM
Debby

Rex, We will be traveling at the end of May, the middle of June. I understand that is heavy tourist season. Should we book once we get to Itlay?<BR>We go to Como first, by bus. Should we book all the days of travel at the Como train station once we get there? Or do you have a better suggestion. You are great to help! Debby

Old Mar 2nd, 2002, 10:05 AM
Rex

If the peace of mind helps you, book everything all at once - - or alternatively, each segment about 24 hours in advance. I find that weather and mood have the potential to alter (slightly - - for example, which departure, what hour of the day) when I might want to travel - - so I often don't do it even one day in advance.<BR><BR>But it's a matter of personal style.<BR>

Old Mar 2nd, 2002, 11:10 AM
ttt

to the top<BR>